Do you consider EUC riding a form of exercise?

ian5708

As a noobie who is still within the first hundred miles of riding, I can say that it definitely exercises (what passes for) my leg muscles.  I did a 3mi ride today and my legs were shaking by the end of it!  lol

The nice thing is that when you're THIS out of shape, it doesn't take much to make huge gains, so I doubt this will be a thing for long.

So perhaps the definition of whether it's exercise depends on how in/out of shape you are.

2 hours ago, Stillhart said:

As a noobie who is still within the first hundred miles of riding, I can say that it definitely exercises (what passes for) my leg muscles.  I did a 3mi ride today and my legs were shaking by the end of it!  lol

The nice thing is that when you're THIS out of shape, it doesn't take much to make huge gains, so I doubt this will be a thing for long.

So perhaps the definition of whether it's exercise depends on how in/out of shape you are.

it is only because youre very new.. to be expected, less than a hundred miles is absolutely nothing in terms of experience.. i could do 100 miles in one day and my legs would feel nothing xD

I like to stay in a squat for the majority of my rides unless im cruising at low speeds. I used to have baaad knee issues before i started riding, but riding built up the muscle and now my knees no longer crack. Not to mention I WAS doing exercises outside of riding to assist in being able to ride squatting longer. Only on super long rides do i reallly feel it, but my body feels it. After a good day of riding with the crew out here, even though I feel fine and wasnt panting or something throughout the day, i crash and sleep like a baby. So theres something going on for sure. 

I've juste been monitoring my HR recently.

I have a google watch. When I walk at a steady pace my HR is 112-115bpm. When I ride my wheel on the flat at my typical pace, its 114-118.  

This proves it's exercise.

Thanks to everyone who contributed.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 10:11 PM, Nic said:

Riding EUC is illegal in UK currently, so the only exercise you will get is avoiding police.

yes, but they generally don't enforce it. Its the same as people who park their cars half on the pavement. They don't genreally enforce it.

I'm just wondering if we were increasing our chances of being prosecuted for riding an EUC illegally and/or riding one and making an unnecessary journey during lockdown.

1 minute ago, ian5708 said:

yes, but they generally don't enforce it. Its the same as people who park their cars half on the pavement. They don't genreally enforce it.

I'm just wondering if we were increasing our chances of being prosecuted for riding an EUC illegally and/or riding one and making an unnecessary journey during lockdown.

Yes, you know you definitely are. Hell, just for the same simple reason that you are more likely to get stopped at night, if you're the only car around. I'd imagine right now, anyone seemingly standing out ANYWHERE in the world, is more likely to draw attention from local leo. What they do about it, probably entirely depends on their mood at the exact moment they see you.

The short version. It has a level of exercise to it. It depends on how and what type of ride you do. 

I have rheumatic diagnoses and pretty bad knee and lower back due to it. If I ride normally like commuting or backpack shopping it helps to keet symptoms at bay. If I don't ride within a week will my joints stiffen and pain increases.

If I go on long rides 30km+ I normally have a rest day afterwards. Same if I do harder off road tails. I will have a video example of that soon.

I hope the suspension models will mitigate some of my knee pain. Currently the V11 seems to be what I am settling for. Depends if my preorder book goes through or if it is sold out.

I still have my KS16X as hard trail work out. Or so it works for me. It is surely better than laying on the couch all day in pain.

I started riding for this reason and to get cheaper and easier into work. (1800m that I can't walk or ride cycle  due to terrain slopes. My knee just won't do it).

Edited by Unventor