King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

I like my S18 more every time I ride it. It takes a little getting used to. I switched back to the XL for 10 miles and could not wait to switch back to the s18. One thing that I have noted is that the pedals on the XL are much firmer in the expert mode than the S18. I prefer the rock hard pedals of the MSX.

That said the S18 has a new to me pedal program that lifts the front of the pedal slightly when you are likely to accelerate and dips when you are about to break? ( I don’t quite have it figured out yet.) I thought it was just Kingsong. I am primarily a GW rider. However when switching back to the XL I found that the XL does not do that. I could easily get used to whatever the S18 is doing. The software is pretty smart. 

Ugly or not I am ready for the GW suspension wheel. The S18 will likely beat the GW suspension wheel in several ways but I like my hard pedals and big batteries. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

Right now the S18 is my favorite wheel. I think that there are a lot of new things to get used to. You have to take time and dial in the suspension. get used to the higher stance, get used to the pedal movements and find your foot position. The only quality issue that I have is that it came with one broken pedal spring and the second spring broke after a few days. I originally thought that the pedal was not  staying up because I still had the protective sticky bumper on it. I printed two new plastic springs and they are working fine so far. I might make a few small changes to them and put them on Thingaverse. 

I don't know why people are downing the wheel. I jumped off a 8" curb at 27mph It felt like a sidewalk joint. I don't really have anything bad to say about it. 

As a reference, I started an off road trail ride at 100% , 19 miles later I was at 67%.  Not Bad!!

So glad to see some love for the S18!  Seems like most reviewers I've seen prefer the V11.  I've had bad experience with InMotion wheels, so am biased; plus I think the V11 is ugly.  My S18 is stuck in HK for some reason, but I can't wait to get it.  I love my buddy's 16x and am hoping this wheel feels and rides similarly.   

• Like 2

@Duf just came out with a video explaining what happened to his V11. Long story short InMotion used a bearing that is not water resistant. After riding a short distance in the rain and then letting the wheel sit for a week the bearings developed a noise. ( Trust me when I tell you that bearing noise is not good.) 

On the plus side the rest of the V11 seems....    Nope I ain’t saying it but I am a little impressed. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

So glad to see some love for the S18!  Seems like most reviewers I've seen prefer the V11.  I've had bad experience with InMotion wheels, so am biased; plus I think the V11 is ugly.  My S18 is stuck in HK for some reason, but I can't wait to get it.  I love my buddy's 16x and am hoping this wheel feels and rides similarly.   

I have both and like both but to be honest with you I have not ridden either that much because it’s like 80,000,000,000° here in Florida and riding right now it’s not very fun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Patton250 said:

I have both and like both but to be honest with you I have not ridden either that much because it’s like 80,000,000,000° here in Florida and riding right now it’s not very fun.

It's about the same temp here in TX.  Haven't been on my Z10 in days.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You have GOT to be shitting me. First ride on new firmware and I make it a total of 1' and the fukn wheel falls down, panel pops loose in the front, I step off and drop my camera. The newer firmware has changed how the trolley works. Now if you try to ride off with it barely up, itll let you get moving just enough to drop your ass. TOtal bullshit. I liked it before. SOmetimes i trolley my wheels with the trolley barely up. Try that with the s18 and newer fw and it just slowly drops to its  face. Nice upgrade for sure :furious:.Now I have a scratched up side panel and a ruined gopro max lens. I wish we would get firmware notes. Im going back to previous version, as I hadnt fallen off the damn thing with that firmware. Sonofabitch, THIS is why I ask wtf a firmware update entails. What a great fukn way to begin a damn ride.  I think we are OWED an explanation of ALL firmware changes, BEFORE we are instructed to update.

*nevermind, I'm selling it. First come first serve. Hell, Im even taking about a $400 loss.

for what little it is worth thanks for info on that trolly change

on the previous firmware, I did the same thing as you, I would trolly it around in that first position.  I saw nothing wrong with it.

Just updated to 2.05, and it totally does that fall off thing, forwards or backwards after like half a second?  wonder what the logic was there

• Like 1

I just came back from my second 20 mile ride on the S18 today and I have my first complaint. I really enjoyed jumping speed bumps on my MSX. The suspension on the S18 just soaks them up. :angry:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ben Hatfield said:

Just updated to 2.05, and it totally does that fall off thing, forwards or backwards after like half a second?  wonder what the logic was there

Just performed the update and I have the same issue. Once you extend the handle beyond the 1st notch everything is fine.

Not sure what type of lifting sensor(s) the handle has but there must be more than one sensor that determines the telescopic position.

If the new 2.05 FW update can easily interrupt a wheel‘s momentum in these circumstances I have concerns. Why does the S18 trolley electronics need to be so complicated?

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

@Duf just came out with a video explaining what happened to his V11. Long story short InMotion used a bearing that is not water resistant. After riding a short distance in the rain and then letting the wheel sit for a week the bearings developed a noise. ( Trust me when I tell you that beating noise is not good.) 

That happened before with the V10F where IM used suboptimal bearings. During their recall they were replacing bearings and waterproofing the batteries. Such an expensive mistake.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

Dialed back even more, when the wheel reaches lift position the power is limited to the point where you can hardly ride it, t

Jack should there be any concerns of the S18 shutting down if the trolley handle inadvertently pops up while riding? 

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Jack should there be any concerns of the S18 shutting down if the trolley handle inadvertently pops up while riding? 

No, as stated in the video. Whilst riding if the handle pops up into lift position it wont change the dynamics of the wheel aka causing you to cut out. The biggest concern I had with 203 was that riders would ride in lift position on purpose/or by accident and cut out at a higher speed than 204+ 

Edited by Jack King Song
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

No, as stated in the video. Whilst riding if the handle pops up into lift position it wont change the dynamics of the wheel aka causing you to cut out. The biggest concern I had with 203 was that riders would ride in lift position on purpose and cut out at a higher speed than 204+ 

My biggest concern was that I had not known wtf firmware updates entailed, and the latest version caused it to drop the rider at slow speed. I was advised to use the soft tuner app to update the 'firmwaer'  and did so, against my own better judgement. If a rider was riding the tiltback of the previous version, they were obviously asking for trouble. If a rider just forget to drop his handle all the way on the new firmware, he'll be reminded so quickly, it will cause a wheel drop. A wheel drop on a wheel that is damn hard to grab as its falling.  It wasnt JUST the firmware bullshit, there was a few things that pushed me to selling at a loss. I wont list the issues here, but a big one is that the wheel affords no more power than the old 18L. Plush ride on the s18, but at too great a loss in other areas. Not being able to mount the thing on a hill and ride off like an 18L is also one of them. It just wasnt meant for me I guess. Oddly, NOW I'm worried for the Sherman I have on order.  DOn't worry Jack, mines sold (at a considerable loss) so you neednt read my opinions on it much anymore.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

No, as stated in the video. Whilst riding if the handle pops up into lift position it wont change the dynamics of the wheel aka causing you to cut out. The biggest concern I had with 203 was that riders would ride in lift position on purpose and cut out at a higher speed than 204+ 

Thanks! I’m relieved! Your basis for updating the firmware is sound. Your detailed breakdown on FW changes was excellent! Please continue providing these important specifics with each new FW modification. Thanks again!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ShanesPlanet said:

My biggest concern was that I had not known wtf firmware updates entailed, and the latest version caused it to drop the rider at slow speed.

Hopefully Jack will continue to provide a full breakdown of the new features applied to each FW update when released.

Shane I could very easily have experienced the same unfortunate outcome you had if I had updated my firmware earlier. I owe you!

• Like 1

Here’s the real question. Can the handle accidentally pop up or is it only a possible user error issue?  My KS-16 handle locks down and no amount of juggling or bouncing would open it up. It’s impossible without depressing the button.  I realize this is a different type of trolley. Without hitting the button to raise it - does it seem possible for it to accidentally come loose?