GotWay Tesla V2 water damage

I have been riding the my new GotWay Tesla 2 for three weeks now!

I decided to go for a night ride and didn’t see a bump on the road which got me to wiggle around until I lost balance! I was at around 20km/h I tried to slow down so i can fall at a lower speed and sustain less damage to the unit and myself.

I fall to my side and slid off the side ride into a ditch which had a puddle of water the depth of the GotWay Tesla! It fell inside and got fully submerged! I reached for it and got it out a couple seconds later! All the lights were on and I tried to switch it off but it would not switch off! But the motor was not on either! Just the lights! I moved it around a bit and the motor was on like nothing happened! I rode back home for 15 km and now that I’m home I can’t seem to switch it off! The lights stay on even though the motor is off and if I rotate it along its axis (as if I’m calibrating it) it turns back on!

There is also a strange faint beep sounds.. super faint though “teeeet”. 

HELP!

• Like 1

it is NOW out of warranty and if you are capable... open it up and disconnect the battery soon!!! Dont allow it to discharge them until dead, the batteries dont like it and can become a danger. Sorry i cant help much, but you're gna have to open it to get the water out, let it dry and inspect.  First tho, make sure you stop ALL battery drain, no mattter how slight. Both for your safety, fire safety and the safety of the battery itself. Clock is tickin'. *Be VERY careful with the battery, it can KILL you, it holds a ton of power that can discharge quickly. Try to insulate yourself if possible, until you get it unhooked/disconnected. If you see fuses... pull 'em. I dont own a tesla, but this advice should ring true with most. Barring NONE of this, at least put it somewhere near nothing flammable, and let it dry for a long while.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate your reply, I was actually planning to get it drained before I could do anything.. it did make a few sounds cracking sounds with the motor with bursts to the wheel!

Now the situation seems critical and time is of the essence! I didn’t imagine the battery could be this lethal! I don’t have any insulation my self and I am not even sure how to go about opening this machine up! I will see if I can get a friend to help. 

Just disconnect the battery plugs and wait until everything is guaranteed dry. Unless the water causes a short in the battery (leading to a potential fire), nothing really bad can happen.

This sounds to me like the power button got damaged?

If the wheel shows any erratic behavior that can't be explained by a defect power button, I'd get a new board.

don't be too worried(you routinely unplug stuff from your house walls and survive). Just put down the metal tools when you start touching connectors and such. Like meep said, a dead short is your big worry, and that's one of those things that doesnt KIND OF happen. It either did and youd smell it, or it didnt. A short to open would have disabled something. My only concern is that if you cant turn it off and it draws the batteries below a safe level, you will damage the batteries and they carry an increased risk as they deplete fully. If the wheel isnt using any power and you have it shut off, just wait and let it dry(in a safe area). Any immediate danger would have long since culminated, so NOW the biggest concern is those uber expensive batteries and how they behave if voltage in them drops too low. Compare the cost of a board to the cost of your battery pack.... thats the REAL scary thing. If you havent yet.. chase the rabbit hole for a little bit about this new battery tech. It is freaking amazing, but there are associated risks as well. I think they're made of fairy turds wrapped in paper, dipped in lightning and then packaged in plastic. *note to self: my euc doesnt make a great swimming buddy. 1mj (stick of dynamite)= 277w*h..very rough conversion but you get the idea.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hello T-unicycle, how is your Tesla now ??

I have a similar issue, but with a MCM5, ending in a lake :w00t2:, it was floating just enough time for me to grab it, 30 seconds or so.
About 2-3 liters of water went out of the side vents -so no, they are not fake-.

I walk back home, with a constant "beeeep", sometime with the motor pulling normally, or without beeps, but I could not switch off (or it switch back on by itself the next minute)

I dismantle the wheel within an hour, only the motherboard side was wet, the other side dry, as the battery, that I unplug.

Next day it switch on and off normally, but the "beeps" is very quiet, and none of the LED switch on.

Is the speaker know to be allergic to water and must be replaced ?

The LED seems controlled by the mainboard, should I be worry, or some water can still be under the white silicone (or in the headlight) ?

This is the MCM5 v2 with the raised pedals (67V, with HB C35 motor).

Edited by Camenbert
  • Like 1

OK after a little more investigation and some WD40 here and there, I can say the mainboard and the main switch works, but not the 5V sub-system.

I can connect with the app, from there switching on the headlight does NOT work neither, and the USB port is dead too.
So no more 5V I guess, this might explain the more quite speaker too. I have no multimeter with me until August.

I can live without these, but what about this little fan ?
It does not spin at the switch on or off, but I think it does briefly when you switch off, right ?

Will the phase wire still function as expected or is this the next proven failure ?
What you guys advise ? Can I repair the 5V module, or the mainboard have to go (and will it be time to mod to 84V - or 100V- ?)

Thanks

After few kilometer I can say the wheel works again.
I could hear the fan switching on when required so I guess it's safe to ride.

So I'm without LED, USB charger and a with a very very quiet speaker (might be the speaker itself), not too bad...
If anyone know how to fix these without to replace the motherboard.... :efeeec645d:

• 2 months later...

Indeed, after few weeks I had some grinding noise from the motor, battery still OK.
I suspected some rust on the stator. After opening the motor, it's very limited, very very little water might have penetrate the motor

But checking the bearing show them KO, one of them with enough play to scratch the motor black paint (near the center, so not normally visible).
After 125 km and just a little water !

The bearings are "6203 RS" meaning they should be a minimum water resistant... Poor quality, they are not.
To be fair, as the wheel fall in the water, the brutal cooling from¨~70° to 15° suck the surrounding elements, in this case water.

A pair of SKF 6203-2RSH might increase the reliability.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2020 at 1:44 AM, T-unicycle said:

Thank you so so much! I really appreciate your reply, I was actually planning to get it drained before I could do anything.. it did make a few sounds cracking sounds with the motor with bursts to the wheel!

Now the situation seems critical and time is of the essence! I didn’t imagine the battery could be this lethal! I don’t have any insulation my self and I am not even sure how to go about opening this machine up! I will see if I can get a friend to help. 

What happened with this Tesla?  We had a Tesla that blew possibly due to water ingress.  

10 hours ago, Camenbert said:

What do you mean by "blew" ?

A wheel that have water damage must be open ASAP to disconnect the battery, and see what is wet.
My experience shows 5V sub system, speaker and bearings kaput, but the rest is quite resistant.

Exploded.  

there are a few threads of post immersion resurrection - see 

battery is the most important and dangerous concern. In my case the controller was toast and 1 batt pack but the rest cld be rehabed. I think always wrth trying both to avoid tossing a potentially useable machine and for all the great stuff u will learn! but of course especially with batt be very prudent - it does not say danger of disfigurement on each cell for nothin! clean wrk surface preferably in area with good escape route and non flammables in surroundings (garage with doors open and no cars). No metal while opening pack ( spooge, plastic knife/scissors ), eye protection and gloves. Read other threads if unsure how to proceed...

Edited by amelanso