Gotway Suspension

Dang, beefy AF! I wonder if that might be why the rebound seems so harsh in some of the videos - higher pressure in the air springs to suspend even more weight. Makes the small-looking support rods look a little more iffy, haha. Still, looks like it could be a fun cruiser, potentially with torque for some fun =] Eager to see what the top speed will look like with that new motor.

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

But... Is this also a “20-inch” wheel that says 18” on the tire?

I believe so. Compare it to the "24 inch" Monster Pro in the picture with both wheels.

IMG_20200706_092234_028.jpg.587f6a473087

I still think labeling wheels by actual outer diameter is the way to go. But obviously some people disagree:P, so for you this would be an 18 incher, just like the Sherman.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrelwood said:

V11 travel is 8.5cm, S18 is 10cm. I might have the numbers off a bit, but I think V11 suspension was 15.5-24cm, and S18 14.5-24.5cm. The neutral riding height is indeed higher than on any other wheel thus far, so it will surely feel different.

I have ridden S18 - there is no substantial difference in stability. I like pedals higher - as even with MSX pedals you have to be quite careful when getting on the small curb while you are getting on it while turning - it is soo easy to hit the curb with inside pedal.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2020 at 3:31 PM, meepmeepmayer said:

Gotway.jpg

34 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I believe so. Compare it to the "24 inch" Monster Pro in the picture with both wheels.

The part that makes me suspicious is that the wheel seems to have the C-1488 tire, which has been a familiar choice since the pre-MSX 18” Msupers, and currently on the MSP. It doesn’t have the sidewall or the knobbies of Sherman’s off-road tire to reach a larger outer diameter than MSX/MSP. If they now call the MSP tire a 20” one, their exaggeration has indeed stepped up yet a level.

34 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I still think labeling wheels by actual outer diameter is the way to go.

So when you later on buy a Sherman from eWheels, you can select the wheel size 19”/20” from a drop down menu? :blink1:

• Like 1

GW claims that the wheel is larger than in MSX - I have asked for the exact type of the tire - maybe we will have finally some real data. 3500W motor with 2170 24s6p  on only slightly larger dia. wheel than MSX should give us plenty of acceleration ;-)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Wookz said:

I wonder what the price will look like on this? Bigger motor than the msp and suspension might put it like 2500 ish? 

And the costs for the bigger battery. It has 3 battery packs instead of the usual two packs in 1800Wh wheels (Nikola, MSP, MSX).

I think they may need to reduce their typical margin/planned price a bit to compete with the Sherman pricing. Good:efef77eaf5:

• Like 1

Someone was asking if 1800$ was enough    "almost enough" was the answer so hopefully it wont be that bad.

They said the system was totally different from  ks/inmotion so i am excited to see what they will come up with!

• Like 1

I assume from the pic above that this shell will explode on impact just like every other Gotway ever. I love everything about Gotway performance and yet I hate the build quality so much I can't bring myself to pay the asking price knowing it will look like a heap after a good crash.

• Like 2

Indeed, now some time has passed, first batch issues for even the other manufacturers are surfacing. With the introduction of suspension and a new motor, no doubt there will at least be a few issues. But the combination of these elements in a Gotway wheel is intriguing and may set this wheel apart:

-For sure, the fastest suspension wheel

-With the 3500w motor, potentially better acceleration and better at climbing than the MSP 

-Maybe more powerful braking vs Veteran

-If tuned correctly, perhaps the suspension will make up for the sense of safety and stability at high speeds compared to bulkier non-suspension >20 inch wheels

Build quality and unsightly suspension rods aside, I think this wheel has a chance to be a real performer and might have found the sweet spot. Fingers crossed!

Edited by FullTilt
  • Like 2

MSP has already the best performance on the market (except top speed) but this new motor will be insane for sure, we'll see how it perform on the Monster Pro

keep in mind this wheel will be more than 30kg for sure

According to GW

- weight will be around 37kg,

- tire size will be 2,75-14 - I am searching for conversion chart to find out how many inches outside it really has...   (If somebody could provide external tire size in mm or inches for 2,75x14  tire..... )

Edited by Lukasz
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

According to GW

- tire size will be 2,75-14 - I am searching for conversion chart to find out how many inches outside it really has...   (If somebody could provide external tire size in mm or inches for 2,75x14  tire..... )

37kg 😲😳 I was thinking this might be a good weekend cruiser, but dang, I definitely don't imagine wanting to commute daily with these dang stairs...  S18 or V11 on the weekdays, EX on the weekends, ha!
I want to see how the suspension mechanism is built. At 37kg, I'd definitely be concerned about durability if it takes a spill.
Per tire size, that's the same size that the MSP uses!

Edited by redfoxdude
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Lukasz said:

According to GW

A bit unexpected that this will weigh a tad bit more than the Veteran Sherman (35kg) given presumably a tad bit smaller wheel and battery. I guess the suspension system and motor are what tip it over the scale.

Well, think of it this way, the extra weight is approx. a 16" macbook pro. 

Curious to see how much the Monster Pro will weigh :efef77eaf5:

On 7/9/2020 at 8:02 AM, Planemo said:

I must admit I'm not keen on that either. One gets a 'feel' for where the bottom of the pedals are after riding for some time, primarily because its not much further than the bottom of your feet. Adding suspension in itself complicates matters because your reference is now constantly varying, but adding a big lump of metal even further below that would make me very nervous about off-roading. You're gonna have to be really careful about pedal/chassis strikes and for me that would take part of the fun away. Ironically, having no suspension when off-roading affords the best chance of not getting pedal strikes. I appreciate that the S18 and V11 don't have such metal monstrosities hanging off the bottom of the wheels but even so, under full compression I assume that both of them have considerably less pedal clearance than say an MSX?

I agree and I’m sad to say it because this “hybrid” design actually makes a hell of a lot of sense. The problem is definitely two-fold - the clearance and the fact that a strike looks like it could cause significant damage. What I’m excited about is how they can take this design and improve upon it to really get the best of both worlds of the S18 and V11. I hope they take the advice in this thread. 

And what engineer who rides one of these things designs this kind of padding?  Come on. 

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 1:04 PM, iode said:

Looks like they're going to the same suspension design as V11, for better or for worse.

Like #Apple, change design slightly, charge another 1k. Lol