King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

KS wheels are so flawless that they now dedicate development resources to region locking?  No thanks, I don't pay for anti-consumer technology.

1 hour ago, xorbe said:

KS wheels are so flawless that they now dedicate development resources to region locking?  No thanks, I don't pay for anti-consumer technology.

But they employ this guy...

44F48A98-6C70-4A9E-B4B0-F441C78C484C.jpeg

Edited by EUChristian

Kingsong - please upgrade to a pro version unlockable in app (put warning and double click or firmware upgrade, whatever)...35MPH to 50% battery power...come on and code this. That’s huge. 

I’d take it for a little bit rather than not have it at all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, xorbe said:

From the linked topic it looks just like a glitch. KS didn’t intend to lock anything or so they say.

Put my preorder back in. They’ve acknowledged the flaws and offered acceptable fixes on paper. Not looking for perfection on the first rendition just trust the thing isn’t a ticking time bomb. Enough of us are buying to get our feedback into action and I’ll take that. 

watching people leap 6”-12” off the ground from a flat road did it for me. Kingsong you are clever... I’m in

Edited by EUChristian
  • Like 1

I still want swappable batteries.  My off road rides are mostly under 10 miles.  I can use my DeWalt chain saw ALL DAY while swapping little 2AN bats.  Why make an EUC rider pay for and carry EXTRA WEIGHT for LIMITED RANGE?  Swappable bats provide minimum weight with UNLIMITED RANGE (carry or trade for fully charged bats with friends along the way). 

Same goes for any wheel. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Don't like the gold X frame. I know gold is very popular in China, but I think fake gold, and gratuitous gold (like gold logos and model names on cars) just look tacky. 

What about fake carbon fiber? :D 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Elliott Reitz said:

I still want swappable batteries.  My off road rides are mostly under 10 miles.  I can use my DeWalt chain saw ALL DAY while swapping little 2AN bats.  Why make an EUC rider pay for and carry EXTRA WEIGHT for LIMITED RANGE?  Swappable bats provide minimum weight with UNLIMITED RANGE (carry or trade for fully charged bats with friends along the way). 

Same goes for any wheel. 

I think it's just hard to do on what's currently on offer, and will only appeal to a small market.

You need to have quick release systems for all the panels, a charging system for the separate battery packs (some wheels might have packs in series connected to packs in parallel, which means that the packs in series when charged separately need a different voltage charger), and then there is the issue of sparking/power surges if you connect battery packs with big voltage differences together.

Can't really be compared to swapping out a 14.4 or 18V battery on an electric cordless drill.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

Final tire fitment is Chao Yang H-5102, as unfortunately the H-666 is no longer produced with not enough supply left for mass production!

The only tire I have seen on an S18 other than the H5102 was the H587. Do we know why they stopped using it? It does look like the 587 comes up big for its size...did KS have rubbing problems?

I think the gold linkages look awesome...very Ducati-esqe

6 minutes ago, Planemo said:

The only tire I have seen on an S18 other than the H5102 was the H587. Do we know why they stopped using it? It does look like the 587 comes up big for its size...did KS have rubbing problems?

I think the gold linkages look awesome...very Ducati-esqe

Yeah, they sent out the preproduction units with the H587, and several reviewers found them to have rubbing issues.

And I like the gold linkages too. Now it just needs the red battery enclosures like the prototype 😀

• Like 2

Ah OK. Yeah it deffo comes up big, bit like how the Nikola tyre (cant remember the model ref now) looks a lot bigger than the msx 5102 despite it being the same marked width. I have a 3" H587 that I was thinking of putting on my msx but I am a bit worried about it rubbing.

@Planemo ironically, both the KS18 & the V11 were due to have the Chao Yang H-666 as final fitment, before the supply issue was announced.  When Kuji first got his pre-production S18, he posted the photo below showing both wheels with the H-666 fitted.

@mrelwood highly rates this tire as the best compromise for both road and street, so both manufacturers were initially listing it as the final production tire on that basis. It is still not clear whether this tire will have sufficient clearance since the final production changes were made to the S18 to address the rubbing issues, but I did read somewhere that the H-666 was also rubbing on the V11, as it also comes up bigger than the H-5102!

2016038564_V11S18sidebyside!.thumb.jpg.d

Edited by fbhb

4 hours ago, fbhb said:

@Planemo ironically, both the KS18 & the V11 were due to have the Chao Yang H-666 as final fitment, before the supply issue was announced.  When Kuji first got his pre-production S18, he posted the photo below showing both wheels with the H-666 fitted.

@mrelwood highly rates this tire as the best compromise for both road and street, so both manufacturers were initially listing it as the final production tire on that basis. It is still not clear whether this tire will have sufficient clearance since the final production changes were made to the S18 to address the rubbing issues, but I did read somewhere that the H-666 was also rubbing on the V11, as it also comes up bigger than the H-5102!

Seems weird that KS fitted not only the 666, but also the 587 and now the 5102!

The 5102 is certainly the skinniest of the 3" tyres I have seen so I can see why they have had to fall back on it but as has been said, you would think KS would build in enough tolerance to fit any 3" tyre.

Personally I prefer full on road tyres like the 5102 but I think I would be a bit annoyed at not being able to fit a 666 (or eqivalent) were I a hardcore off roader.

I will probably end up fitting my new 587 to the msx just to see what its like. I am sure it will be better off road but I really dont want to lose any on-road grip. I am fairly sure it will rub too. Maybe I can shave it down a la mrelwood.!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Don't like the gold X frame. I know gold is very popular in China, but I think fake gold, and gratuitous gold (like gold logos and model names on cars) just look tacky. 

Good thing this doesn’t look like gold at all. Both fake gold and gratuitous gold look nothing like this either. If anything this looks like a light bronze/darker tan. 

and I think it looks much better with the black matte than the silver. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, EUChristian said:

Did I read correctly somewhere that the final rim of black or did I make that up?

Afeez stripped his and had it painted black himself if thats where any confusion comes in

• Like 2