Jump to content
DannyK

How really is ks16x high speed stability?

Recommended Posts

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

my setup has always been tiltback max speed so 50 kph, alarm 1 at 0 (off), alarm 2 at 0, and alarm 3 at 49 (or 1 below tiltback)

Setting mine exactly like that gives me the "set failed" announcement then resets back to 3rd: 37km, TB: 38km (1&2 are 0)  ..  I probably have to put the initial miles on it first...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Setting mine exactly like that gives me the "set failed" announcement then resets back to 3rd: 37km, TB: 38km (1&2 are 0)  ..  I probably have to put the initial miles on it first...

weird.. ive never seen this set failed.. maybe were just using a different app... i thought 1.05 on was 10 km.. but perhaps it reverted to 50 km im not too sure... you could try at 50 km or try another app like euc world

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the current firmwares allow 40km/h to be set immediately (after agreeing to the disclaimers etc), but above 40km/h requires 200km of riding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

I think the current firmwares allow 40km/h to be set immediately (after agreeing to the disclaimers etc), but above 40km/h requires 200km of riding.

oh really.. hmmm, i dont have a 16X just going off what ive heard.. that would suck.. in that case maybe you want to put on FW 1.05 and then you can unlock it right now haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, buell47 said:

That was in the beginning, now just 10 km if I remember correctly. After 10km you can unlock to 50km/h also with firmware 1.0.7 

I can confirm newer ones unlock after 10km

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm good!  After hitting 22km I am now unlocked, at least for now, to 50km, thank goodness.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CampDylan said:

I'm good!  After hitting 22km I am now unlocked, at least for now, to 50km, thank goodness.  

 

what the hell.... it was never 20 on anything to my knowledge lol.. perhaps the servers were just down, that can cause errors.. i had a similar thing happen to me on my first 18XL where i got the app but the servers were down so i wasnt able to actually log in to unlock the wheel from factory.. so it was just a paperweight until the next day.. this was over a year ago though, not sure if theyve changed that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

As a featherweight rider mine was incredibly unstable above 38km/h before tuning it in unless I used very low PSI.

Tyre tends to be off-centre right out of the box because the factory likes the schrader valve flush to the wheel for some reason. This forces the tyre bead to bulge out unevenly.

Deflate the tyres fully twist the stem outwards to give the tyre bead more space and it's all fixed. Let your wheel spin out in the air to check. There should be almost zero side-to-side wobbling of the tyre. Now easily pushing the 50km/h tiltback at any PSI.

Softer tyres will help as well.

Edited by Tinkererboi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

As a featherweight rider mine was incredibly unstable above 38km

Same here, I'm 135 lbs and when I have the tire filled to at least 30psi I get a flop-over to the right and it wants to slowly turn right as well.  I found that if i put my right palm out like a sail off my hip it counteracts the bad effect and I go straighter, lol.    

 

27 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

fully twist the stem outwards

Yes, my stem is bent inwards.  Do you mean the stem should stick straight out like on a regular tire?  This won't hit something on the inside, eh?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

As a featherweight rider mine was incredibly unstable above 38km/h before tuning it in unless I used very low PSI.

Tyre tends to be off-centre right out of the box because the factory likes the schrader valve flush to the wheel for some reason. This forces the tyre bead to bulge out unevenly.

Deflate the tyres fully twist the stem outwards to give the tyre bead more space and it's all fixed. Let your wheel spin out in the air to check. There should be almost zero side-to-side wobbling of the tyre. Now easily pushing the 50km/h tiltback at any PSI.

Softer tyres will help as well.

oh this is a good tip, i have actually heard something like this before and tried deflating my tyre with msx fully when I first got it but didnt really know what to do other than deflating it, massaging it? and refilling the air. 

Maybe my English gets in the way here or I dont know some technical terms, how does fully twisting the stem outwards work? Could you tell me what is this 'stem'?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CampDylan said:

Yes, my stem is bent inwards.  Do you mean the stem should stick straight out like on a regular tire?  This won't hit something on the inside, eh?  

It's a fine balancing act between giving the bead of your tyre room to settle into its groove and not hitting the case I guess.

Never had and clearance issues personally even though I let the stem stick out pretty much 45°

24 minutes ago, DannyK said:

Maybe my English gets in the way here or I dont know some technical terms, how does fully twisting the stem outwards work? Could you tell me what is this 'stem'?

Stem = the little copper tube sticking out of the wheel that you use to fill your tyres with air.

When it's forced flush against the wheel it causes the rubber base where it connects to your inner tube to push against the aluminum rim displacing your actual tyre out of its proper position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Tinkererboi said:

It's a fine balancing act between giving the bead of your tyre room to settle into its groove and not hitting the case I guess.

Never had and clearance issues personally even though I let the stem stick out pretty much 45°

Stem = the little copper tube sticking out of the wheel that you use to fill your tyres with air.

When it's forced flush against the wheel it causes the rubber base where it connects to your inner tube to push against the aluminum rim displacing your actual tyre out of its proper position.

oh thats called the stem! I think I might have a rough idea of what it should look like but if it is possible to see a picture example itd be so much more helpful how I should twist it outwards :lol: Thanks alot! This was a great tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DannyK said:

oh thats called the stem! I think I might have a rough idea of what it should look like but if it is possible to see a picture example itd be so much more helpful how I should twist it outwards :lol: Thanks alot! This was a great tip!

   81LXwyDafYL._SX425_.jpg

As you can see in its natural state, the little copper tube is supposed to be tilted 90° to the wheel.

I do not really have any pictures but just deflate all the way and then it should be possible to twist it back to it's correct position or just go as far as you can before it begins to hit the case. That worked for me when i did it 6 months ago. 

Glad to help! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tinkererboi said:

   81LXwyDafYL._SX425_.jpg

As you can see in its natural state, the little copper tube is supposed to be tilted 90° to the wheel.

I do not really have any pictures but just deflate all the way and then it should be possible to twist it back to it's correct position or just go as far as you can before it begins to hit the case. That worked for me when i did it 6 months ago. 

Glad to help! :)

Ah okay thanks a lot for the help!:lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tinkererboi said:

   81LXwyDafYL._SX425_.jpg

As you can see in its natural state, the little copper tube is supposed to be tilted 90° to the wheel.

There are at least 3 types of bent valves: Bent 90° to the side, bent 45° side, and bent 0° to the side. 16" EUCs usually come with a stem that's bent 0° to the side, or at least close to that. I'm not sure if you can reliably determine which type it is until you start removing the tube.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 2 cents;

Coming from a V10, Initially the 16X felt unstable; had huge wobbles at speed and under heavy breaking. After about 200km, I can safely ride it at 47km/h (beeps, tiltback @ 49) without any wobble. Same on breaking, so I would say you just need to get used to the wheel and adjust your stance.

Side-note, mine also had a wonky tire on arrival. Dealer took care of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/19/2020 at 12:57 PM, Skecys said:

My 2 cents;

Coming from a V10, Initially the 16X felt unstable; had huge wobbles at speed and under heavy breaking. After about 200km, I can safely ride it at 47km/h (beeps, tiltback @ 49) without any wobble. Same on breaking, so I would say you just need to get used to the wheel and adjust your stance.

Side-note, mine also had a wonky tire on arrival. Dealer took care of it.

Stance and my stiffness (no relaxation), was the main thing for my wobbles. Today it comes and goes sometimes. Today I do know where it comes from. Its a bit small adjustments in stance, remember them, and your fine. Everyone (humans) aint build the same way so the difference is right there, IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...