King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

4 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Here’s the real question. Can the handle accidentally pop up or is it only a possible user error issue?  My KS-16 handle locks down and no amount of juggling or bouncing would open it up. It’s impossible without depressing the button.  I realize this is a different type of trolley. Without hitting the button to raise it - does it seem possible for it to accidentally come loose?  

The handle can pop up, the reason the handle can pop up is that its easier to push the button. However theres no need to worry, if the handle pops during ride or a jump and you come to a stop it wont engage into "lift mode". The wheel needs to be stopped to change into different modes. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Well that's it then--Chooch the off-roader picks the V11 (in addition to all the primarily-street-rider youtubers who did so). All the arguing about shocks and built-in Kuji pads and such, and $5 worth of foam on the V11 was enough for it to close that gap, and all the other specs/details--particularly motor torque/power--push it ahead. (And this is even before/not taking into account the improved shock on the final production version as Chooch was still testing the preproduction model.) Not to mention him blanket praising both the V11 and S18 over any/all non-suspension wheels for off-roading.

No ones arguing that the V11 isn’t butt ugly either.  Battery life has been shown NOT to be as good on paper and have fun going through any water and dealing with that awesome squeaky sound. But no worries, next batch will be improved lol. One mans opinion is one mans opinion, even though I realize he’s a seasoned off-road rider. I still love this wheel. Everything you listed is minor and we both know it. I love how this keeps going back to this comparison thing. 

Edited by EUChristian

5 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

The handle can pop up, the reason the handle can pop up is that its easier to push the button. However theres no need to worry, if the handle pops during ride or a jump and you come to a stop it wont engage into "lift mode". The wheel needs to be stopped to change into different modes. 

Understood.  Thank you sir. So if you stop at a stop sign after it popped up on a ride you will not fall on your face when you accelerate - that’s all I needed to hear. 

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 2

Quick trolley handle Summery:

First software. - when handle is lifted to first position The wheel falls on its face before you are ready to lift or as you are transitioning to full trolley

Second software. - when lifting the wheel spins just a bit too much and you can ride in this mode but it slowly tilts forward as you accelerate. ( no big deal.Just stop and put handle down)

Third software. - works great ...... unless you forget and try to ride it. It drops you on your face. 

**** I like two best****

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Understood.  Thank you sir. So if you stop at a stop sign after it popped up on a ride you will not fall on your face when you accelerate - that’s all I needed to hear. 

You WILL, if you come to a stop and then try to ride again with the handle up. With fw 2.05 it gives you just enough to get on the wheel and then drop you. Previous version was better. You neednt fear the handle coming up while you ride, its after you stop and decide to roll again. Better make a habit of looking down to double check. I imagine the newest way the trolley is handled, will be changed back to previous. I cant fathom how people will NOT run into the same thing I did, over and over again. Sadly, even the stupid cheap button on the mten is preferable now, and I hate that damn thing. lol

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack King Song said:

No, as stated in the video. Whilst riding if the handle pops up into lift position it wont change the dynamics of the wheel aka causing you to cut out. The biggest concern I had with 203 was that riders would ride in lift position on purpose and cut out at a higher speed than 204+ 

Hello @Jack King Song

is the 45 degree cutoff angle being addressed ? Or can it be addressed ? A lot of concern around that issue. 

Edited by nycommuter69
  • Like 2

Just got back from a 13-ish mile ride through the hills, about 1,500 feet of elevation gain throughout the ride. Started with ~80% (EUC World optimized setting) and got back with 35%. Top speed of 27 mph, average of around 18 mph. Never got any beeps, but I wasn't pushing super hard, just enjoying the scenery. For a lot of my riding, that's not bad: I feel like I could easily get 25 miles even in the crazy hills here.

What caught my attention was that, even after the main 1,000 foot climb, the wheel only reported a temperature of 28 degrees Celsius, though the ambient was a comfortable 60 degrees Fahrenheit. The passive cooling seems to work pretty well, if that number is correct.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EUChristian said:

Exactly, so in a hypothetical situation where you just got off a trail from mad jumps and your handle popped into "lift position" but you didnt know and you stopped at a stop sign or a traffic light the wheel wont just fall or turn into "lift mode" where it will fall at 1km/h. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nycommuter69 said:

Hello @Jack King Song

is the 45 degree cutoff angle being addressed ? Or can it be addressed ? A lot of concern around that issue. 

We are discussing the cutoff angle. We want to offer this feature where you can customize the cut off angle to members like this forum but worry about new riders causing harm to themselves or their precious S18 adjusting an angle without knowing what it does. The 45 degree cut off angle doesnt happen when you ride at speed, I've done some extremely tight turns at slow speed (almost in place) and it's near impossible for it to cut off unless thats what youre looking for. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

We are discussing the cutoff angle. We want to offer this feature where you can customize the cut off angle to members like this forum but worry about new riders causing harm to themselves or their precious S18 adjusting an angle without knowing what it does. The 45 degree cut off angle doesnt happen when you ride at speed, I've done some extremely tight turns at slow speed (almost in place) and it's near impossible for it to cut off unless thats what youre looking for. 

I think Chooch has hit the cutoff while riding at speed (not sure what wheel). Are you saying that even when riding the wheel through berms at a sharp angle where the wheel is past 45 degrees that it won't cut off?

I personally really like the idea of having the cutoff angle user adjustable. Ship it with the standard cutoff angle and allow users to increase the angle in the app. To discourage inexperienced riders from changing this, hide it behind some "pro/advanced" setting. You could even show a prompt saying something like changing settings in this "pro" section means the user is accepting responsibility for how the wheel behaves afterwards.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You WILL, if you come to a stop and then try to ride again with the handle up. With fw 2.05 it gives you just enough to get on the wheel and then drop you. Previous version was better. You neednt fear the handle coming up while you ride, its after you stop and decide to roll again. Better make a habit of looking down to double check. I imagine the newest way the trolley is handled, will be changed back to previous. I cant fathom how people will NOT run into the same thing I did, over and over again. Sadly, even the stupid cheap button on the mten is preferable now, and I hate that damn thing. lol

Jack is saying this is incorrect. Only if you raise the handle while stopped will it do this. It will not translate to lift mode unless it’s stopped and the handle came off. 

Did yours come up while riding or whiles stopped?

21 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

Any discussion around an increase in top speed while greater than 75% battery power?  35MPH would be awesome...

• Like 3

Mine came up after being stopped I think. I didnt pay enough attention to be completely sure, so I am not a good source for information. Having said that, I'll bow out of this entire thread, as Im not an s18 owner, nor do I aspire to be. My suggestion would be to try and test everything yourself. Good luck knowing wtf you're going to get with a firmware update until AFTER its been released and you already learned the hard way.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

I think Chooch has hit the cutoff while riding at speed (not sure what wheel). Are you saying that even when riding the wheel through berms at a sharp angle where the wheel is past 45 degrees that it won't cut off?

I personally really like the idea of having the cutoff angle user adjustable. Ship it with the standard cutoff angle and allow users to increase the angle in the app. To discourage inexperienced riders from changing this, hide it behind some "pro/advanced" setting. You could even show a prompt saying something like changing settings in this "pro" section means the user is accepting responsibility for how the wheel behaves afterwards.

I have two units im constantly testing and I'm able to scrape pedals without cut off. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jack King Song said:

I have two units im constantly testing and I'm able to scrape pedals without cut off. 

Yeah, but is that on flat ground? I would like for the wheel to be able to ride berms where the wheel might be tilted even further than what is possible on flat ground.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Any discussion around an increase in top speed while greater than 75% battery power?  35MPH would be awesome...

@Jack King Song Yes please...pretty please with an extra dollop of honey. Since we already are limited with range, let's at least have the speed 🥰

• Like 2

8 hours ago, EUChristian said:

never ever going to happen... if you want real speed you won’t ever get it out of KingSong. They won’t change til it hits their finances. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jack King Song said:

oFrLeHT.png

I downloaded the KS app for my android phone from the KS website.  I checked for firmware updates in the settings and it still says I'm on the the latest firmware 2.03.  Please advise.

55 minutes ago, Feynman said:

To each their own.  I think it's ugly as heck.  Up there with my Roomba errr I mean Nikola.  Best looking wheel ever is the Z10.  S18  might be the new king, though  

Funny you say that because many people consider the V11 the spiritual successor to the Z10, especially now that Ninebot is no longer in the market for EUCs. Granted, they're from different brands but everything from the build quality, the halo daytime running light, and the feux carbon fiber shell pattern all scream Z10 design language. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will admit though, the S18 is super duper good looking, almost Mclaren-esque.

Edited by iode
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, iode said:

Funny you say that because many people consider the V11 the spiritual successor to the Z10, especially now that Ninebot is no longer in the market for EUCs. Granted, they're from different brands but everything from the build quality, the halo daytime running light, and the feux carbon fiber shell pattern all scream Z10 design language. But as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I will admit though, the S18 is super duper good looking, almost Mclaren-esque.

They should have hired Ninebot's designer. ;)  Disclaimer that I have a bias against Inmotion to begin with.  I hear the V11 is solid, but previous ones I've ridden have seemed... flimsy.. compare to KS, GW and Ninebot.

• Like 1