King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Yes, that contains the motor phase wires. I'm doubtful abrasions by one's foot will do much to the metal shielding, though. It is exposed, but mostly recessed. We'll see with time, though, I suppose 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Sorry for the question.. .. you all talk a lot of this cutout/cutoff at max speed.

You mean that it is possible that the weel shut down if taken at his limit? (without firmware changings I mean). Can anyone give me a fast explaination why this even exist?

I ask this because for now I got a ninebot s2 (waiting for the S18) and when I reach the top speed it simply tilt back with an acustic alarm. Thought it was like this on all wheels.

On 6/17/2020 at 7:38 PM, Jj Luo said:
This is the response I got from Ewheels.
"We do have a 780Wh King Song battery bank in stock, which if used with the S18 would get you up to 1890Wh, for $650. It would be carried in a backpack and trickle charge the main batteries.
(...)

Hi,

I already have such an external 84V battery in a backpack, which I use sometimes for longer trips with my wheel (Gotway MSX), just plugging it (with basic precautions) in its charging port.

Any chance to be able to use it in the same and easy way with a KS-S18...?

• Like 1

Too bad if they stop producing the H666 as it seems to be the better EUC street tyre. I hope it’s for replacing it with something better.

In the meantime I’ll have to order one for my (upcoming) Sherman before they run out.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steef Klonoa said:

@Afeez Kay were the white panels easy to remove? How about those black panels that are visible now with the black fins on them, do you think they can be easily replaced if they get broken? Thanks Afeez.

The white panels are somewhat easy to remove. There are screws holding them in place. The black fins look spectacular btw.. but I imagine dropping them won’t be easy to fix. I haven’t done that yet, so fingers crossed 🤞 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ShanesPlanet said:

I like the approach as well. But.... this small detail is NOT going to make an ounce of difference in a legal sense or to protect the company should someone lawyer up after an incident. Im not trying to be overly negative, but it seems a little bit of a risk on the part of Inno. If the wheel can safely do 35mph, why must they slow it down for the general public? Is 30mph some magic number in legislation? Hitting a little 'accept the risk' button on an update that makes it faster, wont absolve the company of their liability. If 35mph is safe enough, why not just unlock the wheel for everyone? Maybe it IS plenty safe and this is yet another marketing tactic. They can appease the 'safe' crowd while also tossing the 'risky' crowd a bone...  All while knowing that its just a big gimmick? I'm all for faster wheels as long as they can safely do so. Inno is upping the game a bit and this can be a great thing for some. As far as making the wheel slow enough that you don't maim yourself, this is already a feature of nearly every current wheel on the market, via tiltback and alarm speeds. Oddly, my worst injury to date was at 2mph on an mten.... go figure.

I like this approach too. A special unlockable pro version. Folks there still is a safety margin, it just changes the algorithm on how the wheel reacts to battery changes over time (changes throttling structure). 

I’m not trying to ride at 35, I’m trying to ride at 30 with headroom which is in fact safe. 

I cannot imagine the fix could be that expensive. A couple days worth of labor for their coder?  Maybe at max two weeks?  It’s a powerful motor it can handle it. 

3 hours ago, Steven89 said:

Sorry for the question.. .. you all talk a lot of this cutout/cutoff at max speed.

You mean that it is possible that the weel shut down if taken at his limit? (without firmware changings I mean). Can anyone give me a fast explaination why this even exist?

I ask this because for now I got a ninebot s2 (waiting for the S18) and when I reach the top speed it simply tilt back with an acustic alarm. Thought it was like this on all wheels.

This is a rare event now. Used to be much more prone to these before tech caught up. Yes tilt back will kick you back but some wheels you can disable and some you can’t. I can easily feel tilt back in my KS16.  

All I want to see is this thing take a tumbling high speed event in stride. I have this nightmare scenario in my head where I’ve fallen off the wheel and it’s rolling down a hill like a coin rolling off a table top throwing panels as far as the eye can see. 

glad to see they increased the clip thickness 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, fbhb said:

Body shell: Some users experienced the case not being durable enough when crashing. We started using a material with more flexibility causing it to be less brittle. ABS+PC.

Outer shells popping off: Users experienced the white body panels coming off when crashing, we have increased the thickness of the clips so they don’t come off as easily.

Handle: Sometimes the trigger button gets stuck, we’ve added a crystal silicon logo above the button to create a uniform force downwards.

Steel Slide: To increase the durability of our suspension we have changed the sliders from aluminum to steel. The steel is treated to protect it against elements.

Suspension support frame: Suspension support frame is changed from space grey to gold.

Ah, a little bit more detailed than the eWheels announcement. So they apparently did change the material for the shell, I wasn't sure if it was a change, or just a statement of what material is being used. The thicker clips should be a good thing, I hope.

That silicone logo above the button probably will indeed make the button easier to press. The eWheels announcement just said crystal silicone compound, and I had no idea what that meant, LOL

Neat detail on what was actually changed to steel. I first thought it was related to the slide portion of the mechanism, but then people started talking about the x frame... Seems that got lost in translation. Good to see it clarified.

And gold x frame again! Can uh, we get the battery housings in red like the prototype, too? :P

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, fbhb said:

King Song has announced the changes to be made for the final production run of the KS S18 and can be found on Rev Rides web site.  So King Song has been listening to all the feedback from the pre-production demo S18's sent out to YouTubers/Influencers etc. and addressed the issues

Still don't see more battery added. :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, fryman said:

Still don't see more battery added. :)

5 hours ago, Nifrigel said:

More battery = more weight, I don't want more battery. S18 XL later maybe? But they need to launch S18 first.

I'm sure everyone would love for the S18 to have a larger battery capacity/greater range myself included, but all these requests for an S18 XL are most likely pointless in this current design, it's just not going to happen!  IMHO King Song will be unable to fit any more cells to the S18 without making the wheel considerably wider/compromising handling/redesigning etc., as there is plain and simply NO available space for more battery!!!

It can be seen in the photo below that the design of the wheel meant having to split the battery into Four compartments, one tall and one short per side,  which was necessary to allow all the room that the more complex suspension system requires.  Any additional cells would need to be added in those four areas to maintain the wheels COG/balanced handling, but as there is no available space height-wise cells could only be added to the side of each pack thus losing the wheels slim profile/sculpted lines. 

I feel sure that King Song knowingly made this compromise with the 1100wh pack due to only having just enough space available, rather than some peoples notion that they are keeping a larger battery version waiting in the wings! 

I'm buying it as is, there is no point waiting in the hope it will magically grow more cells!:clap3:

S18 Battery view.jpg

Edited by fbhb
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tinkererboi said:

Ya'll are missing out the fact that we are witnessing the the biggest leap in EUC technology so far... LOCKTITE!!

20200702_225001.jpg.9495824b1f3157c865bf1a38914219e0.jpg

Better than glue😂

• Like 3

On 7/1/2020 at 5:59 AM, sbouju said:

Hi,

I already have such an external 84V battery in a backpack, which I use sometimes for longer trips with my wheel (Gotway MSX), just plugging it (with basic precautions) in its charging port.

Any chance to be able to use it in the same and easy way with a KS-S18...?

If it is 84 volts as you have said, you would just need an adapter to get from GW 84 volt pin out to the KS18 84 volt Lenovo plug. It should work in the same way that it works for the MSX. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

If it is 84 volts as you have said, you would just need an adapter to get from GW 84 volt pin out to the KS18 84 volt Lenovo plug. It should work in the same way that it works for the MSX. 

Good news! Thank you... :)

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

There has been differences in the wheel behaviour with different firmware versions while charging. At some point I think the motor even disengaged when plugging in the charger. GW doesn't know or care, but KS behaviour would be best checked before purchasing anything.

By the way, as a reminder to everybody: Don't buy a KingSong wheel from unauthorized dealers, such as Aliexpress, Chickway, Banggood and what have you. The dark gloom of possible remote locking or limiting the top speed still long after purchasing the wheel is still there:

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

There has been differences in the wheel behaviour with different firmware versions while charging. At some point I think the motor even disengaged when plugging in the charger. GW doesn't know or care, but KS behaviour would be best checked before purchasing anything.

Is that new? The Kingsong s18 is advertised to have the ability to charge on the go on eWheels website. 

• Like 1