King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

1 hour ago, EUChristian said:

Big question I have that I haven’t seen in videos. Can you carve on this thing well?  Or does pedal height, suspension and/or the weight distribution of the S-18 make it more difficult or impossible to carve?

I used to think it was foolish to carve vs just riding forward (why waste the energy?) but now it’s basically all I do. Like skiing on cement. 

anyone have feedback on this?

I’d bet a considerable amount of money that you can just fine. Carving on the 16X is a dream and I’m sure it will be the same on the S18

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Patton250 said:

I’d bet a considerable amount of money that you can just fine. Carving on the 16X is a dream and I’m sure it will be the same on the S18

I’m hoping that extra “push” I do out of the corner itself will translate to a “spring” out of the gate on each turn...that would be awesome and give even more torque out of the turn. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fbhb said:

The Finished production King Song S18 in Black with the New Grey "Thicker" Pads fitted looks sweet IMHO!  Think I'll have to be getting it in BLACK!

I really like the splash of the Grey colour on the "Textured" pads, which compliments the Grey finish on the New "Steel" slider tubes!

108852368_1901132813357134_4699237940519

She is a sexy beast! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, fbhb said:

The Finished production King Song S18 in Black with the New Grey "Thicker" Pads fitted looks sweet IMHO!  Think I'll have to be getting it in BLACK!

I really like the splash of the Grey colour on the "Textured" pads, which compliments the Grey finish on the New "Steel" slider tubes!

108852368_1901132813357134_4699237940519

I do not like the grey pads. If the suspension tubes were the same shade of grey maybe I would have considered it. But to me (and I understand that beauty is in the eye of the bee(r)holder) this wheel does not look good. I think there are too many different colors: the aluminum of the rim, matte black, dark grey, light grey, and then boom! a splash of gold...

The problem is you cannot paint the pads either (I think paint would not stick to them) -- best case scenario I would have to buy the black pads separately (the ones that will supposedly come with the white model), but that's extra $$, so not cool.

I pre-ordered the matte black thinking the wheel would be all black; these grey pads really made me reconsider my choice -- I may cancel this order and switch to white, but that means I may have to wait longer to receive it...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

I do not like the grey pads. If the suspension tubes were the same shade of grey maybe I would have considered it. But to me (and I understand that beauty is in the eye of the bee(r)holder) this wheel does not look good. I think there are too many different colors: the aluminum of the rim, matte black, dark grey, light grey, and then boom! a splash of gold...

Agreed. It's a bit of a mess. The wheel rim, vertical suspension slider tubes (which are ever so slightly green), and pads don't match one another. Then there's the gratuitous orange.

The ID people I work with would either puke or laugh if they saw this.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

The problem is you cannot paint the pads either (I think paint would not stick to them) -- best case scenario I would have to buy the black pads separately (the ones that will supposedly come with the white model), but that's extra $$, so not cool.

I pre-ordered the matte black thinking the wheel would be all black; these grey pads really made me reconsider my choice -- I may cancel this order and switch to white, but that means I may have to wait longer to receive it...

Sorry that you are not a fan of the Grey pads, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  However, don't get your hopes up thinking the pads are going to be Black on the White S18's, as I'm pretty confident they will be the very same Grey pads you see fitted to the Black S18. 

If you look at the King Song website/Final production Changes, even the recent render's showed the White S18 with Grey instead of the original Black pads, since the change to a different material and increased thickness was announced!

106719855_2660986734124289_3293775425149

Edited by fbhb

8 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

I'd prefer this.

Not too much of a problem to strip out and paint for a man of your talents, I'm sure many buyers that prefer the Silver "pre-production look" will be doing do that simple mod!

By the way, there is an "S18 Strip Down video" due out from King Song in the very near future!!!

Edited by fbhb

2 minutes ago, fbhb said:

Not too much of a problem to strip out and paint for a man of your talents, I'm sure many buyers that prefer the Silver "pre-production look" will be doing do that simple mod!

By the way, there is an "S18 Strip Down video" due out from King Song in the very near future!!!

I painted the rim too, and matched the suspension slider too. That's a full disassembly job.

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

I painted the rim too, and matched the suspension slider too. That's a full disassembly job.

The work involved to take the motor out is not that huge a job and tyre changes etc. will not take anywhere near as long as some of the traditional EUC's encased within a plastic shell!  

@Afeez Kay has already stripped out the motor to paint the rim Black on his pre-production S18, which made a huge improvement (photos were posted earlier in this thread).  But, granted, to also paint the suspension slider would be a much more involved strip down.

With the new ugly Grey coating on the steel suspension tubes, they should have left the suspension linkage frame silver. The gold just really looks out of place now.  The new grey pads though I think help hide the grey suspension tubes there was a hard contrast division before.  Still, if you wanted stealth black this is not it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

With the new ugly Grey coating on the steel suspension tubes, they should have left the suspension linkage frame silver. The gold just really looks out of place now.  The new grey pads though I think help hide the grey suspension tubes there was a hard contrast division before.  Still, if you wanted stealth black this is not it.

I have to agree although it’s not too bad to me. I will be breaking it down and painting the rim black...will see about “gold” suspension brackets. I assume since they move the joints will wear off the paint over the course of a ride?

29 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

I have to agree although it’s not too bad to me. I will be breaking it down and painting the rim black...will see about “gold” suspension brackets. I assume since they move the joints will wear off the paint over the course of a ride?

One would hope that the pivot/wear points are isolated to the bushings. If the gold gets worn off in a visible locale, I'd say it was design flaw or clearance issue. Hell, I dont know. I'm going to focus on riding the damn thing, i dont care what it looks like. Honestly, the first scratches and damage is welcome, as then I wont have to worry over the small bullshit that comes with such a new looking item. You guys make me feel really good about myself. To think, I was worried about my own OCD. Hah, I aint got shit on some of you guys. I WILL be waiting to see who finds a decent knobby tire to fit it tho!

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Meulebeest said:

Price KS S18: USD 1900 (about 1675 EUR),  which logically includes import taxes (goods from China), sales effort, support, mark-up, ...

In Europe you have a lot of fragmented ("official") resellers (smaller scale I guess):
Price KS S18: +/- 2250 EUR (about 2540 USD), which also should include similar price-structure and services.

Well, isn't it in part because of the weird US taxation? The price in Europe is final, but from my brief visits of the other side of the pond, the pricetag was almost never what I paid, because it was without VAT. I pay 21% VAT where I live, so after removing that, you get +/- 2000 USD. Which is a bit higher than the US price. But I also have a feeling that in the USA, there is only one year warranty on most of the things. I have two years, which would make up for the USD 100.

So it looks to me as no big deal - at the end of the day, we pay about the same, just in different columns and at slightly different time. Of course, if someone has the ability to avoid VAT...

16 minutes ago, Zopper said:

we pay about the same, just in different columns and at slightly different time.

well, not quite

in Europe the S18 usually costs something like 2250 EUR, like @Meulebeest said. If we try Ali sellers (they don't advertise, but they sell nevertheless), the price is about USD 1900 (1675 EUR?). Chicway.shop goes even lower: USD 1700 (1580 EUR?).  Both of those examples include taxes and shipping to Europe.

-Z-

Edited by Zwheeler
name
  • Like 3

Personally I don't mind the black/grey look and like most things will probably look much better in person. The body panels should be easy enough to change so converting the S18 to white shouldn't be difficult. Since the panels do come off I would be more inclined to do a vinyl wrap on them, like 2080 Matrix Black which is my favorite. Maybe even something totally outrageous like gold carbon fiber. :w00t2: 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Zwheeler said:

well, not quite

in Europe the S18 usually costs something like 2250 EUR, like @Meulebeest said. If we try Ali sellers (they don't advertise, but they sell nevertheless), the price is about USD 1900 (1675 EUR?). Chicway.shop goes even lower: USD 1700 (1580 EUR?).  Both of those examples include taxes and shipping to Europe.

-Z-

Well, that might be possible. But aren't you without any real warranty then? And every time I bought something from China (Ali and similar), I always had to pay the 21% VAT on orders over ~$20 (customs checked it the moment it crossed the borders and didn't release it until the VAT was paid). It is changing recently, with Ali and other such portals building warehouses inside of EU, and paying the VAT when they bring it in, but items delivered from these warehouses costs a lot more than those directly from China.