King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

1 hour ago, nycommuter69 said:

Just arrived.

The wire near the pedal is rubbing.. we will have to hammer that in. I do have the blocks, that I will attempt to remove as well. 

Also, I realized I cannot pump the + chamber beyond 120 ? Impossible to pump it. 

Youre trying to pump it in the "tyre/tube mode". Slide middle part in and twist it to the side until it locks inside the pump. Then you have just the top part moving. 

After that you should have no problem pumping more psi into your shock.

24 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Just got my S18 and I have several questions:

1. Is a phone required to use the S18? I'm not a phone person. Mine is 10+ years old, and the least I was looking to do is install apps just so that I can "unlock" the wheel. But anyway, I downloaded the app and now The King Song app logo is frozen on the screen and the app wouldn't get me any further. I restarted the app a bunch of times, but it gets me to the same King Song logo and it freezes there.... I hope I can use this thing without having to deal with a phone.
  2. Charging: Would the red light on the charger eventually turn green after the battery is charged? Does it even matter if I can't figure out the phone thing?

Sadly yes. The only EUC on the market that doesnt require a phone is the Sherman. 

Uninstall the Kingsong app. You dont need it. Download EUC World/Darkness bot if you have Android/iPhone respectively. 

Yes You need to unlock your wheel othewise it wont stay balanced. Because it is in transport mode. Which doesnt let motor engage at all for safety reasons during transport. 

Yes the light most likely will turn green. Not sure. But Darknessbot/EUC world are so fast to connect to the wheel that you wont have to care. You just take out your phone, open the app and see whats the battery. The bluetooth technology on these wheels is amazing.

• Like 2

1: yes to unlock and the settings. Also after 200km to unlock more speed. After that you dont need it anymore. You might have to borrow one, or try EUC world as alternative app.

2: yes. You can leave it there for a bit but it's better to disconnect after its turned green. No need to charge to 100 every time, but once in a while is needed so the calls will align. Long term storage at 50% bat, cool and dry. 

Have fun.

40 minutes ago, eve said:

Youre trying to pump it in the "tyre/tube mode". Slide middle part in and twist it to the side until it locks inside the pump. Then you have just the top part moving. 

After that you should have no problem pumping more psi into your shock.

Thanks! hahah. I figured it out before I read your post but exactly what you mentioned.

Took about an hour to figure out the suspension, I think I got it to a point where I like it. 

However the bumper is garbage.. the ring just ripped off? 

3 minutes ago, nycommuter69 said:

Thanks! hahah. I figured it out before I read your post but exactly what you mentioned.

Took about an hour to figure out the suspension, I think I got it to a point where I like it. 

However the bumper is garbage.. the ring just ripped off? 

You talking about the o-ring to measure the travel?  In motorcycles, I just use a zip tie.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, eve said:

Has to be phone. You need EUC World.

It says the my phone is not compatible with EUC App.

No King Song app for Android -- it freezes on my phone

No EUC World app for Android -- "not compatible with" my "phone"

I am trying with Wheel Log app now. It did install, but now it says "Waiting for Wheel..." I did click YES on enabling the Blue Tooth. So, when is the app going to recognize the wheel... or should I have to do something else to get it recognized?

Edited by jmsjms

Is it normal for the charger to be that hot. It's almost borderline too hot to handle.... I am making sure to leave the charger on the tiles as opposed to on anything made out of fabric.

Correction: tiles, not titles.

Edited by jmsjms

42 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Is it normal for the charger to be that hot. It's almost borderline too hot to handle.... I am making sure to leave the charger on the titles as opposed to on anything made out of fabric.

They get uncomfortably hot. 

If King Song, EUC World and Wheel Log apps don't work on my (old) Android phone, then the only way to unlock and use this wheel is to buy a new phone? Is there any way to enter the serial number and get it activated... or manage it on the web through my desktop PC as opposed to through my old phone?

21 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

If King Song, EUC World and Wheel Log apps don't work on my (old) Android phone, then the only way to unlock and use this wheel is to buy a new phone? Is there any way to enter the serial number and get it activated... or manage it on the web through my desktop PC as opposed to through my old phone?

You need to connect to it via Bluetooth from a smartphone with one of those apps. there are other reasons to connect to it on a frequent basis besides just unlocking it in the beginning. A smart phone is like a control unit for your wheel. You'll use it to  change settings or update firmware on your wheel, and monitor mileage, temperature, voltage, etc.

Do you not know anybody, a friend or family member, with a smart phone? Just put the app on their phone. I recommend Darknessbot for iPhone. That is what I use.

However, I would recommend getting  a smartphone yourself, if for no other reason than to control your wheel. You don't even need to pay for a phone service on it. Perhaps buy a used phone from somebody for cheap.

Edited by Bridgeboy

3 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

I guess I'm looking for a new phone. I already have an Android, but it's 10+ years old, and those apps didn't want to work.

You can get a brand new smart phone basically for free with a new service plan at any of the major cell phone providers (Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, etc.). Just search their promotions for new customers.

Just borrow one, it takes a minute to do.

33 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

I guess I'm looking for a new phone. I already have an Android, but it's 10+ years old, and those apps didn't want to work.

Just borrow one, it takes a minute to do.

• Like 2

Thanks, I'll manage the issue with the phone soon and the s18 will have to wait till then. Not likely to ask for anybody else's phone... it sounds kind of suspicious. But I would've thought that these issues can be dealt with just a PC, as opposed to requiring only a phone.

Edited by jmsjms

47 minutes ago, jmsjms said:

Thanks, I'll manage the issue with the phone soon and the s18 will have to wait till then. Not likely to ask for anybody else's phone... it sounds kind of suspicious. But I would've thought that these issues can be dealt with just a PC, as opposed to requiring only a phone.

You can't take a PC out riding with you. The phone is not just to unlock your wheel so you can go riding and be done with it. It's both your "car's" dashboard and remote control for your wheel. You will appreciate it once you see everything it does to control your wheel and give you a visible "dashboard" for everything going on with your wheel.

I also use an Apple watch which links with Darknessbot and I can monitor my speed, battery level, check how many miles I've ridden, how many more miles I can ride based on the battery left over, turn on and off my headlight, beep the "horn," and much more all from my wrist all while riding at 30 MPH.

Edited by Bridgeboy
  • Like 1

I also made a separate post about this, but more S18 owners might see it here I guess:

I have my S18 set to 31 MPH maximum speed and have the first two alerts disabled and only the last alert set to 30 MPH. I have the same exact settings on my KS18XL.

On my KS18XL it will not tiltback until I push it all the way to 31 MPH, which is exactly what it is supposed to do.

However, on my new S18, it seems to randomly tiltback anywhere between 25 and 28 mph or so. I never even get to my alarm speed on 30 mph because it keeps tilting me back and making me stop accelerating.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

I am using Darknessbot. Also, what is the "handle" button in Darknessbot? What is that supposed to do?

2 hours ago, jmsjms said:

I mean, in theory you can install an Android emulator (or dev kit) on your PC and then install the app on there and connect via BT (assuming you have BT on your PC).  But there are a lot of advantages to having a phone that's less than 10 years old...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

I mean, in theory you can install an Android emulator (or dev kit) on your PC and then install the app on there and connect via BT (assuming you have BT on your PC).  But there are a lot of advantages to having a phone that's less than 10 years old...

Unfortunately emulator doesn't support Bluetooth :( That's why I need a bunch of phones for app testing :(

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jmsjms said:

Just get any phone with Android 6 or later and you're good. You don't have to buy a new one, used one will work too.

• Like 1