King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

3 minutes ago, RagingGrandpa said:
  • Lighter
  • Easier to mount lean pads (critical!)
  • Styling (subjective)
  • $100 cheaper (depends on vendor)

What's the MSRP on the V11?  I thought they were saying ~$2300?  That would make it $300 cheaper.

Wow, I gotta say, that looks pretty compelling. The only concern I have is that there is a lot of air space and it seems like there is not much room to put enough battery. These wheels are designed so tight normally. If the range is still reasonable, this could be a game changer. But if it's pitiful, then it might not be worth it. 

In the end though, this ups the ante for Gotway to bring something to the table. I'd love to see their take on this. Plus I'd love to give my knees a break on the rougher trails and I think this kind of solution would be worth it's weight in gold.

:w00t2:

• Like 1

On the new Kuji S18 Video the suspension looks perfect. :thumbup:

I don't know what they copied from Inmotion. :confused1:

On the new Inmotion video the suspension looks absolutely bad for me again. 

In the end it doesn't matter, because the battery is still too small. :furious:

Edited by buell47
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, buell47 said:

On the new Kuji S18 Video the suspension looks perfect. :thumbup:

I don't know what they copied from Inmotion. :confused1:

On the new Inmotion video the suspension looks absolutely bad for me again. 

In the end it doesn't matter, because the battery is still too small. :furious:

I hadn't seen this video before.  That suspension is doing basically nothing because it's bottoming out on every drop.  Now normally (on a motorcycle for instance) that's something you would adjust to get working properly.  I wonder how adjustable the V11 shock is.  Based on that video, I'd pick the S18 for sure.

• Like 2

@Jack King Song

What is the maximum charge current?

Does it also have a dual Lenovo charging port like the 16X / 18L?

With the tiny battery, it would be important to be able to charge with 10A without hesitation. Otherwise that would be a reason for me not to buy this beautiful wheel. :(

9 minutes ago, buell47 said:

@Jack King Song

What is the maximum charge current?

Does it also have a dual Lenovo charging port like the 16X / 18L?

With the tiny battery, it would be important to be able to charge with 10A without hesitation. Otherwise that would be a reason for me not to buy this beautiful wheel. :(

I had the same question, if we could juice it up fast, it would take away some of the range "pain", but at 5a max, I struggle to pull the trigger on this one, makes me sad too...

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

Currently my engineer has told me nothing above 5a is fine. 

It would be nice if EUCs would take charge rate up to the maximum healthy for the battery, ie 0.5C.

When travelling far it takes a long time to charge even with a 5A charger.
The 18XL can take 10A, the 16S 6A, I hope this gets improved n the S18.

I also hope next generation charge port will be take more power than Lenovo and GX16.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Jack King Song said:

Currently my engineer has told me nothing above 5a is fine. 

With the 18L/16X there were also contradictory statements from King Song.

First it was 5A, then 10A and later again 5A.

I and many others charge the 16X and also the 18L/XL with 8-9A without problems. Some even with 10A.

Can your engineer at least tell if the S18 should at least be able to handle the same charge current as 16X/18L.

What about the charging connector? Lenovo? Dual or single port? 

Edited by buell47

2 minutes ago, Flyboy10 said:

If this (my post) gets 20 likes, I post a video without music and every time the wheel compresses I'll overlay a duck sound :laughbounce2:. Any other ideas?

Needs a version with the Hannah Barbera sounds like in the Weird Al "Fat" video!  :D

31 minutes ago, buell47 said:

With the 18L/16X there were also contradictory statements from King Song.

First it was 5A, then 10A and later again 5A.

AFAIK The "back to 5A" part was only the 16X, someone had gotten theirs in flames with a third party charger, and although it showed later the charger had water damage from being outside on a boat deck, KS probably chickened out and introduced the 5A limit by software. My 18XL still charges with 10A (9A)since it was confirmed.

Edited by null
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, null said:

The "back to 5A" part was only the 16X, someone had gotten theirs in flames with a third party charger, and although it showed later the charger had water damage from being outside on a boat deck, KS probably chickened out and introduced the 5A limit by software. My 18XL still charges with 10A after it was confirmed.

Interesting. that kinda hurts my feelings, as when the sks18 arrives, I'll have 2 wheels and 2 ks chargers. NOW im finding that i'll only be able to double charger the 18L, but not the sks18? If using 2 chargers IS hurting the batteries or shortening the life, I have no problems keeping it at 5amp. Tho I WANT to take advantage of double chargers, i surely won't risk my batteries. Above all, I am VERY concerned of battery life and maintenance. SO far, I've only used 1 charger, keep it topped off, and never charge  it after being  recently in use.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

5 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

Does this this wheel have a smart bms and proper IP certification like the V11?

Inmotion never got a certified rating previously, It is their estimate. Certifed tests are pretty expensive. They (Inmotion) hinted earlier that itshould be IP67 but they didn't say if that was V11 or next wheel in aimed for October. 

As for KS they never really confirmed any rating. The KS18L/XL have hold up fairly in general. The KS16X have had issues but if that was assemble or due to design I can't say. 

I don't think (I can't confirm this) they are going to bother to do any IP rating on it. They (KS) have not really listened when I gave feedback in this. 

but maybe @Jack King Song will change that. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Inmotion never got a certified rating previously, It is their estimate. Certifed tests are pretty expensive. They (Inmotion) hinted earlier that itshould be IP67 but they didn't say if that was V11 or next wheel in aimed for October. 

As for KS they never really confirmed any rating. The KS18L/XL have hold up fairly in general. The KS16X have had issues but if that was assemble or due to design I can't say. 

I don't think (I can't confirm this) they are going to bother to do any IP rating on it. They (KS) have not really listened when I gave feedback in this. 

but maybe @Jack King Song will change that. 

I wonder what the cost per unit is, to pay for that cert crap? People are complaining about wanting things cheaper, but also want expensive certifications. I mean hell, I want my cake and eat it too. I place very little value in certifications and maximum value in real world results. I do hope the sks18 proves to be water resistant to handle rains and mud puddles, hell EVERY euc should be. Im not holding my breath on a battery of certs, as this market is a brutal price war and time is of the essence.   Having safety features for battery management and waterproofing SHOULD be a standard thing nowadays. Me, I should be IP rated as a human, but I aint paying for it. I still manage to not melt in the shower, the proof is I'm still here.http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dave Wood said:

not true it states a IP rating of IP55 on their specs sheet 

they also list a range of 120 km haha.. whos gonna stop em.. i believe inmotion that they have done in house testing though to achieve this, from what ive seen in the past they do take waterproofing more seriously than other companies.. but its just IP55 i dont believe there would be more than one or two eucs that couldnt achieve that... they do clearly state "ip certification" though which is probably a blatant lie because yes you have to pay for certification and its costly