Gear Links

HuskerDawg

Hey ya'll - Looking for some good quality gear. Primarily wrist guards. Anyone have some good quality recommendations? Searching around, its hard to find quality! 

And SPlanet, I too have a very expensive Shoei helmet. To comfined and heavy for my EUC freedom cruises though. I opted for a rather inexpensive full faced Demon United Podium.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079XSVQXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If my face gets wrecked wearing that helmet at 25mph then I guess I wasn't meant to be pretty. I highly doubt I'll wear my Shoei to ride around at less then 25mph. Thats a lot of protection at those speeds and over kill in my book. But then again we're all entitled to opinions. To each their own but for now I am settling with inexpensive and light weight. 

I am having a heck of a time finding good wrist guards though and I'd prefer to find a good pair built into leather gloves but doesn't look like good ones exist. 

I also ordered a pair of Alta Contour knee protector pads. 

https://www.amazon.com/52913-00-AltaCONTOUR-Protector-Fastening-Flexible/dp/B00821BI9Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=OFSBJ6LW4GKU&dchild=1&keywords=altacontour+knee+pads&qid=1586902952&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=Alta+Contour%2Csporting%2C158&sr=1-2

• 2 weeks later...

Flexmeters for summer, and no gloves. DUnno what to say about winter.. flex meters and rediculously big gloves? You sense the pattern tho, right? I'm not a gear wearing person much. But, when i do, typically its at least the flexmeters(dos equis anyone?). SOmetimes I go all out, but its usually flexmeters or none. I'm not saying they are enough, but if ONE piece was all i could wear and needed gear... flexmeters. The likelyhood of your hands and wrists helping minimize further damage is pretty high up there. Manage to run out a lot of speed but still roll in the end... flexmeters, so your wrists survive, tho your shoulder won't be happy. If flexmeters dont make a size that fits you, try another brand of similar design.FLexMeters

Any decent downhill type mtb helmet should suffice. I dont mind mine. I mean it IS a helmet and not comfy as being helmetless, but it hits the right compromises. Being hot and heavy isnt an issue. Pretty much a foam bucket strapped to my head with a plastic outer shell. Not a miracle worker, but its something. Not fair to compare it to the heavier sport bike helmets. I may wear it JUST to hold a helmet cam, as it doesnt look as retarded as those helmet cam harness', and wearing ANY gear somehow magically makes me seem more believable. Total magic, go from noob to pro as fast as you can change clothes.Bell DH

Outer wear, just get something that fits and can accept aftermarket armor. Im having a pair of pants tailored up atm, but its just because fit is important more than anything. Well, that and properly sized and placed armor pockets per your final intent. If you can manage to find kneepads that fit and stay put, I'd go that route. I cant seem to use them however.Olympia Jacket    Olympia Pants

Honestly, my outer wear will also be used for light street motorcycle duty. Obviously not the helmet, but my pants and jacket were originally intended for my supermoto on hot lazy summer rides.. It just happens it shall serve as dual duty on an euc too.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

• 1 month later...

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/product/scott-grenade-evo-zip-knee-guards

Only took a month for mine to arrive from overseas, looks like the box was used for target practice. I must say, these are very comfortable. Im going to have to go buy some shorts and start wearing them from time to time. After going thru 3 brands of knees, I do belive Ive found a winner! They stay in place and are comfy all the way until i fold up in a squat. I am now convinced more than ever that the d30 padding is the bees knees! I tried some micromesh pads, but WAY stiff in compare to d30. Fwiw, Ive already done the drop test with knees on and they passed just fine.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Will pants fit over the knee pads?

Bruce

Edited by PennBruce

I was just about to say no, as my pants aren't way loose. Then I figured... why not try them under what I have on? Amazingly, they fit! Even tho its tough to get my pants up high enough as they arent very baggy, the knee pads do fit! I'm quite shocked, as I bought them to use with shorts, or with my mesh pants that are a tad loose (was unjustly worried built in pads wouldnt stay put) Now I'm REALLY happy with them. First pair Ive owned this  comfy AND stays in place. Zipping them up to put them on isnt so great as I've hairy legs and the pads fit perfectly snug (6'2" but wearing small for my knobbiness). But, the zipper is AWESOME when taking them off. I could see it being a great benefit after a massive crash. I am definitely a d30 fan. Here's some pics of my sexiness...

DSCN7921.JPG

DSCN7920.JPG

Edited by ShanesPlanet

13 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

ANY stays in place. 

Thanks, my knee pads don't stay as high on my knees as I would like.

Bruce

I tried some other VERY expensive and cheap 'solutions' that were a fail. I was about to give up, but decided to roll the $100 dice ONE LAST TIME. I really am impressed with these. So much so, that I may actually wear them (that says a lot in itself). I don't know how many hi speed hits to asphalt they can muster, but I'm guessing $100 worth at least. A LOT of the knees (higher end too), don't seem to offer ANY side or upper protection. I tried the demon skates and they were bulky, hard shell, never fit under anything, and liked to not stay in place. These scott feel more like a knee brace in how they stay and support. I did get bunching when I fully squat, but some people cant even bend that far. If you're squatting until heels touch your ass, you aint riding.. These are hard to find (as all decent gear is), I had to order from overseas and wait a month. The d30 knees come out so you can wash... OR use them in something else, once the fabric inevitably fails.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

10 minutes ago, PennBruce said:

I just ordered a pair.

Bruce

I really think youll LOVE them, if they fit. Its always a gamble, so keep the receipts. Please tell me how it goes, as I typically don't feel comfortable with recommending things. Makes me feel like an ass, should your results vary. If they fit, i think youll like them.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

On 6/3/2020 at 8:48 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Please tell me how it goes, as I typically don't feel comfortable with recommending things.

My Scott knee guards arrived today.  I wore them all afternoon while I was assembling a tow dolly.  Very comfortable, fit is great and they provide much better knee coverage then my Shadow Invisa-Lite knee pads.

I find it easier to put them on zipped up.  

Bruce

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PennBruce said:

My Scott knee guards arrived today.  I wore them all afternoon while I was assembling a tow dolly.  Very comfortable, fit is great and they provide much better knee coverage then my Shadow Invisa-Lite knee pads.

I find it easier to put them on zipped up.  

Bruce

glad you like. Yeah, I prefer to pull them on and zip them off too. Still, its nice to be able to get OUT of them easily at least.

21 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Still, its nice to be able to get OUT of them easily at least.

Oh yes, my shin guards once they get moist from perspiration are a pain to get out off.  I will have to check and see if Scott has zippered shin guards.  On the other hand, I rarely wear shin guards anymore.

Did you see the Clic-Light Cycle topic.  It's just what I need to complete my geek look on the wheel.  

Bruce

Has anyone tried the Demon Hip Belt X D3O?

The spill I took while riding seated left me with among other injuries road rash on my hip.  @svenomousgot me rethinking my safety gear.  This looks like a solution for hip protection but it would be good to have input from riders that have experience with the product.   There are three positive reviews on Amazon.

Bruce

8 hours ago, PennBruce said:

Has anyone tried the Demon Hip Belt X D3O?

The spill I took while riding seated left me with among other injuries road rash on my hip.  @svenomousgot me rethinking my safety gear.  This looks like a solution for hip protection but it would be good to have input from riders that have experience with the product.   There are three positive reviews on Amazon.

Bruce

Im surprised you arent investing in pants with hip and ass pads? I know theres a certain point when having to put on so many pieces is a total pain. When I feel like armoring up like a soldier, I just refer to pants and jackets with this stuff. Being in the north, surely heat isnt a big factor?

3 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im surprised you arent investing in pants with hip and ass pads? I know theres a certain point when having to put on so many pieces is a total pain. When I feel like armoring up like a soldier, I just refer to pants and jackets with this stuff. Being in the north, surely heat isnt a big factor?

I'm weird.  I like to wear my armor under regular pants. 

I try to always wear my gear.  However, it's hard to resist just hopping on the wheel with no gear.

Bruce

Mc hammer pants it is then! Probably look like the michelin man when you get knees/hips and ass pads UNDER common street pants. In less than the time it takes me to put on my knee pads, I can pull my riding pants on up over my shoes even.. I typically don't bother, as blue jeans and t-shirt is STILL more than I survived wearing as a kid. :)

Edited by ShanesPlanet

10 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Probably look like the michelin man when you get knees/hips and ass pads UNDER common street pants.

I'm in negative butt territory.  If you look at my progress 360 video you will see what I mean.  

Bruce