Can someone give me a hand- how do I tell what motor my 18xl has?

Thatmustache

Hey I just have a quick question if anyone could enlighten me. I have a Kingsong 18xl that I got last summer. It was my first wheel and still my only wheel, i love it. But there's one thing I'm trying to figure out.

I read somewhere that the later ks18xl wheels in production were given stronger motors. Either 2000w or 2200w I cant remember. 

How do I tell what motor my current 18XL has? Is there some way to see it on the EUC world app or something?

The reason I want to know, is if I know what motor mine has, it can give me a better idea if I want something like a KS S18 to be my next wheel because I'm fine with the power it has, or if I should go the route of MSP.

Hopefully someone could help with that! Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

So mine must be before they beefed up the motor. I guess that begs a new question, what was the motor on the older ones

@Thatmustache I would not get to concerned about the 2200w motor. Many feel the 2000w has a better track record than the 2200w.

@Mike Sacristan said.....

The 2200W has started to get a bad rep for a very funny reason which will answer both of your questions. They are using the 2200W spec motor from the 16X. So again a power hungry motor that can't get enough power. Kingsong solves this with throttling and where throttling fails we have cut-offs. I would say they are are rider induced but that is putting a lot of responsibility on us as riders to get very well acquainted with the limits of the wheel.

That was from a thread I started about which first wheel to get. I got a 18xl and it had the 2200w motor (its all eWheels had in stock). Did you upgrade your firmware to 2.0? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Thatmustache said:

No I haven't updated the firmware to 2.0. Should I?

I was very impressed with the wheel performance after I upgraded to 2.0. I would skim through the thread below to see if the upgrade something you would like.

45 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

The reason I want to know, is if I know what motor mine has, it can give me a better idea if I want something like a KS S18 to be my next wheel because I'm fine with the power it has, or if I should go the route of MSP.

An important lesson to learn is that watching the nominal motor wattage ratings very closely will easily lead you astray. A 10% difference in wattage can  even be added just by the marketing department, and all other aspects that affect the wheel’s output power can make much bigger of an effect. Besides, the reports I’ve read on the 2200W improvements for the 18XL have been controversial enough that I don’t think there is a clear difference one way or the other.

The recent incline comparisons on the MSX vs MSP are clear, the MSP is much more powerful. But the MSX was already more powerful (at least in most situations) than the 18XL, and I doubt “adding” a few watts would change that very much. The firmware’s power delivery is intentionally very different between KS and GW. If you want a wheel that feels more powerful than the 18XL has (decided) to offer, GW is the only way to go (atm).

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

If you want a wheel that feels more powerful than the 18XL has (decided) to offer, GW is the only way to go (atm).

Thanks I appreciate your input. While I love my 18XL, I spend half my time off roading, and there have been many inclines and situations where I wished I had something more powerful. Although I've never even been on a group ride so it's not like I've ever tried any other wheels than my Kingsong. So I'm hoping MSP has got a lot more power and torque.

@bigwave

Thanks for linking me to that thread, most things about the new firmware look good, although the thing I see pop up a few times is people who say that after updating that it limited their speed again to very slow. Did you experience this when you updated your wheel?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thatmustache said:

Thanks for linking me to that thread, most things about the new firmware look good, although the thing I see pop up a few times is people who say that after updating that it limited their speed again to very slow. Did you experience this when you updated your wheel?

No, I did not have any speed limiting after the update. I noticed better acceleration and stiffer pedal feel after the update. I don't have the King Song App. I use DarknessBot (iOS) and the upgrade was no problem.