Jump to content
DannyK

How really is ks16x high speed stability?

Recommended Posts

Hi, Ive been riding 84v msx but trying to switch to kingsong 16x since I wanted that design and functions it has and I dont need speed above 30mph. So well I ordered it and waiting for it now.

A question! I saw some reviews that kingsong 16x could go up to 30mph but rides unstable going above the speed of 25~26mph. Is that true? Or is that with just some people and can change with getting perfectly adapted to the wheel? I rarely went above 30mph but certainly got around 27~28mph quite often with my msx.. so it concerns me a bit with 16x if that speed cannot be pulled off with a fair amount of stability.

p.s. mine is a new batch that comes with CYT tyre and improved side pads. I heard the CX and CYT also performs differently depending on the circumstances so I hope to hear from those who have CYT tyres.

download.jpeg-22.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 16X is the only wheel I've had that can go > 20mph. That said, I had to adapt to it at high speeds; I blame the high center of gravity. It's nothing you can't control, you just have to learn the wheel. Also, it doesn't really go 31. What it thinks is 31 is actually measured by GPS at something like 28.5 or 29.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Dan Hillary said:

The 16X is the only wheel I've had that can go > 20mph. That said, I had to adapt to it at high speeds; I blame the high center of gravity. It's nothing you can't control, you just have to learn the wheel. Also, it doesn't really go 31. What it thinks is 31 is actually measured by GPS at something like 28.5 or 29.

Thank you for sharing your opinion Dan. 

Do you mean its the only wheel you've had that can go above 20mph? What other wheels have you ridden so far? And after you have fully adpated to the wheel do you feel its stable even at high speeds?

Edited by DannyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have my warning at 30mph and my tiltback at 31mph. I hit it rather frequently while riding without any stability issues. I think it comes down to the rider. I've tried a few peoples 16x's after they said that it felt unstable at high speed, and I didn't have any problems when I tried.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chayo yang tire on my 2th batch FW 1.05. pedal setings hard (prefer)  /medium (long rides) soft (i almost not use i no like brake performance)

I personaly use 3 alarm 40km/h and tiltback 43km/h i use 43 Psi and i not feel 38+ km/h mutch stable or confortable.

Maybee is just my high Psi what make unconfort sadly i need to have this ,all is about weight 115kg / 260lbs 

I no have any wobles or problems with KS16X just high PSI is not ideal for speed on routes we have here) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, DannyK said:

Thank you for sharing your opinion Dan. 

Do you mean its the only wheel you've had that can go above 20mph? What other wheels have you ridden so far? And after you have fully adpated to the wheel do you feel its stable even at high speeds?

Yeah, I've also ridden the 18XL before, but only a mile or two. All my pre-16X experience was on small starter wheels. I'd say that "after you have fully adpated to the wheel" is a good way of putting it. I don't have speed wobbles under normal conditions now. However, sometimes after a long ride or in cold weather (enough so my legs are shivering) all that muscle control fades and I just have to slow down. I couldn't say if the same happens on other wheels.

In my first couple hundred miles? Sometimes you're cruising along, a small headwind shifts into a crossbreeze at 28mph and the wheel would start to initiate the wobble just leaving me thinking "...what? Where is this coming from?" Nowadays as soon as I feel it starting I start some light side-to-side carving or adjust my footing and that takes care of it. Basically, experience takes care of things. Until then, slow down if it starts up.

EDIT: One other note: sitting on the wheel makes it rock solid no matter the speed! Wobbles are all because of the rider's legs. Taking them out of the equation is one solution.

Edited by Dan Hillary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ABS Knut said:

I have my warning at 30mph and my tiltback at 31mph. I hit it rather frequently while riding without any stability issues. I think it comes down to the rider. I've tried a few peoples 16x's after they said that it felt unstable at high speed, and I didn't have any problems when I tried.

Thats good to hear! Btws I heard kingsong limited the 16x max speed to be even lower after the 1.07 firmware upgrade that itd start alarming and tilting you back even at speeds around 22~25mph so you have to ignore and push it to go faster? If thats true itd reaalllly suuck... and I would definitely regret buying it.. I expect to ride a bit faster than that without crazy alarms or tiltbacks :( If they updated it like that theyd almost be a fraud selling their wheel saying its top speed is like 31mph

Edited by DannyK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, DjPanJan said:

Chayo yang tire on my 2th batch FW 1.05. pedal setings hard (prefer)  /medium (long rides) soft (i almost not use i no like brake performance)

I personaly use 3 alarm 40km/h and tiltback 43km/h i use 43 Psi and i not feel 38+ km/h mutch stable or confortable.

Maybee is just my high Psi what make unconfort sadly i need to have this ,all is about weight 115kg / 260lbs 

I no have any wobles or problems with KS16X just high PSI is not ideal for speed on routes we have here) 

Thank you! these will be a good reference for me! Im like 51kg lightweighted, so will try with lower psi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, DannyK said:

I heard kingsong limited the 16x max speed to be even lower after the 1.07 firmware upgrade that itd start alarming and tilting you back even at speeds around 22~25mph so you have to ignore and push it to go faster?

In my understanding it only happens if you accelerate very fast. One should accelerate easier after 20mph anyway, the 1.07 fw just reminds you about that fact in case you forgot. But the max speed should still be the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

 

In my understanding it only happens if you accelerate very fast. One should accelerate easier after 20mph anyway, the 1.07 fw just reminds you about that fact in case you forgot. But the max speed should still be the same.

 

ah okay, that reminder system would probably scare the hell out of me and prevent me from speeding more since i have beep traumas.. especially with tilt back Id probably never try to go beyond.. thats gonna be quite a stressful experience compared to my msx. hmm.. I thought when I purchased this wheel I could reach 30mph without much problem but seems like I wont be able to :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has 2 different alarms, the "please decelerate" and the "caution overpower" alarm. I hit the please decelerate somewhere around 29mph (I use euc world for tracking: https://euc.world/tour/584130522672009) and I hit the overpower alarm if I'm really leaning into a hill or if I'm at a lower battery and leaning in. I was under the impression that it was the 1.06 firmware that slowed everything down and they reverted the slowdown to somewhat normal in 1.07.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ABS Knut said:

It has 2 different alarms, the "please decelerate" and the "caution overpower" alarm. I hit the please decelerate somewhere around 29mph (I use euc world for tracking: https://euc.world/tour/584130522672009) and I hit the overpower alarm if I'm really leaning into a hill or if I'm at a lower battery and leaning in. I was under the impression that it was the 1.06 firmware that slowed everything down and they reverted the slowdown to somewhat normal in 1.07.

ok with that pls decelerate alarm does the wheel snatch you back from accelerating more? I believe it shouldnt be cutting out before an overpower alarm kicks in.. and its suppose to reach at least 30mph max shouldnt it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, DannyK said:

ok with that pls decelerate alarm does the wheel snatch you back from accelerating more? I believe it shouldnt be cutting out before an overpower alarm kicks in.. and its suppose to reach at least 30mph max shouldnt it?

Audio only 3th alarm you can ignore.

4th alarm is tiltback move you pedals up.

bonus information. ks16x deflate speed 7-9% i not remeber exactly. kingsong 50km/h is 45/46 real speed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I say keep doing the speeds you were doing and Don't Go near 30, you'll be fine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 6:56 AM, DannyK said:

Hi, Ive been riding 84v msx but trying to switch to kingsong 16x since I wanted that design and functions it has and I dont need speed above 30mph. So well I ordered it and waiting for it now.

A question! I saw some reviews that kingsong 16x could go up to 30mph but rides unstable going above the speed of 25~26mph. Is that true? Or is that with just some people and can change with getting perfectly adapted to the wheel? I rarely went above 30mph but certainly got around 27~28mph quite often with my msx.. so it concerns me a bit with 16x if that speed cannot be pulled off with a fair amount of stability.

p.s. mine is a new batch that comes with CYT tyre and improved side pads. I heard the CX and CYT also performs differently depending on the circumstances so I hope to hear from those who have CYT tyres.

download.jpeg-22.jpg

unstable? what is unstable about it. it has a massively thick tire... i dont fine 16x2.125 to be unstable at 50 kph, however it can get unstable easily if you hit anything.. the 16x3 tire is a little TOO stable if you ask me lol, it resists turning a bit if youre lightweight and you have to adjust your ride style accordingly.. they have also had three different tires on the 16X lol so different people have different preferences and give different opinions... but no, absolutely not inherently unstable in any way.. that usually comes with the rider and their experience level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rywokast said:

unstable? what is unstable about it. it has a massively thick tire... i dont fine 16x2.125 to be unstable at 50 kph, however it can get unstable easily if you hit anything.. the 16x3 tire is a little TOO stable if you ask me lol, it resists turning a bit if youre lightweight and you have to adjust your ride style accordingly.. they have also had three different tires on the 16X lol so different people have different preferences and give different opinions... but no, absolutely not inherently unstable in any way.. that usually comes with the rider and their experience level

ah ok its just that my friend said he felt more unstable with 16x at high speeds compared to his msx so I was curious if thats what others feel as well.. which tyre are you using currently? I heard the 1st batch cx has that high speed stability and cyt less so but with quite higher maneuverability.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DannyK said:

ah ok its just that my friend said he felt more unstable with 16x at high speeds compared to his msx so I was curious if thats what others feel as well.. which tyre are you using currently? I heard the 1st batch cx has that high speed stability and cyt less so but with quite higher maneuverability.

well yea.. 16x3 vs 19x3 :P its never going to be AS stable, but it is still extremely stable... i dont have a 16X comparing to the nikola with the CST-1488.. yes you are correct cx some people hated it some people loved it, reportedly had a noticeable gyro effect which in essence means stability.. it wants to keep you upright.. i personally hate that i like wheels that are slippery with very good maneuverability, my favourite being the h-5102 which many feel is too slippery.. but thats what i like

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2020 at 10:13 PM, DannyK said:

Thats good to hear! Btws I heard kingsong limited the 16x max speed to be even lower after the 1.07 firmware upgrade that itd start alarming and tilting you back even at speeds around 22~25mph so you have to ignore and push it to go faster? If thats true itd reaalllly suuck... and I would definitely regret buying it.. I expect to ride a bit faster than that without crazy alarms or tiltbacks :( If they updated it like that theyd almost be a fraud selling their wheel saying its top speed is like 31mph

Hey Danny here is my view. I have been riding the 16x since 2nd batch was released. I ride it to work 10miles on busy streets while I'm 28-29mph for 10mins straight. I have never had any issues. I have pushed up to 30ish and try not to get 31 claimed mph.  I will say tire pressure plays a bigger factor on the "feel/reaction" of the wheel. I weigh 210lbs and ride around 35-38 psi very comfortable. Any higher than that for me and the wheels gets squirrely. I do local rides where I can be going 18-19mph or 25-30. I would suggest just getting familiar with the 16X  and you should be fine at 28mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy y'all ... I'm here because I just installed a newer control/mother board and now having to deal with SPEED SETTINGS anew again after 4,000 miles on the old board.  This one reads like brand new and is only allowing my 3rd level alarm 22km, TiltBack 38km.   Mileage on the new board reads .16 miles.  Do i have to put a certain amount of miles before unlocking more?  Or what's the "magic combination" to allow highest speed possible?  I finally had my old one all figured out nicely but unfortunately never wrote down the parameters of my Speed Settings or took a screen shot.

 

Thanks, Happy Easter!

New Board 2.jpg

New Board.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sertified said:

Hey Danny here is my view. I have been riding the 16x since 2nd batch was released. I ride it to work 10miles on busy streets while I'm 28-29mph for 10mins straight. I have never had any issues. I have pushed up to 30ish and try not to get 31 claimed mph.  I will say tire pressure plays a bigger factor on the "feel/reaction" of the wheel. I weigh 210lbs and ride around 35-38 psi very comfortable. Any higher than that for me and the wheels gets squirrely. I do local rides where I can be going 18-19mph or 25-30. I would suggest just getting familiar with the 16X  and you should be fine at 28mph.

ah ha thanks alot for your information thats quite pleasing to hear haha. I just need to play around with the psi and get used to the wheel is the conclusion I pulled out from all the feedbacks I got!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Howdy y'all ... I'm here because I just installed a newer control/mother board and now having to deal with SPEED SETTINGS anew again after 4,000 miles on the old board.  This one reads like brand new and is only allowing my 3rd level alarm 22km, TiltBack 38km.   Mileage on the new board reads .16 miles.  Do i have to put a certain amount of miles before unlocking more?  Or what's the "magic combination" to allow highest speed possible?  I finally had my old one all figured out nicely but unfortunately never wrote down the parameters of my Speed Settings or took a screen shot.

 

Thanks, Happy Easter!

New Board 2.jpg

New Board.jpg

I heard you can unlock the speed limits immediately with the app. You need to get through some kind of decoding process through an app thats not too complicated. I dont know the details just yet since Im yet to receive my wheel!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DannyK said:

some kind of decoding process

Yes, the app had me jump through a couple hoops of confirmation making me agree that i understand the risks involved but still having a guessing game problem getting past 38km

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Yes, the app had me jump through a couple hoops of confirmation making me agree that i understand the risks involved but still having a guessing game problem getting past 38km

 

im not sure what you mean by guessing game trying to get past 38 km.. traditionally KS wheels made you drive 200 km to unlock the full speed.. however this has varied quite a bit lately depending on boards/wheels and firmware version... there is nothing to figure out, you just need to ride X number of km before you can unlock the speed.. what firmware version is that board on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

what firmware version is that board on?

1.07.  By 'guessing-game' I mean that as I input speed settings the app will deny my parameters by saying "X - Set Failed".  .. then it resets the tiltback to 38km.  I remember about 3 thousand miles ago that it took a number of combinations with the 3rd level alarm and the tiltback before it would finally accept something over 50km

Yes, perhaps i have to put another 200km before I can set the TB past 38km

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

1.07.  By 'guessing-game' I mean that as I input speed settings the app will deny my parameters by saying "X - Set Failed".  .. then it resets the tiltback to 38km.  I remember about 3 thousand miles ago that it took a number of combinations with the 3rd level alarm and the tiltback before it would finally accept something over 50km

Yes, perhaps i have to put another 200km before I can set the TB past 38km

 

 

hmmm.. in that case i think its only 10 km lmao.. oh i didnt know it gave you an error message... its not the fact that you dont have enough km on the wheel then, that doesnt give you any message at all it just wont apply lol... its pretty simply.. there are 4 settings, first alarm, second alarm, third alarm, and tiltback in that order.. its pretty intuitive that they would be set then in that order.. you must have at least one alarm, but it can be the same speed as the tiltback, tiltback must be set higher than any alarms, alarm 3 must be set higher than alarm 1 and 2, alarm 2 must be set higher than alarm 1 but lower than alarm 3, and alarm 1 must be set lower than alarm 2 and 3.. my setup has always been tiltback max speed so 50 kph, alarm 1 at 0 (off), alarm 2 at 0, and alarm 3 at 49 (or 1 below tiltback)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...