King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

17 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i havent seem them side by side i assumed the 18XL was much bigger..

You can compare visually below. Not huge difference in the outer size.

We would need to see also the final S18 tire. It is 3 inch wide. So it should be larger than used in all the previous KS EUCs. 

IMG_20200409_012333_481.jpg

Edited by Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

oh i didnt see where they listed the specs anywhere but the teaser pics with fake range xD lame

You can work the voltage out from the battery size alone. Same for the V11. No spec sheet neededB)

7 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i must have been dreaming... why did i think this whole time the V11 was going to be 100V lol... maybe that was a rumor or something, now its not so strange that KS wont be 100V.. but yea, why not? O.o

21700 cells vs 100V maybe? Two conspicuous zeros in both?

Why not? Because it would be a total departure from everything KS have done before (which the suspension already is). They don't have a 100V board. Gotway were clever and worked their way up step-by-step, one part at a time.

Surely KS could have done 100V electronics. But I believe it's not that easy (seeing Gotway's failed attempts at 126V it's apparently not as easy as just using higher rated components), and KS would have started at zero, to add to the suspension. And maybe (as before) they just don't want to do the step to 100V (or above 50kph) in the first place.

I'm not surprised, but I also wouldn't have been surprised if IM and KS would have gone 100V with such radical all-new wheels. It's interesting that they went 84V. This isn't necessarily good or bad, but notable because we don't know why.

5 minutes ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

We would need to see also the final S18 tire. It is 3 inch. So it should be larger than used in all the previous KS EUCs. 

awesome compare photo. Wow, looks like the 16x has enough sidewall that is is nearly the same as the 18. I bet you are right, its gna be a tall 18 sidewall + the added height of suspension. I'd guess itll almost look like a monster when unsprung, but hopefully settles an inch under rider weight. Too cool, maybe the sks18 will FEEL smoother and bigger than the current 18XL offering. At least at 84v, any current ks owners will now have 2 chargers for faster charges.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

We would need to see also the final S18 tire. It is 3 inch. So it should be larger than used in all the previous KS EUCs. 

wow that is massive! and what do you have on that rockwheel is that a different tire, looks thicker?

20190415_213746.jpg

Edited by Rywokast

2 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

You can work the voltage out from the battery size alone. Same for the V11. No spec sheet neededB)

21700 cells vs 100V maybe? Two conspicuous zeros in both?

Why not? Because it would be a total departure from everything KS have done before (which the suspension already is). They don't have a 100V board. Gotway were clever and worked their way up step-by-step, one part at a time.

Surely KS could have done 100V electronics. But I believe it's not that easy (seeing Gotway's failed attempts at 126V it's apparently not as easy as just using higher rated components), and KS would have started at zero, to add to the suspension. And maybe (as before) they just don't want to do the step to 100V (or above 50kph) in the first place.

I'm not surprised, but I also wouldn't have been surprised if IM and KS would have gone 100V with such radical all-new wheels. It's interesting that they went 84V. This isn't necessarily good or bad, but notable because we don't know why.

im not that smart :P ohhhh maybe that was it yea... mmhm makes sense logically too much of a gamble

1 minute ago, Patricio Bohórquez Rodríguez de Medina said:

It was the Inmotion V10 tire, 2.5 wide. 

nice :D

28 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

I think only Gotway wheels are 100V now?

Yep only Gotway has 100V wheels.

29 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

I could be wrong, but it seems Gotway also leading the reported battery explosion cases? <--- just by all the posts that I've read around, not by any report.

Were there any battery explosions, any manufacturer? I don't believe so. Piercing a battery in a crash doesn't count, that's just how it works.

Gotway batteries tend to be the best among all manufacturers.

• Like 1

Yep only Gotway has 100V wheels.

Were there any battery explosions, any manufacturer? I don't believe so. Piercing a battery in a crash doesn't count, that's just how it works.

i think "battery explosions" doesnt inmotion win that? the V10 launch, lack of waterproofing, didnt a few go up?... besides people beating the hell out of them i havent heard of any reports either

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

i think "battery explosions" doesnt inmotion win that? the V10 launch, lack of waterproofing, didnt a few go up?

Even that was just isolated cases with clear causes (doesn't excuse the initial fuck-up, but it's over now). There's nothing to worry about in general with any manufacturer.

Even that was just isolated cases with clear causes (doesn't excuse the initial fuck-up, but it's over now). There's nothing to worry about in general with any manufacturer.

yea for sure.. i just remember a video shortly after launch of a guys v10 on the lawn up in flames.. think he said it had been out in heavy rain, and of course they realized their mistake quickly and did a huge recall.. yea in general batteries have been top notch and the least worrisome aspect haha

26 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Something like this: 

My bad, whenever read about smoke and fire, my mind pop up the battery :) (Samsung note 7 flashback)

My point of view also can be distorted by the fact I only know about EUC for less than a year, so Gotway are the hottest wheels around since :) 

Edited by Phong Vu
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phong Vu said:

My bad, whenever read about smoke and fire, my mind pop up the battery :) (Samsung note 7 flashback)

Yep it was never the batteries. Fried mosfets and melted cabling maybe, but the battery packs survived admirably in nearly every case I can recall, and never caught on fire/exploded.

-

Speaking of batteries (on topic), the S18 battery packs have nice metal casings!

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fryman said:

KS,  more battery please.

I think it comes down to basic geometry. That's all you're going to get on this design. Shocks take valuable real estate

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I think it comes down to basic geometry. That's all you're going to get on this design. Shocks take valuable real estate

IF this is true, then there wont be much buyers remorse and an Xsks18 won't be coming directly after...  A rare positive spin on it, if you will.

• Like 1

One thing I've never really understood if why kingsong and gotway 84v wheels have different throttling.  I know a lot more goes into it than just the voltage but gotway isnt dropping people on their faces all the time. 

Maybe this time kingsong have changed other things and they really can throttle at 30% this time.

I know on my gotway mcm5 it is basically always throttling,  speed drops in relation to charge, where my 16s just seems to have a limited top speed so it hits the top speed until around 50% then starts tilting back. 

Both seem to go down very low before "limp home" mode kicks in. 

If this S18 can get full speed to 30% (under load) that would be decent, but I'm still wishing it had more battery.  

I do like that they went with a fox shock and linkage! On the other hand I always loved the simplicity of having only one moving part....I need this virus debacle to go away, get back to work and just "pokemon" out and collect them all!

@mrelwood, blending the two as you suggest would be awesome! 

I do find it remarkable that when I started this adventure 6k miles ago 30mph was unheard of speed and now we are see the first suspension designs and 30mph is almost the bare min of acceptable speed! 

One could throw a dart at photos of the flag ship wheels and end with an amazing machine these days!

I do want my next wheel to give me 25 to 30 good usable miles in the dirt and 50 or so miles on pavement between 20 to 25mph. I'd like a top speed over 30 so I could get around town commuting in a hurry of running late and weather protection would be great. 

I'm shocked on the speed I can go on the mcm5 at low battery if I gingerly creep up, but seeing that graph I know why. 3.3v being empty is in a way gotways way of having a safety margin. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eucenduro said:

Hi everybody!!! )) 

I have a question about kss18 battery. Let's see if anyone can help me and tell me if i'm right:

5000mah LG

3p battery support 1.200w motor and they put 2200

15000mah

15a X 74v = 1110 wh ks s18

If those are the 21700 5000mAh 10A cells, then 3p should sustain 74*3*10 = 2220W and probably much higher momentary peak.

If the 7.275A cells, 1615W sustained.  The LG 5000mAh cells I see are actually rated 3.63V nominal (72.6V total) ...

I don't know how many cells are in parallel for this wheel.

1110Wh is a really specific number.  4p would be something very odd like 3750mAh * 4*20 * 3.7V = 1110Wh

Edited by xorbe
  • Like 1

Im 130lb frame, we can compare notes as we are somewhat opposite ends of the spectrum. Having the fox  type shock, sealed the deal for me. I am really hoping that its of dimensions that enable us to swap out or adjust very closely, as just you and I differ in both weights and useage intentions. Did you specify color? I told Jason no preference, because i just dont know. Not a fan of white usually, but also not a big fan of rubberized coatings... tis why I left it up to jason.  What sealed the sks18 deal for you, as I see you are coming FROM innovation? Me, im a biased KS snob. I do hope KS sends tons of repair parts with the preorders, as I fully expect to need something soon after its arrival.

Edited by ShanesPlanet