From a Segway-Ninebot One S2 to Kingsong 16X

George Iliev

2 hours ago, Yunicycle said:

Sorry, when you said you had concerns about lugging around the new 16x, I had to do a double take on your profile pic and thought to myself, "are you kidding me?". :facepalm:

Nice fun read otherwise.

Hahaha, I just never had a wheel neither that size, nor that weight, and I was worried it would be kind of cumbersome, which in turn would render me using the wheel less, which is not the outcome I desired, while thinking for an upgrade... I'm also trying to be thorough for anyone reading this, in case he's (or she's) coming from a small-factor wheel like the s2 :). But either way - even though the wheel is indeed bulky and defenitely has its own weight, it's not such a PITA and certainly looks like something I'm OK living with on day-to-day basis. 

Edited by George Iliev
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, George Iliev said:

Riding bottom line is it feels pretty new to me as an experience. I remember feeling the same way on my first 20-40 km's on the One S2. It's like I'm relearning to ride from almost the beginning. 

I've seen it said before that getting on a 16X is like learning to ride all over again.  Maybe it was @Mike Sacristan who said it?  Sounds like the man knows what he's talking about!  lol

Thanks for the entertaining read; I like your writing style.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, George Iliev said:

And on the point: Does anyone know how long does it take to charge from 45-50% to full for a KS 16x? It's been plugged for almost 12 hrs now, and still the charger light is red...

Battery has 21AH.
12h x 1.5A charge current = 18Ah (simply put)
It's supposed to be full.
What does the battery voltage say when you turn the wheel on but disconnect the charger?

I guess it fights its way through the balancing process at a snail's pace and depending on the cell voltage difference it can take forever. :efee612b4b:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Play around with the soft pedal mode as well it is very comfy and feels more like it reads your mind vs doing more aggressive leaning on the hard mode.

@Mike Sacristan Thanks for the reply mate! I have a couple of questions, first of those being for the PSI:
/2.5.. .really? It really feels WAY too bouncy. I will try out 35 psi, because on paved road it's literally unrideable bouncing left and right like crazy ... My question here is more in the terms of what am I risking here with going low on the PSI? Slippage on turns or... ? 

Second: Please elaborate on the Soft pedal mode, and hard pedal mode, and that whole shebang as I literally understood nothing from the manual. It's like an old pirate's map, that is hell bent on keeping its secrets. Please, allow me to quote it, it's one hell of an explanation:

" ...

7. Riding Mode: 
Riding mode refers to be the ration mode during start-off and breaking. Experient mode / Riding Mode / Learner Mode. At the beginning, ride at learner mode to feel the accelerate and decelerate, turning and so on. Riding mode and Experient mode is just for high requirement rider who want to try more flexible experience. 
Experient mode can satisfy the group who wants to perform skills like jumping, also it can avoid pedal tilt back when climbing up or down steep hills. 

..."

From what I understood, is that I need to ration my breaking and acceleration (and possibly my food also) if I want to be "experient" (Experiment? Experienced? Ex...crement, oops, nope, wait, that's the manual.). And I won't be able to climb steep hills without tiltback if I'm not performing skills like jumping. While crocodile. On Iceberg...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The squish is a spongy feeling to the pedals which allows them to tilt forward -1 to +1 degrees. This squishy tilt translates into assisted acceleration and braking.
So the squishy softer modes mean we don't need as much forward lean to get the wheel moving and this allows us to maintain more of our body mass over the wheel instead of in front of it.

However as the pedals yield ever so slightly in the softer modes it can feel a tiny bit less predictable than the hardest/stiffest mode.

Fully agree, I'm riding all the time in soft mode since I have the newer control board and not the first batch board (maybe mine was not quite intact right from the start, ?). 

Edited by buell47
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, buell47 said:

Fully agree, I'm riding all the time in soft mode since I have the newer control board and not the first batch board. 

@buell47 What is the difference between control boards tho? I asked my dealer to swap mine (the wheel was first batch) for the latest and greatest but neither of us knew what the difference actually was? 

Edited by George Iliev

41 minutes ago, George Iliev said:

@buell47 What is the difference between control boards tho? I asked my dealer to swap mine (the wheel was first batch) for the latest and greatest but neither of us knew what the difference actually was? 

• Like 1

Guess what? It's me again. I was on another swift coronavirus supply run :D

Changes I made last night and was eager to test: I set the riding mode to soft/learning or whatever the first level was, and let some air out of the tire. I don't have a pressure gauge, so I've got no clue how much I actually let out, IMHO shouldn't be more than a 0.2-0.3 bars, two-three quick fuss-es, but BOY was my experience different. Wheel felt much more cushy, way more rideable, and I was immediately comfortable to run near my normal ninebot speeds of 20+ kph averaged. Turning is a bit different with it, and while low-speed carving is a delight with the high pedals, there's something strange happening when I try to adjust my stance, and it's like the wheel decides to go straight to the curb, doesn't matter left or right, and no matter how subtle corrections you try to keep it going straight, the wheel won't accept them. It just goes it's own way and that's it. You need to throw a lot of weight to counter the direction and then everything's back to normal. It was the same experience with the rock-hard tire, so it's not the pressure, and my best guess is, that the wheel just weighs a ton, and the problem here, again, is me just not having the proper muscle memory, to balance it intuitively where I want it. I remember such conundrums from literally my first day on a wheel. The feeling when you step on it for the very first time, and you keep pushing on the pedal that's going down, and just can't force yourself shift your weight stepping on the higher one, even though that's the proper thing to do. 

Never the less, I was on a really low personal note after my previous ride, because the wheel felt... well, like it's not gonna click with me, and that really saddened me. I truly wanted to love it at first sight, and that didn't happen. It didn't happen on the second one also. It kept showing me it's negative sides.

Today on the other hand everything seems to be starting to fall in place. I guess It's a bright road ahead of us, as the wheel put enough effort to lower my expectations on day one, and is now exceeding them daily.

One thing that made an impression on me was the speed limiters. @Seba I tried bumping the limiters from #EUCworld, and wheel beeped, and everything was good according to the app, but when I accelerated i started getting the beepz again at the previous levels. I had to step down, shut euc world off, open official kingsong sad app, and change the speed settings there. Once set, I closed KS app, reopened EUC World, and everything was working according to the new settings. Is there something I'm missing?

• Like 2

My first wheel was a V8. After 1600km riding experience (drove it already hard offroad) I switched to the 16X. Damn WTF, I can't ride the f...g wheel. After 300 km I finally managed almost as well, but only after 500 km I get really used to it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Iliev said:

Once set, I closed KS app, reopened EUC World, and everything was working according to the new settings. Is there something I'm missing?

Oh, there is a bug. 

Try confirming the limit with the ENTER key. 

Yes, extremely tilting forward and backwards from new,but the Bluetooth patch fixed that behavior. 

But the forward tilt was not complete gone. I had probably the same forward tilt like you. The next 1000km I had it in slow and tight turns. I thought it is normal.

Then after 1000km the forward tilt came up while riding just fast straight or little carving. Tilting sporadically forward and few seconds later back to level. 

@1200km I changed the control board and after that I had no problems anymore. Like a totally different (better) wheel. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, buell47 said:

Yes, extremely tilting forward and backwards from new,but the Bluetooth patch fixed that behavior. 

But the forward tilt was not complete gone. I had probably the same forward tilt like you. The next 1000km I had it in slow and tight turns. I thought it is normal.

Then after 1000km the forward tilt came up while riding just fast straight or little carving. Tilting sporadically forward and few seconds later back to level. 

@1200km I changed the control board and after that I had no problems anymore. Like a totally different (better) wheel. 

@buell47 the problem is I asked my dealer to change my board to the newest one before shipping me the wheel.... WTF KingSong?! 1 year and you still don't have a finished product?

new board.jpg