King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Electromagnetic shocks are very new, but would be interesting for EUCs. They can have programmable force-displacement profiles, be electronically adjusted (user input or through some kind of control algorithm), and can regenerate power (instead of wasting it as heat). 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, B08AH said:

There is a lot of people who own smaller wheels like 16S or V10F or even 18L. Range and power did not motivate them enough to upgrade before, but active suspension might. 

That is all theorycrafting. Others do that, so i might as well craft smth up.

Anyway, Ecodrift told us that  there are 3+ times more S18 preorders than V11's. And S18 even surpassed the previous champion - 18L. Wondering what numbers the other dealers have.

That's interesting! Russia is a pretty off - roady place, seems like the place that an off-road dirt bike is pretty popular, so I can see how the S18 is appealing. 

That's a good point, this will be an upgrade for some people with smaller wheel. 

Guess it's all these people on this forum who are gotway or high end kingsong riders, that I'm a little skeptical about them adopting this as a daily EUC. 

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

I’ll bet the shocks turn out to be no big deal in the end. On all EUCs. 

I vehemently disagree. I’ll bet in the future all companies provide at least one suspension model. And if they get a new design that is more compact and can fit in batteries (hybrid of the V11 and S18 perhaps?) that almost all EUCs minus cheap ones come with mere basics will have suspension. 

you must live somewhere with beautiful roads...  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, B08AH said:

There is a lot of people who own smaller wheels like 16S or V10F or even 18L. Range and power did not motivate them enough to upgrade before, but active suspension might. 

That is all theorycrafting. Others do that, so i might as well craft smth up.

Anyway, Ecodrift told us that  there are 3+ times more S18 preorders than V11's. And S18 even surpassed the previous champion - 18L. Wondering what numbers the other dealers have.

You are spot on. I own a KS16 and a MTen3 and suspension hit that button for me. All this talk of battery life is a bit silly to me (reflecting on my personal situation). Most EUC riders do not commute regardless of what YouTube would lead you to believe. After 50 miles my legs would be toast. Add in heat and man would 50 miles suck. Instead I’ll take the pimp cushy ride for 30 miles instead...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, onizukagto said:

Guess it's all these people on this forum who are gotway or high end kingsong riders

I'm telling you, V8 is the most successful wheel ever. 16S is not far behind. After S18 (spoiler alert) KS is going to make a smaller wheel aiming at that segment. Hope they still find time to make that SXL though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

I vehemently disagree. I’ll bet in the future all companies provide at least one suspension model. And if they get a new design that is more compact and can fit in batteries (hybrid of the V11 and S18 perhaps?) that almost all EUCs minus cheap ones come with mere basics will have suspension. 

you must live somewhere with beautiful roads...  

To be honest I hope you are right and I am wrong. I just bet they prove to be superfluous in the end to what were using these things for. But believe me I hope I’m wrong because on the surface they seem very cool. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

that almost all EUCs minus cheap ones come with mere basics will have suspension

And it is not like it never happened before, all bicycles have suspension but the cheapest(or specialized) ones, all e-scooters have suspension but the cheapest ones. It is long overdue for EUCs to get suspension.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, onizukagto said:

Put it this way, people will definitely attempt to prove me wrong because I made this statement, but in the reality I'm almost certain those who Fe buying an S18, will immediately sell all their other EUC and use the S18 exclusively. 

I don't see it as a complete package, I can't see how a gotway rider is willing to abandon all the thrills and danger for the S18. 

Nor do I believe an 16X rider will abandon the torque and range just for the S18. 

Of course there will always be exceptions and that's fine. I'll be interested to see how those few examples makes the S18, the perfect EUC for them. 

I think you for got the word "won't" in there somewhere, but I understand what you are saying.  

Sure that will be one of the most frequent outcomes for people buying this as a second wheel if they own those you mentioned..  But there are lots of new riders buying wheels, there are maybe some V8 and V10 commuters that might just to the s18 as a commuter, there may be some 18S, 16S, 14D/14S users moving to the s18 if they use their wheels primarily for commuting.  I'm pretty sure many also bought the 16X because they didn't know what to buy, they might decide to go with the S18 if they are primarily commuters.  So lots of different scenarios than the hard-core users and enthusiasts on the forum.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

Electromagnetic shocks are very new, but would be interesting for EUCs. They can have programmable force-displacement profiles, be electronically adjusted (user input or through some kind of control algorithm), and can regenerate power (instead of wasting it as heat). 

I thought about them too, but I fear that they would be still consuming too much power (look at all the talk about range with suspension that doesn't consume anything), and would be probably too expensive (including patents). The last of I saw from Bose attempts to use it in cars, it is being used as top-class (and super expensive) suspension for driver seat in trucks.

It's quite elegant how KingSong has designed the S18 mainboard as a single piece which has charge plugs and tail lights all together on a single board.  It'd even contoured in a non-rectangular shape.  Quite nice!

• Like 2

I quite like that as well, no need for cables running around, it's super clean build! Though I suppose replacing damaged charge port or tail light becomes more expensive, unless you are reasonably experienced with soldering equipment.

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, FinRider said:

Can I give you my wifes phone number so you can call her and repeat this to her? She does not believe me when I try to say the exact same thing..

Its a shame you misplaced that Jar.... You know, the one that had your nuts in it. Tell your wife to give it back, as you're tired of her having them. :)

1 hour ago, ShanesPlanet said:

Luckily, my wife doesnt care AT ALL about my hobbies. As long as the bills  are paid, she'd rather not even hear about it. Hell, I got old toys down here that she still aint seen in years. She spends $$ on trips, I spend $$ on things that make memories LONG after tourist season is over.. 

Cool for you, but sounds like she is getting her frills elsewhere if you know what I mean ;) :o :D

FINALLY!! Chooch is demonstrating exactly what I was hoping to see. Maybe a little more rock climbing, but this is what I kind of expected when I saw the s18. Now back to waiting.... I foresee some Xgames type shit and multiple freestyle competitions coming in the near future...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2