MSX 84V 1859Wh VS MSP 100V 1800Wh

2 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I forgot the details but the different kinds of resistance you need to overcome are:

rolling resistance

wind resistance 

gradient resistance 

rollwiderstand_diagramm_1_en.jpg

Rolling and gradient resistance are linear, meaning they increase with your speed at a linear rate. Wind or air resistance increases with the speed to the power of 2. It means that small increases in speed require disproportionally larger increases in energy. Example: The rather small difference between 33 and 30km/h requires 20% more battery capacity to travel the same range. 

Formula for calculating wind resistance is (simplified):

eqn_v2.gif

but wheels are more efficient on power at higher speeds

4 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

but wheels are more efficient on power at higher speeds

the motor, marginally.. but that doesn't negate everything else.. in space then yea xD

Edited by Rywokast

Just now, alcatraz said:

Temperature also plays a part. You get maybe half the range at subzero degrees C compared with 20C.

I can attest to that.... wish I lived somewhere much warmer :( range is pitiful in colder majority of the year lol

Just now, alcatraz said:

The solution is either to have a massive pack or install some kind of pack warmer. It's supposed to increase range a lot. Have a look.

I havent done any true tests.. but for my KS wheels I got euc bodyguards and said to not have any cutouts only for the rear and front light and I do believe my range is slightly better... it could be in my head but of course the batteries are always generating heat and a neoprene cover encompassing it acts like a blanket... even better you could shove a warmer underneath it in the winter

Just now, ricqvo said:

So what range can I await to get from the 84V 1859Wh MSX at avg 27mph and 25dgC ? Can I await more than 40 miles?

depends.. are you 250 lbs, 150 lbs, and where are you riding? SHOULD you be able to get that.. absolutely,, but there are several factors involved. I know for a fact in that temp I could get 60 miles easy.. I got around 70 on a nikola 2100 but that's in 5C weather lol

I think that installing a heater could be almost plug and play, in theory.

But I haven't tried it myself. I imagine it's a pad you tape on each pack and the pada are connected to a small circuit that enables the heating below a certain temperature. It's all powered directly from the battery.

• Like 1

Even in China these wheels are not really that common. The place where (I think) all the big players are, kingsong/gotway/inmotion, is in the south where the lowest temperature in a the year might be 15-20C. It could explain why they don't think of it. :D

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I think that installing a heater could be almost plug and play, in theory.

But I haven't tried it myself. I imagine it's a pad you tape on each pack and the pada are connected to a small circuit that enables the heating below a certain temperature. It's all powered directly from the battery.

it's too bad those usb ports only give 2V I believe it is.. if you could find a way to increase that (doubt it, you'd have to alter the board) then you could actually do something besides very slowly charging your phone lol.. of course anyone smart enough could add an additional board to tap the battery and they could replace that port with anything

Edited by Rywokast

2 minutes ago, alcatraz said:

I think a heater could come with a T-plug that goes between the battery and the control board. Stealing power..

I'm not so sure that would play nice with the board unless you could put on custom FW though.. I definitely wouldnt risk stealing power from the mainboard of anything self balancing xD like are you referring to just splitting it?

Edited by Rywokast

29 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

depends.. are you 250 lbs, 150 lbs, and where are you riding? SHOULD you be able to get that.. absolutely,, but there are several factors involved. I know for a fact in that temp I could get 60 miles easy.. I got around 70 on a nikola 2100 but that's in 5C weather lol

I am 175lbs, gonna ride on soft mode, mainly no offroad, just roads and it is like 50% flat and 50% slight hills here

2 hours ago, Rywokast said:

it's too bad those usb ports only give 2V I believe it is..

It should be 5V, which is the USB standard. Otherwise I don’t think any USB devices would work.

The available current could be 2A though.

5 hours ago, mrelwood said:

It should be 5V, which is the USB standard. Otherwise I don’t think any USB devices would work.

The available current could be 2A though.

ah that's what I must be thinking 5V 2A dont remember where I even saw that

7 hours ago, ricqvo said:

I am 175lbs, gonna ride on soft mode, mainly no offroad, just roads and it is like 50% flat and 50% slight hills here

shouldn't be a problem then

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/11/2020 at 10:29 PM, ricqvo said:

If Nikola is smaller wheel than MSX, that means that MSX should get better range, or am I wrong?

From what i have read / remember actual diameter is.

Tesla 16" stampes on tyre dimension

Corrected, from the excellent table at this forum

Nikola 16"

tire MF 16", PEV MF 17", meassures 17.25" outer dia tyre

MSX / MSP / MSS 18"

Tire MF 18, PEV MF 19,meassures 19.5" outer dia tyre

The Nikola though

In general a smaller tyre/wheel diameter should not give better range. It all depends on how the inverter is tuned (efficiency at the selected RPM) and given that the trend is bigger wheel=faster wheel in guessing the hub motors are fairly similar when it comes to optimal RPM and the only way to make it faster at that point is larger diameter (combined with more power and a bit higher RPM ) since that gives a higher speed.

Also if i remember school right a larger rolling diameter gives LESS rolling resistance, hence based on that alone (given the same rubber blend, deforming of the tyre A.S.O.) a larger wheel gives better range.

Checked up above (rolling resistance) and i remembered right :-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

Edited by Boogieman
Corrected diameter as per table to prevent confusion

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

Tesla 16" :-)

Msx 17"

Nikola 18"

MSP 19" / MSS 19"

MSX/MSP/MSS are all equipped with an 18x3” tire.

Nikola is 16x3”.

Tesla is 16x2.125”.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Boogieman said:

From what i have read / remember actual diameter is

Tesla 16" :-)

Msx 17"

Nikola 18"

MSP 19" / MSS 19"

In general a smaller tyre/wheel diameter should not give better range. It all depends on how the inverter is tuned (efficiency at the selected RPM) and given that the trend is bigger wheel=faster wheel in guessing the hub motors are fairly similar when it comes to optimal RPM and the only way to make it faster at that point is larger diameter (combined with more power and a bit higher RPM ) since that gives a higher speed.

Also if i remember school right a larger rolling diameter gives LESS rolling resistance, hence based on that alone (given the same rubber blend, deforming of the tyre A.S.O.) a larger wheel gives better range.

Checked up above (rolling resistance) and i remembered right :-)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance

euc sizes are based off motor rim size... the tires can vary wildly from one to another so its not really fair to say this model is exactly this size because for example the ks16x there are three different tires used, msx line three different tires used, ks18l two different tires used, ks16 two different tires used the list goes on.. an example is two of my 18XLs one has a tire which measures 2.3" in width, while the other measures 2.6" in width yet they both state 2.5" on the sidewall... for all intents and purposes its tesla 16x2.125, nikola 16x3, msx all 18x3 as were simply going by rim size there are a ton of different tires being used

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Right but Boogieman put MSX less than Nikola, but MSP/MSS more than Nikola, that's what mrelwood was getting at.

I never quoted mrelwood :p actually oI didn't even see his response until after I replied