Cut out on Gotway MSP

1 hour ago, Steve Jo said:

Okay, not sure if U guys have this experience but hope not. I was one of who received first batch of Gotway MSP in early March 2020. I experienced motor cut out when battery was 28% and I was cruising just 31kph...

Let me emphasise that I had original MSX and I ride fast too (68 kph my max)so I am not new about wheels especially Gotway

When it cut out, the engine completely shut off...I needed to turn it on myself 

To cut story short, I informed my supplier EUC service and I believed Daniel already contacted Gotway ..but still not heard til now 

Hope, U guys don't get same experience as me..

Green and Fashion Travel asked me to write this here to inform what I have experienced to my new wheel ...

Anyway, I hope Gotway reads this and hope they could do test more especially with LG 21700 

Thank you 

Sad, but not shocking to hear, I hope you are all right. GW lack an 80% load warning that would warn you if you were riding faster or accelerating more than the current voltage can deliver. So please tell your supplier that if GW implement this on their new wheels, and perhaps even a functioning trolley handle, they’ll get even more customers.

• Like 2

So, you were riding at that speed with zero acceleration. Just riding and smooth pavement and it stopped? Any additional information that you can provide may be enlightening.

Obviously many people own and are riding the MSP. I don't think your unfortunate incident can be translated to mean MSP's are dangerous and tend to cutout. If that were true we would be hearing many more stories.

I can assure you that Gotway does not visit this Forum and will never hear about your story :(

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Obviously many people own and are riding the MSP. I don't think your unfortunate incident can be translated to mean MSP's are dangerous and tend to cutout. If that were true we would be hearing many more stories.

Are you sure about that? I see Speedyfeet still haven't gotten them.

4 minutes ago, hwoccurrence said:

Are you sure about that? I see Speedyfeet still haven't gotten them.

I know of at least 30 people who have them in the States, and they ride them fast.

• Like 2

I have had my deposit on one since 3/13 and it looks like the 1st batch sold out, hope I made the 1st batch, it'll be hard waiting til Mid May for 2nd batch arrival.  Sorry to hear about your incident, glad you're okay.

Edited by RetroThruster
  • Like 2

It was just cruising speed and it was like 3rd time doing 70km distance with MSP and died in me on last ride. So I didn't go fast whatsoever. Condition of road was also flat

No beep, no warning and the engine was just off 

Oh trust me ,I pushed MSP and rode with the beep...hit 58 kph max so far and it was nothing 

I have ridden MSP over 500km now

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Jo said:

It was just cruising speed and it was like 3rd time doing 70km distance with MSP and died in me on last ride. So I didn't go fast whatsoever. Condition of road was also flat

Oh trust me ,I pushed MSP and rode with the beep...hit 58 kph max so far and it was nothing 

You weren't logging, by chance? Surprising that it happened on flat road while cruising at a relatively low speed. Doesn't sound like an overlean. Hopefully no one else has experienced this and it's just a defective unit.

11 minutes ago, Dan Hillary said:

You weren't logging, by chance? Surprising that it happened on flat road while cruising at a relatively low speed. Doesn't sound like an overlean. Hopefully no one else has experienced this and it's just a defective unit.

No ,I wasn't logging....just used Strava instead ...😔

Definitely not overlean at all, I'm only 69 kg ...and beside I knew how wheel cut out because of max speed reached ...power is still on ,not dead but that time my power was completely off....and I still rode to the car (around another 10km) and it was fine but I was prepared to fall all the times and nothing happened

1 hour ago, hwoccurrence said:

Feels bad. Cutouts can in worst case be fatal, no matter how well geared you are.

As long you are well gear protected, you are fine or much better definitely..if unlucky that you have obstacles in front of you and the motor just shuts off on you and hit them  ...that's the worst nightmare ever 

8 hours ago, RetroThruster said:

I have had my deposit on one since 3/13 and it looks like the 1st batch sold out, hope I made the 1st batch, it'll be hard waiting til Mid May for 2nd batch arrival.  Sorry to hear about your incident, glad you're okay.

Mine's arriving very soon. I'll sell it to you for $3500 :ph34r:

Supply and demand, don't you know ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Steve Jo said:

so weird, it's the production model or some demo wheel ?

mine will come next week...let's see

Edited by EMA

3 hours ago, EMA said:

so weird, it's the production model or some demo wheel ?

mine will come next week...let's see

I paid for it,so not demonstration model ..maybe I just got lemon.... because I had already issue, half of left LED strip did not work when I had it ...

50 minutes ago, Steve Jo said:

I paid for it,so not demonstration model ..maybe I just got lemon.... because I had already issue, half of left LED strip did not work when I had it ...

and the cycle continues.. i wonder if this first batches boards are going to be replaced soon like the 100V MSXs with the oscillation

Wow this is surprising; I mean 28 percent is relatively low battery, but you you shouldn't get a cut out going at cruising speed of 30km/h. glad to read you were geared up though. Any more details about battery percentage? Do you have it set to average percentage on your app? Are you pretty regular with your charging habits?

5 hours ago, Justin Boivin said:

Wow this is surprising; I mean 28 percent is relatively low battery, but you you shouldn't get a cut out going at cruising speed of 30km/h. glad to read you were geared up though. Any more details about battery percentage? Do you have it set to average percentage on your app? Are you pretty regular with your charging habits?

It was my 3rd time I went for that track and usually left me behind with 19%-24% remaining...only that day, the motor just died completely...I defaulted to OEM ..not average ...trust me I didn't go fast at all, pure cruising ..

Charging habits? Well the wheel was quite new though, just recharge the night before I ride usually.

I got MSX 100v for 2 yrs...nothing change of habit for charging battery ...so definitely I got lemon MSP ...

20 hours ago, Steve Jo said:

It was my 3rd time I went for that track and usually left me behind with 19%-24% remaining...only that day, the motor just died completely...I defaulted to OEM ..not average ...trust me I didn't go fast at all, pure cruising ..

Charging habits? Well the wheel was quite new though, just recharge the night before I ride usually.

I got MSX 100v for 2 yrs...nothing change of habit for charging battery ...so definitely I got lemon MSP ...

Yeah that sounds like something's defective. Hopefully Gotway replaces it.

22 minutes ago, Justin Boivin said:

Yeah that sounds like something's defective. Hopefully Gotway replaces it.

Thanks ,the issue is not simple ...I didn't have any log whatsoever.

For any electronic faulty,it is hard to be proven without any proof and if no others have similar experience..

I guess ,that would be the risk for buying first batch 😔

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 8:18 PM, Steve Jo said:

As long you are well gear protected, you are fine or much better definitely..if unlucky that you have obstacles in front of you and the motor just shuts off on you and hit them  ...that's the worst nightmare ever 

Don't forget the wonderful possibility of a cutoff putting you into NO obstacles, just clean mountain air.... until you hit the bottom of the mountain anyhow...:w00t2:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Any more reports of this happening again or to anyone else?  Were you able to find an underlying cause or just a one time occurrence with no definitive source to what happened?