King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

21 minutes ago, Planemo said:

Afeez stripped his and had it painted black himself if thats where any confusion comes in

Thank you!  That’s a future mod for me. Better to put my money into this than a car (and cheaper)

will be getting the panels dipped at some point too. 

5 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@mrelwood

Do you have any recommendations similar to the 666 that would be better for off road? I was hoping for a tire on this that wasn't geared entirely to street riding.

I should find one for myself as well (not for the S18 but in general), so I’ll have to start looking again. I’m actually looking for one that would hopefully have a bit rougher pattern than the H-666. We’ll see.

For now the CST C-1488 would already be a worthy upgrade for the S18.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, fbhb said:

I have to say, I'm really impressed with how this is the first wheel that is actually structurally built from an all metal skeleton frame.  Unlike everything else out there that has heavy batteries/motors etc. all hanging off flimsy plastic!  This wheel's build concept takes a New approach for EUC design which is an engineering feat IMHO and I can't wait to get mine!

The ninebot one c+(and I'm guessing the C, E, e+ and similar variations) has an internal metal frame with the plastic bolted to the metal.

https://www.xiaomitoday.com/xiaomi-ninebot-c-unicycle-for-just-299-99/

I think it's why the c+ is such a great beginner wheel because it can take such a beating, I don't think that metal part is directly bolted to the hub but instead is a reinforcement between the two plastic shells so King song may be taking it further 

image.png.5216e32ca313a4ac5bbb97a55191693a.png

These guys clearly demonstrated how kujipads work. 

Guy on the left jumps without grabbing onto the pads, guy on the right jumps properly, with the pads.

Btw Duf performed a range test for both V11 and S18, 

Spoiler

TLDR:   V11  33.5 miles, 36% remaining, 72.8V,     S18 34.8 miles, 34% remaining

• Like 2

@B08AH I saw that test! Because the V11 is heavier, the S18 can compete with its range. Although I do remember hearing the S18 would be heavier than it was first announced, so I don't know if Duf's original test with the S18 had been performed with the lighter version.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, B08AH said:

image.png.5216e32ca313a4ac5bbb97a55191693a.png

These guys clearly demonstrated how kujipads work. 

Guy on the left jumps without grabbing onto the pads, guy on the right jumps properly, with the pads.

Hide contents

TLDR:   V11  33.5 miles, 36% remaining, 72.8V,     S18 34.8 miles, 34% remaining

V11 also goes faster since speed reporting is true to scale, Kingsong is known to inflate speed and mileage by a factor of 10-20%, which explains the discrepancy. 

There were plenty of discussions on this forum about KS inflated speed reporting. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, B08AH said:

Reveal hidden contents

That's for the pre-production V11, so not that useful. :( The production one should have a bit more range because of better cells. There is also firmware optimisation and changes in V11, but KS could do the same for S18 without announcing it. But then the S18 is getting a bit heavier, so I consider it as almost sure that the final V11 will have more range. The question is: by how much. Someone in the V11 thread made a guess that the production V11 could have about 45% instead of 36%. And of course, we don't know exact speed profile of both rides and I still don't know which wheel I will end up with. :D

Edited by Zopper
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

V11 also goes faster since speed reporting is true to scale, Kingsong is known to inflate speed and mileage by a factor of 10-20%, which explains the discrepancy. 

There were plenty of discussions on this forum about KS inflated speed reporting.

He is using Garmin device on his wrist for both speed and distance. So those inflations would not affect his measurements even if they were true. And they are not. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Zopper said:

The production one should have a bit more range because of better cells.

1420 vs 1480. 4% higher capacity.

15 minutes ago, Zopper said:

And of course, we don't know exact speed profile of both rides

Except that we do. It is 18-20m/h for both rides.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zopper said:

Someone in the V11 thread made a guess that the production V11 could have about 45% instead of 36%.

Yeah, people keep pulling theories out in favor of V11.

It would be much easier to compare voltages, but unfortunately Duf only told V11's voltage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheBladeOfHades said:

The 2200 watt motor will also draw a bit more power in the production model.

i would like to know the average wh usage from anyone who has ridden it. 

only if you accelerate hard, if it draws more current at all. Chinese companies have a nasty little habit of changing numbers around without actually changing anything. 

I find it odd about the batteries though. I thought the V11 was going to have LG cells from day one, never knew they were going to have chinese cells at any point (chinese 18650s is dealbreaking for me). 

2 hours ago, EUChristian said:

I agree with you minus your absurd statement that this test is akin to a “licked finger in the wind”. No it isn’t. It’s not perfect but it’s not a guess either. 

Once you try to get the test “perfectly just” you will fail because there is no way to do a perfect test on a wheel. First one being - does the road look flat or is proven 100% flat?  Second being altitude. Can’t factor that out either. 

I don’t ride a wheel in a science lab I ride on the road and this real world data from Duf is good enough for me. 

As @mrelwood stated just above this reply, percentages do not dictate real world range at all, the only way to do a proper range comparison is to run these wheels dead at an equivalent speed on the same road. @Marty Backe does his tests properly as reasonably allowable. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

only if you accelerate hard, if it draws more current at all.

Not even hard acceleration would cause more consumption as it would work at peak power  anyway. It’s really very difficult to come up with a scenario where motor power rating would have anything to do with consumption.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, FreeRide said:

This is what I’m talking about. 

as mentioned in the comments of the video - he should have gotten the wheel first or close to it...

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FreeRide said:

Noice! 

I like chooch honest opinion, he's more of a veteran bloke, but the S18 hits all the right places for looks and off-roading, it fits his niche to the tee.

If you got the means, definitely one to add to the collection. 

Also have to look up this Jimmy Chang bloke... Never heard of him. But cool how all the EUC youtuber are helping each other to review the shiny new stuff! :w00t2:

Ya ewheels needs to send the wheels to Marty and Chooch first, then the NY guys can beat them up and show off if they want.  Ideally wheels would go to Kuji, West Coast US, East Coast US, Russia, Poland, UK, France, etc,  all at the same time. 

1 hour ago, FreeRide said:

Ya ewheels needs to send the wheels to Marty and Chooch first, then the NY guys can beat them up and show off if they want.  Ideally wheels would go to Kuji, West Coast US, East Coast US, Russia, Poland, UK, France, etc,  all at the same time. 

Don't forget, I should get mine first too, as im super dooper special...:w00t2:

• Like 3