King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

50 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

Havent calibrate the wheel since I got it, I’m afraid if I did the calibration will make the wheel feels weird just like my old KS14M..

Do I really need to calibrate anyway?

I have updated FW but havent ride it outside just standing on it and move it back & forth, but the pedal felt “soft” when tilting...curious..🤔

Calibrating is only needed if the wheel doesn't know which way is up anymore. If it still knows what level is you're good. 

Another reason for calibrating is if you intentionally want your pedals at a tilt instead of level. The Sherman has a function to do this in one degree increments just by pressing a button. I played around with this and noticed that it is a practical function. Tilting the pedals forward allows for faster accelerating and the ability to reach higher speeds. Tilting them backward hindered accelerating and prevented me from obtaining higher speeds. I never would have known this unless I started experimenting with that function on the Sherman.

So, the S18 doesn't have a button to press for this, but you can calibrate it tilting forward or backward to achieve the same results you want; or just leave it with pedals level. 

Edited by Bridgeboy
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Bridgeboy said:

Calibrating is only needed if the wheel doesn't know which way is up anymore. If it it still know what level is you're good. 

Another reason for calibrating is if you intentionally want your pedals at a tilt instead of level. The Sherman has a function to do this in one degree increments just by pressing a button. I played around with this and noticed that it is a practical function. Tilting the pedals forward allows for faster accelerating and the ability to reach higher speeds. Tilting them backward hindered accelerating and prevented me from obtaining higher speeds. I never would have known this unless I started experimenting with that function on the Sherman.

So, the S18 doesn't have a button to press for this, but you can calibrate it tilting forward or backward to achieve the same results you want; or just leave it with pedals level. 

Hi, I had adjusted my gyro tilt -1 to -2deg actually, yes its good for accelerating and easing your feet..

but after some times the pedal feels back to 0 deg position eventhough my setting still there..maybe its because I didnt perform calibration..🤔

I dont own a sherman, from reviews I know I would love that wheel, going to buy one when I got the money...👍👍 anyway, hows the torque?

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 1

Just like I imagine it..👍👍👍 

I know gotway also making their sherman version..been eyeing them too but seems sherman got all the likes I have..😅

I’m sorry for your S18, for me like suspension issues been history already.. I got zero issue on it, my biggest complaint now is only battery sag..I can feel it everytime I rode it...damn..

Hope KS provide an upgrade soon 

Anyway, how come you havent fix that suspension of yours?its an easy fix actually..

Edited by Beachboy

5 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

Calibrating is only needed if the wheel doesn't know which way is up anymore. If it still knows what level is you're good.

...unless the firmware update changes how the wheel reads the gyro data. Which has been every now and then. Manufacturers rarely disclose when it is or isn’t needed, which is why calibration is generally recommended after a FW update.

5 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

Another reason for calibrating is if you intentionally want your pedals at a tilt instead of level.

KS hasn’t allowed this anymore after their 2.0 FW updates across the board. The wheel must be calibrated to dead level front to back also, otherwise it will tilt badly in turns. After hearing the disappointment of the community, KS provided the riding angle adjustment in the Soft Tuner app, so riders could have personalized angles again.

I don’t know how the S18 behaves regarding this, but I’d be surprised if they went back to the old system.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Beachboy said:

Anyway, how come you havent fix that suspension of yours?its an easy fix actually..

I'm glad the fix was easy for you, but it wasn't for me. You must have missed my posts talking about how the Allen bolt heads stripped out into circles. Especially the two on the inner part of the suspension frame opposite of where the oversized penny washers are. They are hard to get to on the inside like that in order to get them out.

At this point I'm fully expecting my dealer, eWheels, to fix it and backcharge Kingsong for all the cost. It is a clear manufacturing defect and a warranty issue.

So far eWheels has been more or less silent on what they're going to do but I'm confident they'll end up figuring it out. I going on the presumption they are just overwhelmed right now with all the problems and complaints with these new wheel releases. Even the Shermans they had to take apart and change the inner tube on all of them before sending out (or provide a good inner tube and a $75 credit per customer choice).

In the meantime I'm happy riding the Sherman. If I didn't have the Sherman I'd be more desperate to get the S18 fixed.

• Like 2

Taking the opportunity of the group potential - maybe we have somebody with experience in oils/lubricants...

I have heard that suspension pipes shall be oiled using stanchion fluoro oil. I have found it on the net - but in 15 grams bottles - cost around 12 USD... this means that 1 liter of this oil cost around 800 USD ! this is quite expensive .... We do not need a lot of this oil, but I sometimes refuse to pay such a premium price to some company which buys a can of some kind of industrial oil, fills micro-bottles and sell with hefty profit...  - so anyone with such experience here who can suggest what kind of oil it really is?

oil.jpg

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 1

Pretty much any silicone oil will do...I use the small bottles you get for RC car shocks on my Fox MTB stancions...it lasts forever when you only need a couple of drops.

A lot of the fancy 'Stancion Juice' lubes are simply silicon oil with a nice smell added. Of course nothing will work to help badly sized/aligned yokes though..

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

I'm glad the fix was easy for you, but it wasn't for me. You must have missed my posts talking about how the Allen bolt heads stripped out into circles. Especially the two on the inner part of the suspension frame opposite of where the oversized penny washers are. They are hard to get to on the inside like that in order to get them out.

At this point I'm fully expecting my dealer, eWheels, to fix it and backcharge Kingsong for all the cost. It is a clear manufacturing defect and a warranty issue.

So far eWheels has been more or less silent on what they're going to do but I'm confident they'll end up figuring it out. I going on the presumption they are just overwhelmed right now with all the problems and complaints with these new wheel releases. Even the Shermans they had to take apart and change the inner tube on all of them before sending out (or provide a good inner tube and a $75 credit per customer choice).

In the meantime I'm happy riding the Sherman. If I didn't have the Sherman I'd be more desperate to get the S18 fixed.

Ooh thought you managed with that bolts, yeah its pain in the ass..for $2k toys like this KS should be ashamed on giving us that kind of crappy steel bolts..yesterday I also saw in FB group somebody posted that crappy bolt broke in half..thats unacceptable..

whats wrong with the sherman inner tube?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachboy said:

Ooh thought you managed with that bolts, yeah its pain in the ass..for $2k toys like this KS should be ashamed on giving us that kind of crappy steel bolts..yesterday I also saw in FB group somebody posted that crappy bolt broke in half..thats unacceptable..

whats wrong with the sherman inner tube?

See below notice  eWheels sent our before we finalized our orders (they're talking about the valve stems):

Tubes:
With the last batch of Shermans, it was found that Veteran had installed substandard tubes; a couple of these broke off within a few days of using the Wheel. There are two options available for dealing with this problem, please let us know which option would be preferable to you:
1) We will carry out the tube replacement at our service center, before shipping out. This may add another between 7-14 days—depending on the number that need to be worked on.
2) Ship out immediately on arrival & provide a replacement tube in the box, also crediting back $75 on the order, for the hassle of having to change these out.   

2 hours ago, Bridgeboy said:

See below notice  eWheels sent our before we finalized our orders (they're talking about the valve stems):

Tubes:
With the last batch of Shermans, it was found that Veteran had installed substandard tubes; a couple of these broke off within a few days of using the Wheel. There are two options available for dealing with this problem, please let us know which option would be preferable to you:
1) We will carry out the tube replacement at our service center, before shipping out. This may add another between 7-14 days—depending on the number that need to be worked on.
2) Ship out immediately on arrival & provide a replacement tube in the box, also crediting back $75 on the order, for the hassle of having to change these out.   

Oh wow...

thank you for the info above, I will make sure those tyre tube replaced with the quality one when I put an order..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beachboy said:

Oh wow...

thank you for the info above, I will make sure those tyre tube replaced with the quality one when I put an order..

Keep in mind that by the time you order your Sherman they may already be using higher quality tubes straight from the factory. There's a chance you may not need to replace it.

• Like 1

On 16/10/2020 at 17:45, dsd317 said:

Nueva actualización de firmware S18. Quien lo esta haciendo

24B720CF-28AE-4471-BEBE-3F84B59E0736.jpeg

When I received the kss18 on October 7, the firmware was updated to version 2.05 and the biggest problem for me is that when you turn around a curve, the wheel leans forward quite a few degrees. It is good if you want to accelerate at that time, but the incline being so great is very dangerous.

Right now I have just received a new version which is 2.06 and I will be able to test tomorrow and I hope that the strong forward lean does not occur when turning strongly as it is possibly a software bug.

The angle calibration of the KSS18 has always been available in the Kingsong app and the EUC World app.

You probably want to use a dry lubricant, those seals aren’t the greatest, allow dust and small particles into the bearings. If you decide to use any form of silicon you won’t be able to change that in the future. Anything that the silicone touches won’t hold anything else. Silicone also attracts dust and dirt. Look for something like WD-40 Dry Lube with PTFE. It cheap easy to find, has a covalent bond and resists dust and dirt. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, feguti said:

When I received the kss18 on October 7, the firmware was updated to version 2.05 and the biggest problem for me is that when you turn around a curve, the wheel leans forward quite a few degrees. It is good if you want to accelerate at that time, but the incline being so great is very dangerous.

Right now I have just received a new version which is 2.06 and I will be able to test tomorrow and I hope that the strong forward lean does not occur when turning strongly as it is possibly a software bug.

The angle calibration of the KSS18 has always been available in the Kingsong app and the EUC World app.

Well as my other KS wheel, everytime you take a turn the pedals will leaned forward a few degrees, I think its typical for the KS.

I tried EUCworld app just a quick look, seems you can change many kind of settings on the wheels but I was lazy for that, also I tried darknessbot that apps gave beeps too early at 30kmh, I did adjusted the speed alarm around 46kmh for 1st beep but still it screams everytime reached 30kmh, dont know what to do so eventually back to KS apps 😅

Maybe later I would give another try with Darknessbot & EUCworld

as for new KS FW, in the lift handle mode, the tyre spin gets quite heavy, a bit better torque, and also seems quiter..

Edited by Beachboy

On 10/16/2020 at 5:45 PM, dsd317 said:

New S18 Firmware Update.  Who's doing it?

24B720CF-28AE-4471-BEBE-3F84B59E0736.jpeg

I have just upgraded. Honestly, I preferred the behavior of the lift switch before the upgrade.

I had strange behavior when leaving the wheel plugged in overnight (charging would finish, and after that point the battery would start discharging), so hopefully this firmware fixes it.

As for riding -- I will test later today and post impressions.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

I had strange behavior when leaving the wheel plugged in overnight (charging would finish, and after that point the battery would start discharging), so hopefully this firmware fixes it.

Unfortunately, for me, it still discharges while leaving charger plugged in after charge is complete (green).  I just tested overnight last night and this morning it was down to 98% on KS app and 94% on DarknessBot.  I plugged charger in this morning to charge back up and now it's at 100% in both KS and DarknessBot.

I have received my S18 from EUCO.

The assumption here is that it is from the latest batch, though I cannot confirm this.

The suspension is certainly binding somewhere. Initially I wanted to disconnect the shock so I could check for freedom of movement. However, I could not get the lower bolts off even with soldering iron heat - I think I will just need more heat. So I opted to completely deflate the shock. It takes both hands pushing down or prying up to get articulation. Also, there are the large washers on the middle linkage.

I have not tried to ride it yet. I think I will fix the suspension first. I have contacted EUCO but I don’t expect there to be any options other than the obvious return or be advised on how to fix. 

Edited by AlexIsTheBest
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

I have received my S18 from EUCO.

The assumption here is that it is from the latest batch, though I cannot confirm this.

The suspension is certainly binding somewhere. Initially I wanted to disconnect the shock so I could check for freedom of movement. However, I could not get the lower bolts off even with soldering iron heat - I think I will just need more heat. So I opted to completely deflate the shock. It takes both hands pushing down or prying up to get articulation. Also, there are the large washers on the middle linkage.

I have not tried to ride it yet. I think I will fix the suspension first. I have contacted EUCO but I don’t expect there to be any options other than the obvious return or be advised on how to fix. 

I heard for latest batch, KS already removed all oversized washers and spring washers too...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Here is my S18, you can see the oversized washer. Or is there another place with oversized washers that we’re talking about?

https://imgur.com/a/fPUwBeE

Best to eliminate the large washer as it accomplishes nothing. Replace it with a 10mm x 15 mm washer that is recessed inside the bearing pocket and sits below the height of the barrel nut. 

The washers also come in .125 thickness if you need one thinner. 

50506870926_f465c48980_b.jpg

50507034637_1c09464a00_b.jpg

50507065297_b5811d5dd2_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 2

I will let yall know when It finally arrives.  Mine should be from the 3rd batch because it is best part of four months two weeks 4 days etc late and is still on a boat from china as I type.  The official kingsong reseller located in Ireland has assured me the thing will not be leaving their place until every unit has been inspected in house by their own QC.  Watch this space,  thanks too the forum I am well ready for disappointment.

4 hours ago, AlexIsTheBest said:

Aquí está mi S18, puedes ver la lavadora de gran tamaño. ¿O hay otro lugar con lavadoras de gran tamaño del que estamos hablando?

https://imgur.com/a/fPUwBeE

I received the KSS18 on October 7 and it has the suspension working perfectly, it does not have the washers blocking the suspension as you can see in the next picture.

DSC03012R.jpg?raw=1

16 hours ago, Beachboy said:
16 hours ago, Beachboy said:

Well as my other KS wheel, everytime you take a turn the pedals will leaned forward a few degrees, I think its typical for the KS.

I tried EUCworld app just a quick look, seems you can change many kind of settings on the wheels but I was lazy for that, also I tried darknessbot that apps gave beeps too early at 30kmh, I did adjusted the speed alarm around 46kmh for 1st beep but still it screams everytime reached 30kmh, dont know what to do so eventually back to KS apps 😅

Maybe later I would give another try with Darknessbot & EUCworld

as for new KS FW, in the lift handle mode, the tyre spin gets quite heavy, a bit better torque, and also seems quiter..

I  have been able to test the new firmware version 2.06 and it has effectively improved the dynamic behavior a lot, now it is much more agile and has more torque with less push on our part. This is very important to go through difficult roads with many obstacles and gives much more security.
They have also decreased the forward lean of the wheel, when making turns, which is also very important.

The EUC World is capable of changing speed alarms, lean angle calibration and then the Kingsong app recognizes the changes well.

Edited by feguti
  • Like 1