Jump to content
Phong Vu

King Song S18 Discussion

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Rule #1.....Never Ever transition from riding a Mten3 for 2 weeks straight to riding the S18.:facepalm: Minor mishap but I feel much better now that I have my first scratch out of the way. :thumbup:

Oh dear... Ive been riding my Mten3 constantly lately :roflmao: I guess Ill try my best to take it slow when adjusting.

 

16 minutes ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

^ I'll get some pictures of my S18 this afternoon...  You'll feel better.  Learning to ride an EUC for the first time with it, on dirt trail, I'm pretty certain I'm in the lead for "most abused" production S18. 

Id love to see that! My KS14D looks pretty beat up and 99% of it was my first week of riding :cheers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MTen3 is my first wheel and I've been learning on it the last few months... switching to S18 is definitely challenging since I'm used to this tiny thing that's so nimble in comparison.

I'm running into an issue riding the S18 though... I try to get my feet into the ankle cutouts but when I do it causes my knees to awkwardly bend outward because the top of the wheel is wider than the where my feet fit into the ankle cutouts... it's causing some pain in my knees.

I tried a wider stance moving my feet out of the cutouts but I still feel some pain.  Anyone else running into this?  I might just be novice with larger wheels... I don't know.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

I think my wobble issue is resolved.

I aired down the tire to the point where I could compress it with my hand, not quite to the point illustrated in EUCGuy's video, but almost.  From there, I put the wheel in trolley mode and ran it back and forth for a few minutes, leaning on it with moderate pressure.  Following that, the free wheel spinning balance was significantly improved.  I aired it up about half way after that and rode it for about 5 minutes, and then aired it back up to what seemed to be spec.  Not sure on the psi, as the gauge on the pump that shipped with the wheel may have given out.  But regardless, the underlying sensation is basically gone, and yes, I do still feel some wobble, which straightening my legs is extremely effective in eliminating.  So, I would score this one as "all of the above".

Thanks so much guys!

 

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc. Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique. The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage. Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell. I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me. I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

 

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc. Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique. The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage. Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell. I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me. I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

 

 

Wow, good job it hit that pole. :shock2:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ColoradoQuattro said:

I'm pretty certain I'm in the lead for "most abused"

Always up for a challenge. I may have to drag my S18 behind my truck over a gravel road.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -iB- said:

Id love to see that! My KS14D looks pretty beat up and 99% of it was my first week of riding :cheers:

20200729_164416

 

20200729_16443720200729_16440920200729_164359

This ought to give you the gist of it...  But I'm up and rolling now!  These were all low speed dumps that were only good for scuffing up the wheel and annoying the rider.  The next batch of crashes should be way more epic (and painful)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

Wow...glad your ok! :thumbup: You now have a great chest pounding action video to share. Aren’t drones great?;)

50167571268_e194e75f10_b.jpg

 

Edited by Rehab1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Rehab1 said:

Wow...glad your ok! :thumbup: You now have a great chest pounding action video to share. Aren’t drones great?;)

50167571268_e194e75f10_b.jpg

 

That's how you eject from the wheel LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -iB- said:

Oh dear... Ive been riding my Mten3 constantly lately :roflmao: I guess Ill try my best to take it slow when adjusting.

No worries! You’ll be fine. Probably just me. I empirically need a few rides to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of a new wheel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

No worries! You’ll be fine. Probably just me. I empirically need a few rides to adjust to the idiosyncrasies of a new wheel.

Not just you. I’ve switched from a KS16 to an MTen and thought it was broke it felt so different lol. Big deal for me was going from flat to angled pedals. It’s not like learning to ride again...but switching from one extreme to another...for me it’s like going back to week 2 on the EUC. I can ride it...but not well. 

Edited by EUChristian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Hooray, the top is level so i can easily calibrate it.

DSCN7970.JPG

:confused1: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

:confused1: 

BUbble level works on my 18L. I checked and the top of the s18 is aligned with the pedals for being flat. Win win... Cuz some of us don't care to muck with app and bullshit when a simple puddle of colored water in plastic will suffice.

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve decided to recruit this airbrush artist to create a Terminator theme (photo is a concept)  on the sides of my S18. This gifted guy is one of top artists in our area and has painted some of my cranial remolding bands in the past.

Totally sick and one sure fire way to be worried about your wheel. DO you want to enjoy it or admire it? Put that shit on a helmet, as its less likely to hit the ground as often? I havent dropped my wheel yet, but ive also not been riding it. It does manage pot holes really well. Just like they say, it kinda knocks the sharpness off the road. But, i hit a bump, it sounds like the damn thing is going to fall apart.. 

Kudos for patroning local artists! I love the design, but damn I would cry when you drop it, or hesitate because you're scared to. Make sure he's aware that its a rubberized surface he's painting on.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gustesta said:

 

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc. Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique. The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage. Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell. I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me. I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

 

 

Yikes! What a shot....glad you're ok, head looked like it bounced off the sidewalk, hat must have cushioned it just enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, keetz said:

MTen3 is my first wheel and I've been learning on it the last few months... switching to S18 is definitely challenging since I'm used to this tiny thing that's so nimble in comparison.

I'm running into an issue riding the S18 though... I try to get my feet into the ankle cutouts but when I do it causes my knees to awkwardly bend outward because the top of the wheel is wider than the where my feet fit into the ankle cutouts... it's causing some pain in my knees.

I tried a wider stance moving my feet out of the cutouts but I still feel some pain.  Anyone else running into this?  I might just be novice with larger wheels... I don't know.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Its just a difference in wheels is all. My mten had very angled pedals and put pressure on my knees/hips. I changed them to more level. My 18L has a level stance and it seems normal to me. The s18 feels VERY similar to the 18L. I hopped on my s18 and felt right at home, as I've a few miles on the other 18 nowadays. IF you learned on an mten, you have probably adopted a posture that makes its width and pedal angle comfortable for you. I'd imagine that it wasnt so comfy when you first began. NOW, you are stepping into a different angle and width. I dont know if its more ergonomic or not for you, but your old comfy stance (that you conditioned for) on the mten, isnt so comfy on the bigger wheels. I'd imagine if you just keep riding both, you will condition yourself for either in the end. I wimped out and modified my mten to accommodate the similar stance of the larger, as thats what I ride for longer periods. The mten is kind of a class of it's own. It took me a while to get comfy on it, as I started on a bigger wheel. Yours is reverse and perfectly normal to hear.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gustesta said:

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances, lack of concentration (I was paying attention to the drone), bad tire psi etc. Also it was the ski season and I tend to change my stance technique. The Nikola is a tank and there wasn't any inside damage. Wheel is working perfectly and I had to change the right shell. I wasn't using any protection gear and nothing happened to me. I always use it, but that day I was just testing the drone... It's always like that!

This video should be viewed by everyone who is a beginner rider or who is planning on picking up EUC as a hobby / means of transportation. It reinforces a couple of very important things.

1. Never ever ride without a helmet! The force with which this rider hit his head on the pavement could easily lead to death or cripple you for life

2. Gear up! Especially if you plan on riding 20+ mph. I personally wear a "full body armor vest" that protects my ribs, spine, elbows, shoulders, clavicle. I know this is overkill, but it can/will save you from serious harm when a fall like this happens (and it can happen to the best of us).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gustesta said:

EUC oscillation accident - not the wheel's fault - Nikola 100v 1230 - my bad stances,

looks like legs are not touching the shell.

bumps tend to cause wobbles, which otherwise would be dampened by the muscle touching the shell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FinRider said:

This video should be viewed by everyone who is a beginner rider or who is planning on picking up EUC as a hobby / means of transportation. It reinforces a couple of very important things.

1. Never ever ride without a helmet! The force with which this rider hit his head on the pavement could easily lead to death or cripple you for life

2. Gear up! Especially if you plan on riding 20+ mph. I personally wear a "full body armor vest" that protects my ribs, spine, elbows, shoulders, clavicle. I know this is overkill, but it can/will save you from serious harm when a fall like this happens (and it can happen to the best of us).

thats one thing.. "gear" :P just makes me want to wear a large backpack seen a few videos of people being saved by them now haha, get two cheap backpacks and put a pillow in each, one on your back and one in front and youll be bulletproof

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FinRider said:

.

1. Never ever ride without a helmet! The force with which this rider hit his head on the pavement could easily lead to death or cripple you for life

2. Gear up! Especially if you plan on riding 20+ mph. I personally wear a "full body armor vest" that protects my ribs, spine, elbows, shoulders, clavicle. I know this is overkill, but it can/will save you from serious harm when a fall like this happens (and it can happen to the best of us).

Good points and i dont think a full body armour vest is overkill.

The speed wobbles can affect even the best riders /experienced riders,thats why everyone should gear up!Martys wobbles are one to have a look at as well!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FinRider said:

Never ever ride without a helmet! The force with which this rider hit his head on the pavement could easily lead to death or cripple you for life

No offense but he fell like a sack of potatoes. No skater or anyone who did extreme sports falls like that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't quite follow the thread anymore, too much OT.

But am I the only one who asks the question if this air pressure table has been revised, after they found out that the shock can be inflated better if the damper is completely compressed and then blocked? In my opinion, 2 tables should exist. One for inflation with compressed shock and one in normal condition. Or do you think that 150psi when the damper is compressed will still be 150psi when the block is removed afterwards?
I have never heard of filling an air shock with the damper fully compressed. :confused1:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Its just a difference in wheels is all. My mten had very angled pedals and put pressure on my knees/hips. I changed them to more level. My 18L has a level stance and it seems normal to me. The s18 feels VERY similar to the 18L. I hopped on my s18 and felt right at home, as I've a few miles on the other 18 nowadays. IF you learned on an mten, you have probably adopted a posture that makes its width and pedal angle comfortable for you. I'd imagine that it wasnt so comfy when you first began. NOW, you are stepping into a different angle and width. I dont know if its more ergonomic or not for you, but your old comfy stance (that you conditioned for) on the mten, isnt so comfy on the bigger wheels. I'd imagine if you just keep riding both, you will condition yourself for either in the end. I wimped out and modified my mten to accommodate the similar stance of the larger, as thats what I ride for longer periods. The mten is kind of a class of it's own. It took me a while to get comfy on it, as I started on a bigger wheel. Yours is reverse and perfectly normal to hear.

This is really helpful insight, thank you. 

It's true, the mten hurt my feet when I was first learning, but that went away with time.  I don't have any foot pain with the S18 and it sounds like this knee pain will pass with time as well as I get conditioned for it as you say.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, eve said:

No offense but he fell like a sack of potatoes. No skater or anyone who did extreme sports falls like that. 

I'm the rider and I'm ok with your comment (don't worry).  Just want to let you know I'm an experienced rider and do other extreme sports.  Have you ever had a wobble on that speed?  Unfortunately those wobbles eject you from the wheel (it's really different than a nosedive).  My instinct was to jump backwards.  And check how fast it all happened.

2 hours ago, B08AH said:

looks like legs are not touching the shell.

bumps tend to cause wobbles, which otherwise would be dampened by the muscle touching the shell

You're right, my stance was really bad and the primary cause of the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Gustesta said:

...have you ever had a wobble on that speed?  Unfortunately those wobbles eject you from the wheel (it's really different than a nosedive).  My instinct was to jump backwards.  And check how fast it all happened.

In motorcycling spiel, we call that a tank slapper. Its mainly caused by front wheel landing or hitting an object at an awkward angle at speed causing the wheel to oscillate side to side (ie. tank slapper) which if uncontrolled, usually leads to a highside where the rider is thrown off the bike. Sounds familiar?😅

Didn't know that phenomenon occurs on monowheels as well. That's why on bikes, we usually install a steering damper to alleviate (but not totally eliminate) this problem. No dampers on EUCs though.

Edited by Scottie888

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...