King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Yes I installed the upgraded DNM version ADY-38RC that contains only an upper pressure valve.

Prior to my complete tear down the previous 36RC never contacted the fender nub. Wished I could offer more assistance but without @AlexIsTheBest’s wheel in hand it’s difficult to analyze the problem.

Hopefully round 3 solves all of the current issues because the S18 is an amazing wheel. 

I have finally gotten my S18 in working order and it is awesome! Although this is my first wheel so I’d probably think anything is awesome. I do really like how the suspension works but I can’t comment on how it feels since I don’t have anything to compare it to, suspension wheel or otherwise. If I may, it feels “cushioned”. HOWEVER, what a pile of trash the production model of the S18 is. King Song has some serious assembly problems at the factory and if you aren’t handy you’re in for a broken S18 either now or later (if it’s of the same build quality or early October batch as mine was). It’s been said and as a 2 grand paying customer I must say again. Perhaps if I’d gotten a better response from the dealer or from KS my attitude would be different but I felt like just another customer (which I partly understand due to high volume sales but wtf man it’s $2000!!!) 

I ended up just shaving off that screw nub. I was very tired of fixing things on this project and ready to chop things off.

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 6:29 AM, RockyTop said:

@Mac Do you notice a difference in pedal dip? With 2.06 the faster I go the more the front dips. Also it seems to try to help me brake. ..... Just for the record I hate both of those features. I would rather be the one doing the driving. I never know what the thing is doing. Very unnerving. :furious:

As a reference, I like the Gotway hard settings. You can take the boy off the Gotway but you can’t take the GotWay expectations out of the boy.:rolleyes:

Hi Rocky,  2.06 seems to be softer to me. I need to build some power pads for the S-18 using 2.05 and 2.06 both need help with acceleration and breaking. Not sure what the difference is Now that I’ve ridden a few miles on 2.06 again I’m goIng to ride 10-15 miles then revert it back to 2.05 tomorrow and see if I can put my finger on the differences. I ride different wheels and don’t really take note of how they compare. I’ve been riding the Mten-3 lately and it so different I’m just happy to be able to stay on it. We ride a lot off road and my 11 year old grandson tears it up. I got thrown off his Mten yesterday (soft grass) on a small hole that I wouldn’t have noticed on a larger wheel.. Fun to ride!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mac said:

Hi Rocky,  2.06 seems to be softer to me. I need to build some power pads for the S-18 using 2.05 and 2.06 both need help with acceleration and breaking. Not sure what the difference is Now that I’ve ridden a few miles on 2.06 again I’m goIng to ride 10-15 miles then revert it back to 2.05 tomorrow and see if I can put my finger on the differences. I ride different wheels and don’t really take note of how they compare. I’ve been riding the Mten-3 lately and it so different I’m just happy to be able to stay on it. We ride a lot off road and my 11 year old grandson tears it up. I got thrown off his Mten yesterday (soft grass) on a small hole that I wouldn’t have noticed on a larger wheel.. Fun to ride!

The biggest problem to me is that the wheel dips in the front more and more the faster I go. I know that they do that to make it seem like the wheel has more torque. In my case it has less torque because It makes me back off my aggressive style by 90%. I might have to go back to 2.02. Being able to pick and choose the part of each upgrade would be nice. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 1

I just tested 2.02 :w00t2: I like it much better. It feels like the 18XL. I can work with that. This software is not for the, “ I need more torque people.” It is for the “ Why does it feel like I am standing on the head of a drunk giraffe?” people. 

The only problem now is that the wheel basically acts dead in carry mode. I think I like it better than fall on your face when you forget to put the handle down mode. I might just turn the lift handle off completely. To me the firm ride and almost no pedal dip is worth it. 

On 11/4/2020 at 5:45 PM, Beachboy said:

Hei guys, lets say I wanna replace the tyre with bicycle tyre, is it just fit with 18x3” size? I am also considering with motorcycle tyre but not sure about the size..

A “2.75 - 14” motorcycle tire is generally a size that can replace an 18 x 3.0 bicycle tire, but the S18 fender is unusually tight, making most tires unsuitable, even if they would fit other 18 x 3.0 EUCs.

So unfortunately the S18 owners just have to gather their own list of tire models that fit (or doesn’t fit).

• Like 1

I’ve noticed my pedals don’t stay up due to the RollNZ cover. Has anyone figured out a fix for this or is it something simple and I’m just a dummy? Perhaps slot the screw holes in the pedal spring metal and slide it down a bit?

Also, it seems my handle is beginning to feel more and more “rattley” or loose. I suppose it’s something I’ll just have to fix someday or perhaps it will be fine.

Edited by AlexIsTheBest

On 11/5/2020 at 10:45 PM, RockyTop said:

The biggest problem to me is that the wheel dips in the front more and more the faster I go. I know that they do that to make it seem like the wheel has more torque. In my case it has less torque because It makes me back off my aggressive style by 90%. I might have to go back to 2.02. Being able to pick and choose the part of each upgrade would be nice. 

We have not made any changes, a lot of what you are experiencing is just placebo. 
Think about it this way: if we made changes to offer more torque why would we not publicly share that info? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack King Song said:

We have not made any changes, a lot of what you are experiencing is just placebo. 
Think about it this way: if we made changes to offer more torque why would we not publicly share that info? 

Placebo LOL ........  Not true, The motor now rumbles like a Gotway wheel and makes notable level corrections after heavy motions instead of acting all kinds of wonky. The intention may not have been torque but changes have been made. 

On 11/6/2020 at 4:08 PM, AlexIsTheBest said:

I’ve noticed my pedals don’t stay up due to the RollNZ cover. Has anyone figured out a fix for this or is it something simple and I’m just a dummy? Perhaps slot the screw holes in the pedal spring metal and slide it down a bit?

The S18 EUC Bodyguard should not prevent your pedals from staying up. 

Are you saying that with the cover on your pedals don't engage the pedal spring?

On 11/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, Rehab1 said:

Yes I installed the upgraded DNM version ADY-38RC that contains only an upper pressure valve.

Did you try riding with the 36 and if so, do you notice any difference?

If this was a proactive change, what were you expecting to be different?

2 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

The S18 EUC Bodyguard should not prevent your pedals from staying up. 

Are you saying that with the cover on your pedals don't engage the pedal spring?

Yep, they won’t stay up, they barely engage the spring. I followed the video guide to install the cover which was very well done!

At first I thought the set screw was supposed to give some resistance to the pedal movement and allow them to stay up but then I realized the purpose of the spring. The set screws were rather tight when I got the S18 but they loosened up quickly after some pedal movement. I now think that the set screws should not be tight to allow the pedals to move and only the spring should hold them up. I plan on putting some loc-tite on the set screws so they don’t fall out.

Have you tested the cover and pedals with the set screw slightly loosened (as it should be in my opinion because it will loosen eventually anyway)?

Edited by AlexIsTheBest

3 hours ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Have you tested the cover and pedals with the set screw slightly loosened (as it should be in my opinion because it will loosen eventually anyway)?

No, I haven't tried that - having loose screws will never end up well.

With your Bodyguard removed and your pedals up, what is the clearance between the pedal and the side panels? The pedal should be able to be raised and stay in position several mm from the panels - at least they do on every one of the wheels that I have checked...

1 hour ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

No, I haven't tried that - having loose screws will never end up well.

With your Bodyguard removed and your pedals up, what is the clearance between the pedal and the side panels? The pedal should be able to be raised and stay in position several mm from the panels - at least they do on every one of the wheels that I have checked...

Well yeah ok dude thanks for that wisdom but my point is the screws aren’t what are supposed to keep the pedals up, it’s the spring that is. The set screws are just to keep the pin in place. If I crank down the set screws, sure the pedal will stay in place but what’s the point of the spring then?

Also they seem to keep loosening up,  I suppose I should just crank them down and glue them in with loctite?

Edited by AlexIsTheBest
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Josephch said:

Has anyone ever had any ideas for seats for the s18? :rolleyes: I have ridden couple times sitting down on it but it doesn't feel like i should be sitting on it and it is very low. 

Sitting on any EUC is very low.  I'm 6'-3" and I find it very awkward and impractical. For shorter people I guess it's probably more ergonomic.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

Sitting on any EUC is very low.  I'm 6'-3" and I find it very awkward and impractical. For shorter people I guess it's probably more ergonomic.

Yeah...im 5'6" so its ok but still feels low. Main thing, the hardness of the upper cover really is uncomfortable. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Josephch said:

Yeah...im 5'6" so its ok but still feels low. Main thing, the hardness of the upper cover really is uncomfortable. 

The only EUC I ever attempted to sit on is the Sherman. (See the seat on it in my profile pic to the left)

2 hours ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Well yeah ok dude thanks for that wisdom but my point is the screws aren’t what are supposed to keep the pedals up, it’s the spring that is. The set screws are just to keep the pin in place. If I crank down the set screws, sure the pedal will stay in place but what’s the point of the spring then?

Also they seem to keep loosening up,  I suppose I should just crank them down and glue them in with loctite?

Oh, okay... I'm on the same page now.

So, without the set screws being tightened, do the springs hold your pedals up without the Bodyguard fitted?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Oh, okay... I'm on the same page now.

So, without the set screws being tightened, do the springs hold your pedals up without the Bodyguard fitted?

Yes but not very well, they seem to need that “assist” from the tightened set screw. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the cover, I quite like it. I’m just wondering if anyone else has approached this or if it is really even an issue (as I said, I could just tighten the set screws). As my adviser constantly tells me, I’m probably just overthinking it.

Edited by AlexIsTheBest
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Yes but not very well, they seem to need that “assist” from the tightened set screw. I don’t think there is anything wrong with the cover, I quite like it. I’m just wondering if anyone else has approached this or if it is really even an issue (as I said, I could just tighten the set screws). As my adviser constantly tells me, I’m probably just overthinking it.

FWIW... Having worked with EUC for the last 5+ years, it is (my) best practice to tighten the pedal set screws in every instance. If a screw ever "left the show" and the axle subsequently dropped one end, it would definitely not end well.

If this means the spring is there for an "assist" only, then I will still take that as a safe solution...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

FWIW... Having worked with EUC for the last 5+ years, it is (my) best practice to tighten the pedal set screws in every instance. If a screw ever "left the show" and the axle subsequently dropped one end, it would definitely not end well.

If this means the spring is there for an "assist" only, then I will still take that as a safe solution...

Well that’s all I need to know, will tighten set screw, thanks!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Well that’s all I need to know, will tighten set screw, thanks!

You may want to try these.  I switched mine because the spring/clip came loose in a few days and these stay nice and snug.  The seller also makes a cable protector and a nice stand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283981200650

Edited by c5flybyu
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, c5flybyu said:

You may want to try these.  I switched mine because the spring/clip came loose in a few days and these stay nice and snug.  The seller also makes a cable protector and a nice stand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283981200650

Thank you for the link, I just purchased some! I love all the 3D printer folks involved with the hobby.

• Like 1