King Song S18 Discussion

Phong Vu

24 minutes ago, Purplecycle said:

On an unrelated note -- has anyone replaced their S18 motor bearings yet? I will need to replace mine and was wondering what model of bearings would be compatible.

How many km does your S18 have now?

1 hour ago, Purplecycle said:

about 460-470km

Wow!  And it needs to be replaced already?  Should I be worried?  I've had this for about a month and mine has over 563km (350 miles), and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

2 minutes ago, dsd317 said:

Wow!  And it needs to be replaced already?  Should I be worried?  I've had this for about a month and mine has over 563km (350 miles), and I don't plan on stopping anytime soon.

Mine had a noise inside the motor since day 1. The noise is getting worse every time I ride it, so I assume one or both bearings are damaged.

If you do not have any strange noise coming from your motor, I would not worry. Depending on the type of routes you usually do (offroad, dirt, water, etc. tend to speed up wear), you may not have to change them for a long time.

On 10/26/2020 at 2:39 PM, Purplecycle said:

On an unrelated note -- has anyone replaced their S18 motor bearings yet? I will need to replace mine and was wondering what model of bearings would be compatible. On my 18L I installed SKF 6203-2RSH/C3 and I have been very happy with them so far (rode over 4k km with them; the originals lasted about 2.5k km).

And the bearings saga continues...

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 4:02 PM, Rehab1 said:

I used Goo Gone and a plastic squeegee. It came right off. 

Before

50409442066_fe3620769f_b.jpg

After with reinforced mud guard.

50409579087_b7c12c63ed_b.jpg

Can you tell me where you were able to find the mudguard reinforcement?  I would like to print one.  Thanks!

• Like 1

First crash today, was riding around 20kmh just for sightseeing, didnt saw there was big paving block in the way made me flying superman-style..and almost suffer faceplant too, luckily I got only some bruises and scratches on hands, the rests are good because I wore my gears except for the elbow...😅😅🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

The wheel got bad scratches and small broken parts on the rear body, right side suspension arms also got scratches but nothing seems affecting movement but got tyre wobble after the crash...I can see it when ridden it home..after some inspection, all seems OK under the shell no bend or even broken parts...what could be wrong with this wobble?

Edited by Beachboy
  • Like 1

You can set the EUC on its side with the tire close to a .... wall, door, chair leg etc. turn the tire by hand to see if the tire gets closer or further away from the wall. You can do the same with a little ingenuity to see it the tire or rim moves side to side. 
Things to look for: bulges in the tire, the tire not seating well to the rim, dents or bulges in the rim. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Beachboy said:

First crash today, was riding around 20kmh just for sightseeing, didnt saw there was big paving block in the way made me flying superman-style..

Big bummer! So glad your ok! Wheels can be fixed much easier than body parts.

I agree with @RockyTop and @dsd317 about checking the wheel/tire alignment. Keep us posted on your findings. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2020 at 4:16 PM, c5flybyu said:

Can you tell me where you were able to find the mudguard reinforcement?  I would like to print one.  Thanks!

Sorry for the delay. I used a piece of 1/8 black abs plastic (Amazon) cut to shape and then riveted the lower section onto the mudguard and screwed the upper portion to the body.  This allows for easy disassembly if required. 

You don’t need this quantity of plastic for the mod but I also used the remainder to fabricate some protective side panels as well.

50545615177_d95c1d5c65_b.jpg

Edited by Rehab1
  • Like 1

I've been bracing for some bad news because I've seen a lot of S18 hate on here and YouTube. Until today, I've had absolute no issues with my S18.

Riding home tonight, I heard a ridiculously fast beep and immediately got off. From that point on, the motor will not engage to balance and any time the wheel moves forward or backward, even tilting, the beeping will not stop.

I just got picked up and I'm home letting it charge. My route is never more than 10 miles, so the battery never goes below about 65%. I am in Minnesota and it's been 30º or so for the last week. Initially, I thought maybe the cold was affecting the battery, but I'm in doors, it's plugged in and is still doing the same thing. I'm beginning to fear it's a control board issue.

Any help at all, I'd be grateful. 

**SOLVED**

I'm going to keep this up just in case anyone else runs in to this issue. I've been using DarknessBot and  keeping the app open on my Apple Watch to check my speed. Apparently, somewhere along the ride, I must have bumped "Lock". It's probably a DarknessBot bug, but I couldn't flip the "Lock" switch off after I realized what happened. I'd swipe it off, and it'd default back to on, and the wheel would not be engaged.

In the end, I deleted the DarknessBot app, connected to the official Kingsong app, and it stood right up. Good as new.

Something to look out for for DarknessBot users, especially anyone using the Watch app.

Edited by Kommienezuspadt
  • Like 1

Okay. Sorry to be "that guy".

This is unrelated to the "Lock" issue. I'm noticing my suspension starting to stick just a bit. I've had it out in some dirty, dusty trails and the snow. I know the S18 has a water resistance rating and saw a video of Kuji just spraying the S18 down in the shower. Is that really okay? I know it needs a cleaning. Am I good to just place it in the shower and spray it off on all sides with a shower head?

39 minutes ago, Kommienezuspadt said:

**SOLVED**

I'm going to keep this up just in case anyone else runs in to this issue. I've been using DarknessBot and  keeping the app open on my Apple Watch to check my speed. Apparently, somewhere along the ride, I must have bumped "Lock". It's probably a DarknessBot bug, but I couldn't flip the "Lock" switch off after I realized what happened. I'd swipe it off, and it'd default back to on, and the wheel would not be engaged.

In the end, I deleted the DarknessBot app, connected to the official Kingsong app, and it stood right up. Good as new.

Something to look out for for DarknessBot users, especially anyone using the Watch app.

Wow scary!  Are you on the latest DarknessBot app version 6.1 (298)?

I've had my S18 for a little over a month with over 380 miles and enjoying every ride....and been using Darknessbot with iphone and apple watch 99% of the time and love it.  So far, no major hiccups...but I'll definitely keep a close eye on it.

8 hours ago, dsd317 said:

Maybe bent rim or tire shifted on rim?  Also check axle and axle mounts.

8 hours ago, RockyTop said:

You can set the EUC on its side with the tire close to a .... wall, door, chair leg etc. turn the tire by hand to see if the tire gets closer or further away from the wall. You can do the same with a little ingenuity to see it the tire or rim moves side to side. 
Things to look for: bulges in the tire, the tire not seating well to the rim, dents or bulges in the rim. 

4 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Big bummer! So glad your ok! Wheels can be fixed much easier than body parts.

I agree with @RockyTop and @dsd317 about checking the wheel/tire alignment. Keep us posted on your findings. 

Thanks guys..., will look into the wheel today...as advised

6 hours ago, Rehab1 said:

Sorry for the delay. I used a piece of 1/8 black abs plastic (Amazon) cut to shape and then riveted the lower section onto the mudguard and screwed the upper portion to the body.  This allows for easy disassembly if required. 

You don’t need this quantity of plastic for the mod but I also used the remainder to fabricate some protective side panels as well.

50545615177_d95c1d5c65_b.jpg

Thanks for the info!  I have a sheet of this stuff but never even thought of using it.  Appreciate the response!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kommienezuspadt said:

Okay. Sorry to be "that guy".

This is unrelated to the "Lock" issue. I'm noticing my suspension starting to stick just a bit. I've had it out in some dirty, dusty trails and the snow. I know the S18 has a water resistance rating and saw a video of Kuji just spraying the S18 down in the shower. Is that really okay? I know it needs a cleaning. Am I good to just place it in the shower and spray it off on all sides with a shower head?

You can. There are around 3 point where the S18 can get damaged by water.

Frontlight if you manage to spray water under it. 

Connection of the Motor and Sensor cable. Its covered in silicon glue so you shouldnt worry but its better to just not spray too much water at that part. 

And the Motherboard which is covered by the top cover. 

As long as the water current is not to high and you only spray the water from the top not sideways or upside down. 
You should be good. 

But it all depends. There might be some issues with first or two batches and i wouldnt be suprised if someone just forget or just didnt apply water sealent on some parts.