MSX 84V 1859Wh VS MSP 100V 1800Wh

Just now, ricqvo said:

I commute 2x15km a day + some for fun riding every day... So it makes usually around 50km a day...

ah then scratch that.. range on the tesla is pretty shit unless you go with a sketch 21700 1480 wh mod from aliexpress

Just now, Rywokast said:

ah then scratch that.. range on the tesla is pretty shit unless you go with a sketch 21700 1480 wh mod from aliexpress

That was my no1 idea, to go with the modded 1480wh Tesla v2, but the smaller tire and not tested mod got me like aah scratch that, I will pay 400usd more for a MSuper for the safer and bigger wheel...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

That was my no1 idea, to go with the modded 1480wh Tesla v2, but the smaller tire and not tested mod got me like aah scratch that, I will pay 400usd more for a MSuper for the safer and bigger wheel...

that is smart... yes the tesla can go 55 kph.. but yes you need to be suicidal to do that on a regular basis lmao, and yea the tire is puny if you hit anything at top speed youre probably gonna faceplant lol.. you can see the speed charts, all there is for you to decide is if that extra speed is worth the extra money to you or not... you seem to like to ride hard so i would say its much safer to have all that headroom rather than riding the beeper, a gotway will likely just dump you instead of tilting you back if youre pushing the top speed constantly lol

The price for the 1480Wh Tesla is pretty nice, but the risk of faceplating at 50kmph is just eeeh, rather pay the 1/3 more to get 19" tire and  safer high speeds and I guess better range as well...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ricqvo said:

The price for the 1480Wh Tesla is pretty nice, but the risk of faceplating at 50kmph is just eeeh, rather pay the 1/3 more to get 19" tire and  safer high speeds and I guess better range as well...

what about the nikola? 100V nikola is in production and an extremely fast/safe wheel with many battery options.. the tire is a bit smaller than MSX but its still pretty huge.. 17x3 its very thick.. it also has an actually functional trolley handle unlike the MSX.. the ride is very similar but its a bit bigger overall actually.. nothing crazy though just slightly taller

Edited by Rywokast

1 minute ago, Rywokast said:

what about the nikola? 100V nikola is in production and an extremely fast/safe wheel with many battery options.. the tire is a bit smaller than MSX but its still pretty huge.. 17x3 its very thick.. it also has an actually functional trolley handle unlike the MSX.. the ride is very similar but its a bit bigger overall actually.. nothing crazy though just slightly taller

Nikola isnt a bad wheel indeed, but the range will be still lower if we compare the 84V 1859Wh MSuper..

if you ask me, i prefer the nikola over the MSX.. just because it has better pedals, a functional trolley, and i find the shell much more ergonomic... still not on the same level as the 18L but more comfortable than the MSX for sure

IMG_4876.jpg.e292c84479f72439307c4ee00e1fbee4.jpg

Just now, ricqvo said:

Nikola isnt a bad wheel indeed, but the range will be still lower if we compare the 84V 1859Wh MSuper..

you can get 1600 wh, 1800 wh, 2100 wh nikola lol

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ricqvo said:

you are aware that 1859 is a seller mod too right? just fyi

Just now, Rywokast said:

if you ask me, i prefer the nikola over the MSX.. just because it has better pedals, a functional trolley, and i find the shell much more ergonomic... still not on the same level as the 18L but more comfortable than the MSX for sure

IMG_4876.jpg.e292c84479f72439307c4ee00e1fbee4.jpg

But is is more pricy as well as the range is not that good... Otherwise I like the Nikola better for the roundish shell and trolley...

Just now, Rywokast said:

you are aware that 1859 is a seller mod too right? just fyi

That's right, but it is still a small mod compared to the 1480Wh completely different battery Tesla

Just now, ricqvo said:

But is is more pricy as well as the range is not that good... Otherwise I like the Nikola better for the roundish shell and trolley...

it is more pricey yea.. the production cost of its components is higher, and the assembly is more difficult

2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

it is more pricey yea.. the production cost of its components is higher, and the assembly is more difficult

were talking about more than 300usd difference, that is too much for me...

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

100v all day long. That difference in speed is mesmerizing...

yeah, but I am a range guy, so riding 40mph isnt a think at all for me, 84V with 33mph feels just alright

• Like 2

So we can now FULLY bask in the wonderful age of choices. Makes perfect sense to me. If you need range... 84v. If you need speed 100v. If you want BOTH.... you'll just have to wait! The euc disease is strong in me... too many wheels to want, not enough $$. A problem unlikely to ever be resolved..

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

100v all day long. That difference in speed is mesmerizing...

haha ive been so close to pulling the trigger on a 100V wheel for a long time, but i always just think, no.. dont do it, i really want to live lmao... i have a hard enough time even bothering to put on gloves ever... i can imagine myself doing 75 kph when a cat runs across the path or something and i literally explode on impact with the pavement lmao

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

So we can now FULLY bask in the wonderful age of choices. Makes perfect sense to me. If you need range... 84v. If you need speed 100v. If you want BOTH.... you'll just have to wait! The euc disease is strong in me... too many wheels to want, not enough $$. A problem unlikely to ever be resolved..

trust me it wont..

• Like 3

Ask yourself what is 10% battery? On some models it could be 3.6V and some 3.2V.

Narrower higher pressure tire increases range.

Riding speed influences range a lot.

21700 wheels that are now coming out are going to be the new kings of range

An 1800Wh battery contains 1800Wh of energy. Electric wheels are quite efficient. I'd say the range will be relatively equal if nothing is broken. Bearings, motor defects, etc...

Another point I forgot to make is the reduction in speed comparison.

We all like to keep speed as the pack depletes but if your goal is to maximize range, the wheel that decreses speed is more likely to have a deeper discharge and thus longer range.

The wheel that keeps speed high is likely going to show 0% battery with juice left in the tank.

The wind resistance formula dictates that a doubling in speed increases wind resistance 4-fold. So 50km/h gives you ~25% of the range @ 25km/h. (IF wind resistance were the only component which it isn't but even 3 fold it's 33% - 100% for a doubling in speed.)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, alcatraz said:

The wind resistance formula dictates that a doubling in speed increases wind resistance 4-fold. So 50km/h gives you ~25% of the range @ 25km/h. (IF wind resistance were the only component which it isn't but even 3 fold it's 33% - 100% for a doubling in speed.)

Could you explain more how to teoretically count the range?

13 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

If you are wondering what the 100v MSX 1860wh will get you at high speed, expect around 27 miles. 

That is a great test, thank you for that! I will guess, with 84V 1859Wh at 32mph I am gonna get like 10 miles more maybe?

I forgot the details but the different kinds of resistance you need to overcome are:

rolling resistance

wind resistance 

gradient resistance 

rollwiderstand_diagramm_1_en.jpg

Rolling and gradient resistance are linear, meaning they increase with your speed at a linear rate. Wind or air resistance increases with the speed to the power of 2. It means that small increases in speed require disproportionally larger increases in energy. Example: The rather small difference between 33 and 30km/h requires ~20% more battery capacity to travel the same distance. 

Formula for calculating wind resistance is (simplified):

eqn_v2.gif

Edited by alcatraz
  • Like 3