King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

1 hour ago, Jack King Song said:

If you’ve received an S18 please update to the latest firmware! (2.05)

I would if I could, but the app says I have the latest with 2.03 🤷‍♂️

Please don't tell me I need a super old Android phone to get the update to work...

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Doesn’t the S18 pump have the little lever that engages and disengages the valve when the hose is screwed in place? V11 does and people have said that it’s the same pump. 

It's the same brand, but a slightly different model. At least, the one I received, that is. I found that I lose around 20 PSI from the positive chamber, and about 10 PSI from the negative chamber, so I just over fill by that much now. Seems to be working, when I go to adjust the pressure, I get the expected reading after reattaching the pump.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mrelwood said:

Doesn’t the S18 pump have the little lever that engages and disengages the valve when the hose is screwed in place? V11 does and people have said that it’s the same pump. 

45 minutes ago, redfoxdude said:

It's the same brand, but a slightly different model. At least, the one I received, that is.

Judging from the King Song video explaining the shock pressure set up, the supplied S18 pump is also supposed to be a dual mode pump that can be used to pump the tires at lower pressure too!  @redfoxdude can you confirm this is the case with your one please (the one in the video did not have the shut off lever though)?

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Judging from the King Song video explaining the shock pressure set up, the supplied S18 pump is also supposed to be a dual mode pump that can be used to pump the tires at lower pressure too!  @redfoxdude can you confirm this is the case with your one please (the one in the video did not have the shut off lever though)?

Unfortunately, I didn't get that model, either :( I got this one: https://giyo.com.tw/web/03product/03shock/GS-02PT.php

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redfoxdude said:

Unfortunately, I didn't get that model, either :( I got this one: https://giyo.com.tw/web/03product/03shock/GS-02PT.php

Bummer! I do hope when my S18 finally arrives I get the dual mode one as it would be extra useful to carry in a backpack!

4 hours ago, redfoxdude said:

So much fun. Hitting gnarly tree roots in the paths like a boss - I hardly felt them!

Oooohhh... I hate roots! Worst thing when riding on forest paths. Sounds perfect 👌🏻, looking forward to my suspension wheel soon. :clap3:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mrelwood said:

A smaller tire diameter is the only factor that can notably help with that.  Even the S18 can’t overcome the laws of physics. ;) The 3” tire on the S18 actually makes it  slightly larger than the 18L. Firmware does play a small role as well, but going from KS to KS I wouldn’t expect much difference.

Mine came with this one. It unscrews to break the seal. Since its a pita to get to the top valve, its hard to unscrew it REALLY fast to try and minimize air loss. Its amazing how small an amount of air they really hold! It has a button to release air. I have truck gauges here, nothing that goes above 100psi. I'll find something a little better, or just get used to it I guess.

DSCN7980.thumb.JPG.eaa80157e7b25fcb585b6a6dc066eda5.JPG

Good point about the tire diameter. I have to say that it is VERY flavor of Kingsong. I'd bet they built on the winning 18XL formula and that would make perfect sense. I'll get used to it and toss on some power pads. I don't have any pads on the 18L, I like my rollNZ too much. This s18 just screams custom pads to me. I'll need to dial in a VERY plush ride. Im so used to having a lot of travel and I dont weigh shit. Even if a suspension is a tad soft for bigger jumps, lets not forget that we can still use our knees to help. Now, if only it would stop raining and we could get firmware notes....

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

I too was issued a single mode pump. Thinking I was doing something wrong I banged on it, twisted the handle around, unscrewed the end cap. :furious:

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 10:26 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Totally sick and one sure fire way to be worried about your wheel. DO you want to enjoy it or admire it?

I may need to reconsider adding an airbrushed Terminator to my S18. As my wheel goes through battle testing the area I selected for the artwork is taking some abuse.

50176909337_42fbb8fbfa_b.jpg

I have some clear heat moldable polyplastic coming Monday to see if artwork could be protected. 

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I may need to reconsider adding an airbrushed Terminator to my S18. As my wheel goes through battle testing the area I selected for the artwork is taking some abuse.

I have some clear heat moldable polyplastic coming Monday to see if artwork could be protected. 

We use this stuff for our paramotor props to keep rocks from chipping the edge.  Might work for that:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchgard-Clear-Protection-72-inches/dp/B004VG6SWS/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=3m+clear+rubber&qid=1596297249&sr=8-31 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Feynman said:

We use this stuff for our paramotor props to keep rocks from chipping the edge.  Might work for that:

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Scotchgard-Clear-Protection-72-inches/dp/B004VG6SWS/ref=sr_1_31?dchild=1&keywords=3m+clear+rubber&qid=1596297249&sr=8-31 

I do not believe this will provide the protection needed for this utility unfortunately. Building a neoprene cover would be better but unsure how to make that work on this design. My KS16 neoprene cover really helps a ton. Too bad I destroyed the week before I bought it. 

maybe individual neoprene covers die each panel?

2 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

An airbrushed Terminator would be so 80s anyway (teenage boy in the 80s, no less). Don't do it. Less is more.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Hey Dan,  After you learn to ride this wheel can you give us your thoughts on it? :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, EUChristian said:

For scratches on black wheels I use a sharpie marker. Not perfect but takes the shine out of the scratches and makes them less noticeable. 

Thanks. Yes that works great. I have also used variable speed arbors at work with specialized smoothing cones. I also melt in black wax and hand smooth the surface.

I’m hoping the transparent side shields that I fabricate next week will offer a high degree of protection but in reality the scratches don’t seem to concern me like they use to.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Thanks. Yes that works great. I have also used variable speed arbors at work with specialized smoothing cones. I also melt in black wax and hand smooth the surface.

I’m hoping the transparent side shields that I fabricate next week will offer a high degree of protection but in reality the scratches don’t seem to concern me like they use to.

They add "Character" . :-D

Edited by HerotheCat
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Hey, while you're still battle testing you could spray this panel with Plasti Dip (or similar) rubber paint, and peel it off later when you're ready for the art!

• Like 1