King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

2 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Just like dents in your car. ;)

Ok, good point, I don't like dents in my car either!

Anyone know what replacement shells cost? You know, it's not a matter of if you crash, but when you crash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bobby said:

Hey, while you're still battle testing you could spray this panel with Plasti Dip (or similar) rubber paint, and peel it off later when you're ready for the art!

I’m not sure Bobby. The surface is weird. Appears to be formulated with a significant amount of petroleum based or silicone product. I couldn’t get self adhesive velcro to stick adequately. I cleaned the surface well but did not sand the material. I ended up fastening my GoPro mount with rivets. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HerotheCat said:

Ok, good point, I don't like dents in my car either!

Anyone know what replacement shells cost? You know, it's not a matter of if you crash, but when you crash.

My crashing days are over.;) 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Any suggestions on an air pump for my shock? The one that came with it is basically useless for me. Im having to air it up to 250psi and by the time i get it disconnected, its somewhere around 150psi. TO check it, I have to put the pump back on it and of course thats pointless as Ill lose a random amount when i take it back off. For now,  its redundant to even bother trying to find decent shock settings. Even if i find some, who knows what the pressures really are?

I haven't gotten mine in yet so I'm unsure if it'll fit but I attach this slime inflator hose adapter to my Milwaukee Cordless M12 Compact Inflator to pump up most of tires especially the smaller scooter tires that deflate really quick.  

If u can wait, I'll be glad to update u once my S18 arrives.

31 minutes ago, Scottie888 said:

I haven't gotten mine in yet so I'm unsure if it'll fit but I attach this slime inflator hose adapter to my Milwaukee Cordless M12 Compact Inflator to pump up most of tires especially the smaller scooter tires that deflate really quick.  

If u can wait, I'll be glad to update u once my S18 arrives.

I'm pretty sure you won't be fitting that on the top valve of the s18. Later models dont have the valve so maybe it will help with the lower and not releasing so much air upon removal. Be sure that its rated for 200psi, as these shocks arent tires. You do know that tire valve and shock valves are NOT the same size? I'll do some research and come up with a solution, even if it means shock replacement or a stupid expensive pump. First Im going to look for right angle fitting or something, for that top valve. Keep me updated...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Rubberized coatings are not fun to mess with. I'd reconsider bothering to ruin someones artwork by putting it on an euc. Theres probably other ways to patron them that wont be such a waste.

Any suggestions on an air pump for my shock? The one that came with it is basically useless for me. Im having to air it up to 250psi and by the time i get it disconnected, its somewhere around 150psi. TO check it, I have to put the pump back on it and of course thats pointless as Ill lose a random amount when i take it back off. For now,  its redundant to even bother trying to find decent shock settings. Even if i find some, who knows what the pressures really are?

Are you sure that the air pressure of the shock is dropping when you disconnect and not just the pressure in the hose/pump?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

Are you sure that the air pressure of the shock is dropping when you disconnect and not just the pressure in the hose/pump?

Yes, I've tried numerous times. I can set it up to 250psi and remove it as fast as possible. When I put it back on as quickly as I can (loses much less air of course since the hose isnt full) It reads 150psi. I lose less on the lower numbers, so I can go to about 80psi and get 50psi when i recheck. Maybe I'm reading low as it wont read until it loses what it takes to fill the hose?  I'm tempted to make a short vid , maybe Im just not doing it right. Ive only messed with hundreds of thousands of valves in my lifetime, but that doesnt mean I know shit. I guess the only way to know for sure, is to NOT use the pump as a gauge, since it loses on release and uses too much when you reinflate the tool. Before I do anything drastic, I'll invest in a pressure gauge and a decent pump. I keep forgetting its a brand new shock. Hell, my numbers may change as it wears in anyhow. I'll keep tinkering.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

I don't know either. I just thought that it could be that the shock does stay at whatever pressure you set it to but when you reconnect the pump to check the pressure the air pressure drops because the air from the shock escapes to fill the hose/pump.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

I don't know either. I just thought that it could be that the shock does stay at whatever pressure you set it to but when you reconnect the pump to check the pressure the air pressure drops because the air from the shock escapes to fill the hose/pump.

Im betting this has  lot to do with it. NONE of my pressure gauges are the right size for this, so I'll have to order one and we can know for sure. I find it hard to believe that it won't work, it HAS to be a misunderstanding on my part. It aint like this is all new uncharted territory here. 1000's of mountain bikers can get it to work just fine. If anyone has a gauge, would they care to air up their shock to a specific amount, remove it, and check with a gauge? If someone else can verify its working just fine, I'll accept what the pump tells me and worry about the next moot point. ;)

4 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Im betting this has  lot to do with it. NONE of my pressure gauges are the right size for this, so I'll have to order one and we can know for sure. I find it hard to believe that it won't work, it HAS to be a misunderstanding on my part. It aint like this is all new uncharted territory here. 1000's of mountain bikers can get it to work just fine. If anyone has a gauge, would they care to air up their shock to a specific amount, remove it, and check with a gauge? If someone else can verify its working just fine, I'll accept what the pump tells me and worry about the next moot point. ;)

I personally don't worry about the exact pressure being known.  I worry more about how far the red o-ring gets moved down.  If it bottoms out, I need to put more that I did before.  If it doesn't move much, I need to let more air out.  I will tune the pressure with the results of the ride rather than what the gauge says.  But that's because I expect the pump to be a cheap addon.  I no longer have my rockshocks air pump.  I got rid of it when I sold my mountain bike years ago.  I would have no issue buying another if I felt it were a big problem though.  I just haven't gotten there yet.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cranium said:

I personally don't worry about the exact pressure being known.  I worry more about how far the red o-ring gets moved down.  If it bottoms out, I need to put more that I did before.  If it doesn't move much, I need to let more air out.  I will tune the pressure with the results of the ride rather than what the gauge says.  But that's because I expect the pump to be a cheap addon.  I no longer have my rockshocks air pump.  I got rid of it when I sold my mountain bike years ago.  I would have no issue buying another if I felt it were a big problem though.  I just haven't gotten there yet.

That's assuming that if you do get air loss that its a consistent amount of air loss. If you pump it to 150psi each time but sometimes you don't lose much air and sometimes the pressure drops to 100psi, then you can't get a reliable setting. Do you feel like the included pump is at least consistent?

1 minute ago, Mark Wilson said:

That's assuming that if you do get air loss that its a consistent amount of air loss. If you pump it to 150psi each time but sometimes you don't lose much air and sometimes the pressure drops to 100psi, then you can't get a reliable setting. Do you feel like the included pump is at least consistent?

I get a consistent amount of air lost with each disconnection of the pump (which doesn't seem excessive to me).  I do not reattach the pump to check because that causes more air to be lost.  I use the pressure reading as just a reference pressure to add or remove depending on the results of use.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, eve said:

What Amperage comes the fast charger with? Is it 4A or 5A?

Anyone knows?

Factory charger 2.5amp.  Ewheels fast charger 1,2,3,4,5  80% 90% 100%. 

What shock settings are you guys using? Im having the worst tome getting any rider sag. When I do, I dont have enough rebound to get the shock back to full extension. 135lb rider here...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

3 hours ago, Planemo said:

I use a Fox shock pump. Has a little bleed valve too, so after fitting/refitting a few times you get a feel for how much you lose. Just over-pressurize by around the same amount, bleed it off till perfect then unscrew. Works really well on my MTB's. The valve connector is designed to lose as little as possible when removing which helps too as it's far more consistent than you would see when using a tyre pumps on tyres for example.

https://www.bikester.co.uk/fox-racing-shox-hp-forksuspension-pump-with-bleed-foldable-1050677.html?_cid=21_1_-1_9_305_1050677_201642850999_pla&ef_id=Cj0KCQjwyJn5BRDrARIsADZ9ykHm-xTtMJm0-j5S8pAJdzYeeytY1okfiPllhJRTg_SoXT0TlcPTnX0aAoSdEALw_wcB:G:s&campaign_detail=shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyJn5BRDrARIsADZ9ykHm-xTtMJm0-j5S8pAJdzYeeytY1okfiPllhJRTg_SoXT0TlcPTnX0aAoSdEALw_wcB

I believe this is the same pump (for us in America). Can you confirm?  $33 is a steal for this quality. 

Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007-150 Psi Max https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F212OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VeSjFb98YFEAN

47 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

You have GOT to be shitting me. First ride on new firmware and I make it a total of 1' and the fukn wheel falls down, panel pops loose in the front, I step off and drop my camera. The newer firmware has changed how the trolley works. Now if you try to ride off with it barely up, itll let you get moving just enough to drop your ass. TOtal bullshit. I liked it before. SOmetimes i trolley my wheels with the trolley barely up. Try that with the s18 and newer fw and it just slowly drops to its  face. Nice upgrade for sure :furious:.Now I have a scratched up side panel and a ruined gopro max lens. I wish we would get firmware notes. Im going back to previous version, as I hadnt fallen off the damn thing with that firmware. Sonofabitch, THIS is why I ask wtf a firmware update entails. What a great fukn way to begin a damn ride.  I think we are OWED an explanation of ALL firmware changes, BEFORE we are instructed to update.

*nevermind, I'm selling it. First come first serve. Hell, Im even taking about a $400 loss.

Damn.  If I hadn't already ordered one, and was stupid enough to pay for express shipping to have my S18 still sitting in limbo in HK for 3.5 weeks, I'd buy it!

• Like 1

You have GOT to be shitting me. First ride on new firmware and I make it a total of 1' and the fukn wheel falls down, panel pops loose in the front, I step off and drop my camera. The newer firmware has changed how the trolley works. Now if you try to ride off with it barely up, itll let you get moving just enough to drop your ass. TOtal bullshit. I liked it before. SOmetimes i trolley my wheels with the trolley barely up. Try that with the s18 and newer fw and it just slowly drops to its  face.

This sounds like the behavior on the original firmware as well.  I tested riding starting with the trolley handle up to the first position (beeps) and the wheel was spongy and dipped down more and more as you went faster.  I didn't test it to the point of dropping me off the front though.  This does not happen if you pull up the handle after the wheel is in motion.  Even after you stop, the carry mode won't engage until you put the handle back down and then pull it back out with the wheel stopped.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EUChristian said:

I believe this is the same pump (for us in America). Can you confirm?  $33 is a steal for this quality. 

Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007-150 Psi Max https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001F212OK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_VeSjFb98YFEAN

Well my pump goes to 20 bar/300psi, not 150psi.

I reckon you will need quite a lot of psi. I run around 120 in my MTB and the shock on that is sharing the pain with the front forks. I imagine that EUC's will need a higher psi as all the weight is on one shock. I don't know tbh because I haven't really been following the S18/V11 threads that much with regards to psi settings.