King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

54 minutes ago, Christophe Maziere said:

Got mine. Great wheel, but a bit disappointed. First of all, we are not shaped like Kuji. Impossible for me to lock my feet to jump, a torture for my calves. I'm a short man 5.5 , maybe I should try to move the pedal higher. 
I have an issue with the trolley, at the point to lift the wheel, the engine is still engaged. I checked on the app, it's on.

The suspension seems to doing the job, but not at 100%  and is not really easy to tune. Did you remove the iron bricks for improvment? Thanks

Purposeful design with handle. Originally when it hit the lift handle position the wheel would just fall over and due to the design made it hard to grab. Look at early reviews of influencers on this subject. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Christophe Maziere said:

Got mine. Great wheel, but a bit disappointed. First of all, we are not shaped like Kuji. Impossible for me to lock my feet to jump, a torture for my calves. I'm a short man 5.5 , maybe I should try to move the pedal higher. 
I have an issue with the trolley, at the point to lift the wheel, the engine is still engaged. I checked on the app, it's on.

The suspension seems to doing the job, but not at 100%  and is not really easy to tune. Did you remove the iron bricks for improvment? Thanks

Christophe, are you on the latest firmware? In 2.05 the behavior of the trolley is changed.

As for the shape -- I agree and I have the same issue, although I am about 5'9. I am considering removing the stock pads (at least the top ones) and fitting custom-made pads (neoprene or similar). I also lifted the pedals to the top position.

For the suspensions -- I removed the metal bricks but in my case it did not make too much of a difference... I am still working on tweaking the suspension to my taste; plus I am still trying to figure out how to get rid of fender rubbing...

It is a great wheel but unfortunately you have to correct a few production issues and then tweak it to your taste.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, eve said:

Yes remove the blocks.

What are these blocks you guys are talking about? My suspension seems to be working just fine for me (so far). I'm curious what these blocks are that you guys are talking about removing.

Just now, Bridgeboy said:

What are these blocks you guys are talking about? My suspension seems to be working just fine for me (so far). I'm curious what these blocks are that you guys are talking about removing.

First batchers have metal blocks in the pedal hangers. Its to prevent the hangers from bending the suspension rod. After you tighten the hangers you take them out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Christophe Maziere said:

@eve Thanks a lot. I've found the problem , there is loose on the trolley to the right. So, the engine restart when I lift (One bip, then two ) . Do I need to dissasemble thing to fix it? 

Is there a screw missing in your handle? There should be two screws. No i dont think so. Im pretty sure you can fix the handle without disassembling the wheel. 

All important part of the handle system are in the suspension rods and they are not blocked by anything. So you can disassemble just the system. 

There are two parts. 1. That is on the handle (2 for each rod). 2. One inside the rod (Same, 2 for each rod). 

You can take the first out from the top but you have to take the second out from the bottom. Be careful because there is "lock-in" hole a little bit over the pedal height on the rod. 

Im not sure if there is clearence on the cover that will allow you to push something into it to lock it out so you can take it out from the bottom.

But i think it should be okay.

Where did you buy your wheel? Definetly contact your dealer and ask if its okay to fix it yourself or check it so that you have it in written form. Really wouldnt want to see someone lose their warranty because of evil seller. :laughbounce2:

Edited by eve
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, eve said:

First batchers have metal blocks in the pedal hangers. Its to prevent the hangers from bending the suspension rod. After you tighten the hangers you take them out. 

I got 2nd batch so I guess I don't have these blocks?

26 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

Check. Its on the pedal hangers. Check the screws where for the pedals. From there go a bit lower and there should be a black brick. Its really hard to see. Because its painted and looks exactly like the pedal hanger. 

But put a light on it and check.

But you may have the new pedal hangers. They have these built in. So you cant take them out.

• Like 2

On 9/15/2020 at 9:22 PM, Stillhart said:

I find it amusing that you're calling the S18 tall though.  It doesn't feel any taller than my Nikola and the V11 feels waaaay taller between the legs.

Edit: these are the pre-production/demo models that made the rounds. The final production V11 is the same height but has notably higher pedals.

101188321_1007450019652666_2792535702330

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

@AtlasP exactly.  Note that the V11 is taller to begin with and the pedals are a lot lower.  That will make it come much higher between the legs.

Pedals are actually higher on the production model. So V11 most likely doesnt feel high anymore. Just very sensitive because of the extremely high pedals.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

I have 2nd batch that I just received this past Monday.  I'm still working, but ASAP I'll show pictures of what i did to improve suspension movements.  Oh...and my S18 has those infamous blocks...which I removed.  Again...I'll post pics ASAP.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eve said:

Pedals are actually higher on the production model. So V11 most likely doesnt feel high anymore. Just very sensitive because of the extremely high pedals.

Yeah, and I just want to reiterate that I keep using the word "feel" on purpose.  As in I don't think the S18 "feels" tall, especially compared to the V11.  I'm sure there are a lot of factors that influence this from the pedal height, to where the wheel touches the leg, etc etc.  At the end of the day, it's a subjective thing to talk about feel and I realize that not everyone will agree with my take on it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

Yeah, and I just want to reiterate that I keep using the word "feel" on purpose.  As in I don't think the S18 "feels" tall, especially compared to the V11.  I'm sure there are a lot of factors that influence this from the pedal height, to where the wheel touches the leg, etc etc.  At the end of the day, it's a subjective thing to talk about feel and I realize that not everyone will agree with my take on it.

For me S18 feels like it was made for my legs. Height-wise, padding placment and pedal size. i dont think i would feel more comfortable on a V11.Well i will know when i buy it! :laughbounce2:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

I have 2nd batch that I just received this past Monday.  I'm still working, but ASAP I'll show pictures of what i did to improve suspension movements.  Oh...and my S18 has those infamous blocks...which I removed.  Again...I'll post pics ASAP.

Thanks, pictures would really help me understand what we're talking about.

1 hour ago, eve said:

Is there a screw missing in your handle? There should be two screws. No i dont think so. Im pretty sure you can fix the handle without disassembling the wheel. 

All important part of the handle system are in the suspension rods and they are not blocked by anything. So you can disassemble just the system. 

There are two parts. 1. That is on the handle (2 for each rod). 2. One inside the rod (Same, 2 for each rod). 

You can take the first out from the top but you have to take the second out from the bottom. Be careful because there is "lock-in" hole a little bit over the pedal height on the rod. 

Im not sure if there is clearence on the cover that will allow you to push something into it to lock it out so you can take it out from the bottom.

But i think it should be okay.

Where did you buy your wheel? Definetly contact your dealer and ask if its okay to fix it yourself or check it so that you have it in written form. Really wouldnt want to see someone lose their warranty because of evil seller. :laughbounce2:

Thanks for your help. I'm gonna check this trolley issue tonite.

The good news from my second day was the range test. I made 77 km !! ( I don't know in miles ), with 11% battery left on wheel log. My average speed was around 30 km/h , a bit less. I'm weigh 68 kg. I really begin to appreciate this wheel. Less pain today on my calves . 

6 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

Thanks, pictures would really help me understand what we're talking about.

0?ui=2&ik=317299ed78&attid=0.1&permmsgid

The space in the midle is where the brick is. The pedals are attached on the left.

But u might have the new hangers that have that part connected instead of having a brick there.

Just arrived.

The wire near the pedal is rubbing.. we will have to hammer that in. I do have the blocks, that I will attempt to remove as well. 

Also, I realized I cannot pump the + chamber beyond 120 ? Impossible to pump it. 

Edited by nycommuter69

43 minutes ago, fryman said:

These blocks.

I do have those blocks! But what does that mean? I didn't notice any problem with my suspension when I rode for 20-miles last night.  Maybe I don't how much better it may be if I take the blocks out?

But why were the blocks put there to begin with? They must have a purpose. Maybe I should leave them in?

Edited by Bridgeboy

17 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Just arrived.

The wire near the pedal is rubbing.. we will have to hammer that in. 

Also, I realized I cannot pump the + chamber beyond 120 ? Impossible to pump it. 

Make sure you have the thing screwed on completely. Maybe you're not getting air into the chamber.

Just got my S18 and I have several questions:

1. Is a phone required to use the S18? I'm not a phone person. Mine is 10+ years old, and the least I was looking to do is install apps just so that I can "unlock" the wheel. But anyway, I downloaded the app and now The King Song app logo is frozen on the screen and the app wouldn't get me any further. I restarted the app a bunch of times, but it gets me to the same King Song logo and it freezes there.... I hope I can use this thing without having to deal with a phone.
  2. Charging: Would the red light on the charger eventually turn green after the battery is charged? Does it even matter if I can't figure out the phone thing?
  3. I also didn't get the little card with the psi pressure that apparently should be included in the box (as I saw in one of the videos). I do however have the two generic manuals. And one of them (the bigger booklet) has a generic guide that says ~140 lbs person -- 105 psi for top chamber and 50 psi for bottom chamber. I am 130 lbs.; add 10 lbs of luggage on me... and let's say my riding weight will be ~140 lbs. I will be commuting on a road to work and back. I will not be using this wheel for dirt riding and jumping. Would the 105 and 50 be okay? (But again, if the phone thing doesn't work... then I guess I'm screwed, uh?)
Edited by jmsjms