Jump to content
Phong Vu

King Song S18 Discussion

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Ádám Szitás said:

My 16x spins up to 65/66kmh, are you sure you got 76kmh free spin on it??

No. I just got the numbers from reports here - and 76 km/h should only be possible with fully charged battery (84V). Maybe i got this wrong?

Your 66 km/h would mean ~73V battery voltage?

Edited by Chriull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is 66kmh with a fully charged 84v battery voltage of course and it just gets lower and lower, the headroom is small on that wheel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ádám Szitás said:

It is 66kmh with a fully charged 84v battery voltage of course and it just gets lower and lower, the headroom is small on that wheel

Then i should double check this/change my graphs! Was maybe a typo somewhere 76 instead of 67.... :(

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any official respond from @Jack King Song on this battery & cut off issue yet?

or they still busy knocking their heads on the suspension problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the obvious question, but what exactly is a wheel cutoff? I used to think that a cutoff meant that the wheel depowered and no longer tried to self-level. But of course this would mean that a cutoff would be unrecoverable. As I understand it now, a cutoff means that the rider asks too much from the wheel and it can't provide enough power to keep itself level but it still provides as much power as it can in trying to stay level. Is this correct? Maybe different EUC's from different manufacturers behave differently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

Sorry for the obvious question, but what exactly is a wheel cutoff?

Wheel stops working instantly. E.g. board dies mid-ride. Happens extremely rarely.

18 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

the rider asks too much from the wheel and it can't provide enough power to keep itself level but it still provides as much power as it can in trying to stay level.

That would be an overlean, and some people claim they can recover from one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this is a cut-off? 

 

And this is an overlean? 

 

Adam (Wrong Way) Recovered from it while in EUCO the wheel just dropped dead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/27/2020 at 7:02 PM, Ben Hatfield said:

anyone else have a significant tire rub?  Mine seems to have that same exact rub that Ian had in his Speedyfeet review

This is really long thread with 129-pages now. I tried looking for an update for this so I apologize if it's mentioned anywhere, but...

I just received my S18 (also from eWheels) and it has tire rub. Very disappointing given this was pointed out multiple times in preproduction. Just walking around with it around the house it rubs once per revolution. Looking at the plastic fender housing it definitely looks to be installed off-center with the tire and I suspect that is the problem. Has anyone solved this issue yet? Is there a way to adjust the fender housing to be centered on the tire? I don't understand the desire to design a fender with such low clearances.

I haven't ridden it yet outside, just around a house a little. I'm charging the battery right now. Once charged I have everything else all dialed in except for this tire rub. It's difficult to get good pictures of it but here:

 

S18 Fender (2).jpg

S18 Fender (3).jpg

S18 Fender.jpg

S18 Fender (1).jpg

Edited by Bridgeboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Bridgeboy You have two choices. Send it back to eWheels or take it apart and try to center the fender when reassembling. You might not have to do a full disassemly just the the tyre change one. 

I would definetly contact eWheels first and if you decide to do it yourself ask if it doesnt void your warranty. 

Edited by eve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UniVehje said:

Me too. There is space for a larger fender. It’s actually quite common to have it too tight in other models as well. EUCs have still not quite graduated from toy category to vehicles. You should be able to switch to any tire with same markings on the side wall. And don’t get me started on the difficulty of tire change...  

I think the S18 has it tight in there with the suspension. Would be better if the fender was desing on the top, going under the motherboard and suspension. 

Interestingly Sherman seems to have a very good clearence. 

118808722_3191130874274681_4328916620842

But some russian managed to put a knobby with the fender on, on S18! :D

Edited by eve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's definitely a combination of the tire not being true and the fender being installed dramatically off-center of the tire. The shape of the S18 make it easy to flip over and balance on its frame so you can just free spin the wheel by hand and hear and watch where it rubs as the non-true tire goes side to side and hits the fender which is offset to one side. I'm not sure how "perfect" we should expect tires to be, and this tire may be considered to be within tolerance, but the fender being installed so poorly off-center is definitely poor design/workmanship by KingSong. Look the center seam of the plastic fender compared to the center rubber seam in the tire: it's a good 1/4" off-center!: EDIT: see my posts below, I'm not sure if the fender is offset after all. It may be the tire and entire wheel that is offset from center.

 

 

S18 Fender (4).jpg

S18 Fender (5).jpg

Edited by Bridgeboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eve said:

Interestingly Sherman seems to have a very good clearence. 

That’s a good example of how it should be done. But it was probably designed with the knobby in mind. 

3 minutes ago, eve said:

But some russian managed to put a knobby with the fender on, on S18! :D

That was an 18x2.5” knobby so no problems with that one. It’s the 18x3” knobbies that will not fit. Like the tire that is on the Sherman.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

If it's more so the tire that is misaligned you might be able to deflate it and squeeze/pry at it by hand to get it so seat more evenly on the rim.

I think you might be on to something here. The fender might be centered in the housing but I think the entire wheel appears to be misaligned off-center or leaning to one side forcing it closer to the fender at the top. This thread won't let me upload any more pics but the fender measures at the center of the space between the housing and the seam on the tire is offset from center of the space between the housing walls.

Edited by Bridgeboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Mark Wilson said:

If it's more so the tire that is misaligned you might be able to deflate it and squeeze/pry at it by hand to get it so seat more evenly on the rim.

Just examine the bead as it revolves around the tire and look to see if it is uneven.  Like has been posted if it isn't it can be deflated and reseated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Paradox said:

Just examine the bead as it revolves around the tire and look to see if it is uneven.  Like has been posted if it isn't it can be deflated and reseated.

The tire looks to be installed evenly on the rim. The bead looks even all the way around on both sides.

I'm suspecting if it's possible the entire wheel/rim is not aligned properly. My measurements put the seam in the center of the rubber tire being offset approximately 1/8" from the center of the space between the housing "walls." While the seam in plastic fender appears to be more or less centered between the housing walls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Ben Hatfield said:

I got a first shipment wheel, and did note my tire rub out of the box on this forum.

It ended up to not be a fender issue - and it looked very similar to your issue.  The wheel/motor was 5mm off center (in my case to the left side).  My wheel actually hugged my left leg while riding.  In other words the wheel had a very slight lean due to the off center nature.  That is obviously unacceptable for a brand new wheel out of the box.

I contacted eWheels with several detailed emails, and they did take my S18 back for repairs.  It returned to me better, but not perfect.  It does ride way better (most importantly), but the wheel/motor still looks off center.  The diagnosis and fix was described as, "The fault was that the spacer between the motor & bracket was not flush, resulting in the 3-5mm of lopsidedness to one side."

I feel as though the margins for this wheels construction were too high, and in my case I got a wheel that lacked symmetry.

I can't know your wheel has the exact same problem, but it does look similar. 

Thanks for the update, and this is exactly what I think is happening with my S18. And I don't think I want to settle for a "better" yet still unsymmetrical wheel. I mean how hard can it be to center the wheel? The entire concept of a Unicycle is one single wheel and they (as in Kingsong) can't get it centered? Especially when they design such a tight fender to go around it...

I sent eWheels a couple of emails with pictures. We'll see what they say this week.

Edited by Bridgeboy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

I sent eWheels a couple of emails with pictures. We'll see what they say this week.

They are very responsive to customer issues.  They bend over backwards to make something right.  I am confident they will correct this situation.

Edited by Paradox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Paradox said:

They are very responsive to customer issues.  They bend over backwards to make something right.  I am confident they will correct this situation.

Yes, I know they are very good. I've bought four wheels from them so far. Besides my KS18XL I've bought a KS16S for my wife and two KS14S's (for my daughter and son). 

This S18 is my fifth EUC from them and I also have a Sherman on the way once it's ready to ship any day now. It's been a couple of months or so since I placed the deposits for the S18 and the Sherman.

It's just disappointing to get a sub-par built wheel brand new out of the box after having already waiting a couple of months for it. It even took a week to get here when it usually only takes 1-day. I live very close to where they ship from in CA. FedEx has not been very efficient lately (was not eWheel's fault). Another COVID-19 problem I suppose...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

It's definitely a combination of the tire not being true and the fender being installed dramatically off-center of the tire. The shape of the S18 make it easy to flip over and balance on its frame so you can just free spin the wheel by hand and hear and watch where it rubs as the non-true tire goes side to side and hits the fender which is offset to one side. I'm not sure how "perfect" we should expect tires to be, and this tire may be considered to be within tolerance, but the fender being installed so poorly off-center is definitely poor design/workmanship by KingSong. Look the center seam of the plastic fender compared to the center rubber seam in the tire: it's a good 1/4" off-center!: EDIT: see my posts below, I'm not sure if the fender is offset after all. It may be the tire and entire wheel that is offset from center.

 

 

S18 Fender (4).jpg

S18 Fender (5).jpg

This issue can be fixed by adding a thin piece of aluminum above the axel of the motor, since the tire is facing right you can place the aluminum ontop of the axel on the right side to shift it back left. A coke can should work, you may require 2 pieces for the right thickness, please also make sure you dull the edges so it doesnt cut anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Beachboy said:

Any official respond from @Jack King Song on this battery & cut off issue yet?

or they still busy knocking their heads on the suspension problems?

You'll have to tag me in the issue, I cant follow along this thread. 
However as a 90kg rider if I'm riding the S18 I don't push it's limits and I'm not trying to over torque the wheel. As with any self balancing device it's important to respect it's limits. 
Not saying there couldnt be issues with components...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...