King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

Took a tumble last night on my brand new s18. Uncontrollable wobbles started happening around mid 20s. Had about 20 miles under my belt. Sustain a big gash by my ankle other than that I was wearing all my gear. The s18 held up well as well. Cracked the metal in the back near the rear light housing. I had two Bose micro speakers attached to the sides. They ended up being good bumper guards since it took all the impact. 

will have to take it apart and investigate more later. 

325C6277-B272-405D-98C1-1844609938B6.jpeg

Edited by nycommuter69

2 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Took a tumble last night on my brand new s18. Uncontrollable wobbles started happening around mid 20s. Had about 20 miles under my belt. Sustain a big gash by my ankle other than that I was wearing all my gear. The s18 held up well as well. Cracked the metal in the back near the rear light housing. I had two Bose micro speakers attached to the sides. Those are hood bumper guards. 

Thanks for the info. Be careful of water getting in now. The control board is almost visible. 

14 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Took a tumble last night on my brand new s18. Uncontrollable wobbles started happening around mid 20s. Had about 20 miles under my belt. Sustain a big gash by my ankle other than that I was wearing all my gear. The s18 held up well as well. Cracked the metal in the back near the rear light housing. I had two Bose micro speakers attached to the sides. Those are hood bumper guards. 

OMG man, I hope you're OK.

Damn...I am really disappointed in the quality/design of that 'metal' plate and I am really afraid of what might happen if I drop this wheel during my mountain routes. My 18L fell on rocks, tumbled down hills, I even had to hit it with my foot kung-fu style to prevent it going down the mountain -- apart from a few scuffs and two metal plates reinforcing the inner case, it is intact. 

A wheel theoretically made for jumping and offroading should be able to withstand anything that you throw at it...

Stay safe and let us know if you are able to fix it...

Edit: @Jack King Song this is the second S18 I see with this type of damage... Any plans to replace that plate with a stronger material?

Edited by Purplecycle
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NastyFartPants said:

I disconnected the shock to give an idea of the suspension’s stiffness out of the box

Eww... that's pretty bad.  Are you going to go through the "suspension overhaul" thread and try some fixes?  I know there are ones that take less work than others.  I'm curious to see a before and after.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, nycommuter69 said:

Took a tumble last night on my brand new s18. Uncontrollable wobbles started happening around mid 20s. Had about 20 miles under my belt. Sustain a big gash by my ankle other than that I was wearing all my gear. The s18 held up well as well. Cracked the metal in the back near the rear light housing. I had two Bose micro speakers attached to the sides. They ended up being good bumper guards since it took all the impact. 

i got wobbles at 20mph as well. what i find is lower tire pressure and lower upper chamber pressure and the KSS18 gets more stable for me. 

34 minutes ago, the0r1st said:

i got wobbles at 20mph as well. what i find is lower tire pressure and lower upper chamber pressure and the KSS18 gets more stable for me. 

Thanks will have to try that. I think my PSI was close to 40. I didn't get those wobbles in the first 24 miles of my trip but then out of the blue.. just started going crazy, like a psycho date. Probably wobbled for about 3-5 seconds before finally bucking me off. 

Just emailed eWheels to see if they have that part in stock since my controller board is now exposed because of that crack. All in All, the S18 held up well with the crash. Slid a good 20 feet before coming to rest. There was a parked car on my right which I thankfully avoided hitting. 

1 hour ago, the0r1st said:

I also got the wobbles at higher speeds and i had to up the psi on the tires and it got better. I guess it has to do with your weight and balance? I am a newbie so can't say for sure. After i added some air into the tires the wobbles did go away somewhat. Sometimes when i do get slight wobbles, i use my inner knees and squeeze the S18 and it seems to help. 

Glad to hear your ok. Hopefully you can get the parts you need to get it back on the road safely.:thumbup:

I'm sure there are other factors, but since we're talking about tire pressures, here is my theory:

Higher tire pressures, tire has LESS contact to ground surface, MORE susceptible to wobbles.

Lower tire pressures, tire has MORE contact to ground surface, LESS susceptible to wobbles.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dsd317 said:

I'm sure there are other factors, but since we're talking about tire pressures, here is my theory:

Higher tire pressures, tire has LESS contact to ground surface, MORE susceptible to wobbles.

Lower tire pressures, tire has MORE contact to ground surface, LESS susceptible to wobbles.

I now have about 700 km on the S18. I had some wobbles in the beginning, especially under hard accelerating and braking.

What helped for me was two things.

1. wider stance. I started riding with my feet hugging the wheel, using the built in "kuji pads" as much as possible. I since moved to a wider stance so that my feet are not touching the wheel at all. This makes the Kuji pasds worthless to me, but ride stability has increased. Need to fabricate something here if I end up starting to need the grip down low.

2. Because of no 1 - wider stance - I had to install 1cm of extra top padding on each side. I like to have my shins connected to the wheel (just barely) to get more control, so I can hug the wheel with my legs when I start to feel a wobble. I will replace these with some "power pads". There are several available already but I may just fabricate something myself.

7 hours ago, NastyFartPants said:

Just received my S18

This shows the new pedal hangers and the alignment of the mudguard, by the way the small mudguard at the back has already broken!

Obviously fake. The tire and the fender align perfectly. Must be photo shopped. :(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NastyFartPants said:

Just received my S18

This shows the new pedal hangers and the alignment of the mudguard, by the way the small mudguard at the back has already broken!

I disconnected the shock to give an idea of the suspension’s stiffness out of the box

This to me is not good! You have the new style pedal hangers, that do not appear to have the block between the pipes. --> no block to remove to compensate for any mis-alignments of the pipes, which are a major problem with suspension stiffness!

On the plus side, you do have a nice and straight fender. Wish I had one :clap3:

Edited by FinRider

7 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

So I just got my S18, looks like it is aligned properly. It's not balancing when I turn it on. Does anybody know why?

Dumb question...but did you unlock it via app?

If you did unlock it...then maybe it needs to be calibrated...which can be done via app as well.

Edited by dsd317

4 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Hmm. I did upgrade the firmware and connect to the app. Im not seeing anywhere to unlock it

Which app are you using? Darknessbot will have an obvious "Unlock" button with a picture of a padlock either locked or unlocked.

26 minutes ago, Steef Klonoa said:

Ok, new question. Suspension is now stuck in the upright position as you can see in this picture. Any suggestions to get it functioning right?

20200917_172256(1).jpg

Try turning that blue lever on the shock?  I'm not sure which direction it's supposed to be in, but one direction will lock the shock in that position.