EUC Food Delivery

Epic53

Hey y’all,

I was just thinking of a cool idea — EUC food delivery. Someone in the Toronto region has been working for a food delivery company, but unfortunately got into a pretty terrible accident. There is a video of her riding on Twitter (video below). I have known her for a while; and she broke her leg pretty badly, required surgery and placing metal screws and plates. She specifically told me that she was riding at 35km/h when she slid into the back of a car tire, and her legs just kinda pushed up into the body... ANYWAYS. I just wanted to ask for your opinion, should I not even bother, or should I just be extra extra cautious. I was thinking to set my max speed limit to like 20 or 25 km/h, and wearing knee pads and elbow pads. Also in the video, she’s riding pretty fast, on city streets, with minimal gear.

People already deliver on bikes, and bikes usually ride around 16-20 km/h on average. I live near toronto, in a sliglhty less popular area, more sidewalks — I think this would be a great side job, as it has decent pay and you work whenever you want. Since you get paid per delivery and per km, my V10f would be a money-making machine. I love riding, already put 3000 km on my wheel, and making money doing something i love would be just 👌

Edited by Epic53
  • Like 3

There was another guy that switched from bikes to EUC for food delivery. He had three V8s  that he kept charging and switched out during the day. He seemed to do well. Either way the delivery guys seem to be half crazy. 

Years ago we had a young women the rode a nice pretty pink moped around town as her main transportation. I would see her moped parked in various places down town and it always made me uneasy. I chalked it up to being a sexist fatherly type ... until I heard that she had been hit and killed. It has been 15 years and it still makes me sad ..... because I am a sexist fatherly type.  

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

@Epic53 EUC is the perfect PEV to match with food delivery services in urban cities IMHO, as you don't have to go through the hassles of locking up a bike, etc.

In NYC, there are more than a handful of guys I know of that have been doing it for awhile, and out of curiosity from them, I've done it on the side as well. 

Injury is a real component of doing delivery, so as long as you know how to maneuver the pitfalls of your city and have a good defensive riding philosophy, I think you're fine.

I'd advise though, outside of the usual gear, etc, that when delivering at night (or riding at night in general), there is no substitute for a proper handheld flashlight (plus backup flashlight and extra batteries), as riding in general requires you to see upcoming obstacles, and no built-in wheel headlight can do as good a job as a high-lumen flashlight that you can point and control brightness at will (not to mention flash cars that might not see you).

• Like 3

@houseofjob Really appreciate your feedback. Good idea about the handheld flashlight. Back in the olden days when i used to ride on two wheels, i bought myself a $120 flashlight 1100 lumens for my bike, and mow mounted it on my wheel. Also, wow I didn’t know there’s so many people delivering already in the US, very nice to see. I think the key to doing this safely is be a defensive rider. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I do it daily since 2020 in Helsinki, if you have good experience it’s a very good job. In first month riden over 2500km on my 16x, then broke my arm, riding on a snowy weather, got operation and metal plate installed. Now recovered after 2 months and started again to deliver with euc. I recommend to get a helmet and a wrist support - this is the minimum mandatory defense, also not riding over 40km/h. I have a telegram blog as a food deliverer on euc in russian where I put daily statistics and earnings. If someone is interested you can read it using google translate.

Edited by TimeslayerHS

• 5 months later...

Some updates, riden 10k km on 16x for half a year, bought an S18, almost 1k km now in 2 weeks. Turned out that s18 is much more better for delivery. I did set a new record of 10 deliveries/47 minutes with it. With 16x I had 10 deliveries in/1h3m.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

@MrRobotfirst off love the handle... I have a funco from defcon of you on my desk. :) 

Why not the large square, wind drag maybe? 

I just registered for DoorDash like 30 min ago to try this out on my v11 around Seattle and just recently picked up a 36qt packir backpack that I am using for picking up my own food.

A buddy of mine does this on his 16x around town and keeps saying I should for a side hustle.   :) 

10 hours ago, prasket said:

@MrRobotfirst off love the handle... I have a funco from defcon of you on my desk. :)

Why not the large square, wind drag maybe? 

I just registered for DoorDash like 30 min ago to try this out on my v11 around Seattle and just recently picked up a 36qt packir backpack that I am using for picking up my own food.

A buddy of mine does this on his 16x around town and keeps saying I should for a side hustle.   :)

I use a v11 working for a resturant and it definitely faster than the other guys on bicycles. 

I used to use a 18xl and the suspension and bright headlight is an amazing improvement 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2020 at 6:32 AM, Rikachu said:

I use a v11 working for a resturant and it definitely faster than the other guys on bicycles. 

I used to use a 18xl and the suspension and bright headlight is an amazing improvement 

I finally got out and did a few deliveries today. It was rather enjoyable and a great way to get around to customers. :D

Edited by prasket

On 4/5/2020 at 5:46 PM, Epic53 said:

she’s riding pretty fast, on city streets, with minimal gear.

Well obviously - don't do that.

Invest in proper gear and use it. Full face helmet, wrist guards, motorcycle jacket, knee guards, boots that cover your ankles.

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for a backpack that is expandable to fit 16"x18" pizza boxes, but collapses to part of that size when not using all that space. I'm not apposed to holding it sideways when carrying pizzas, but I would rather carry everything on my back if I can. Drinks are probably something I will have a separate container to just carry.

So far what I've tried, carrying a bag on my side hanging around my neck is uncomfortable, can restrict using a rear view mirror on my left wrist and seems slightly more dangerous being wrapped around the neck in an accident. Maybe I'm just doing that wrong?

• Like 1

Just caught this thread & yes I've seen some vids on YT using escoots as well as EUCs. I can definitely see the novelty of it all but lets not kid ourselves here, its not a very practical means of food (or other things for that matter) delivery. 

For the non EUC crazed, a 50cc (or larger) scooter would be much more practical. A fairly large rear luggage rack can be installed on most which will fit almost every size of food warming bags. Being gas powered, there is absolutely no range anxiety & gas mileage being ~100+mpg, a coupla dollars a day gas expense. Maintenance will also be very minimal if its branded (preferably Big 4 Jap, no offense against chinese clones).

Insurance will be minimal ($20/mth in my neck of the woods) & usually no license required There's no problems with either scootin around vehicles & parking is even simpler (FWIW I've parked my Suzuki Burgman 650 where bicycles park all the time with zero issues). Best of all, one can easily pickup a lightly used low mileage very minty 50cc for ~$1k. If one has to work it even in winter, there's lots of knobby choices available.

Why would anyone bother with using EUCs or eScoots or ebikes for that matter? Unless its for the novelty which then I say go fer it.

I never did find a "cinchable roll top insulated backpack" capable of holding a pizza box 18" square. I ended up just buying this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NSL2XZF/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_fabc_XMWWYH7S31CC1YN6EYXJ

I plan to just roll it up to pack either over the top or under another insulated backpack such as the Postmates 16" cube backpack.

• 1 year later...
On 10/18/2020 at 7:02 PM, MrRobot said:

@Epic53 I do food deliveries full time on my Sherman. I do lunches from 11-2 then come back charge take a break and do dinners from 5-8. The hours in between are slow so no reason to stay out during these times. I do it in downtown Chicago (downtown is best with a wheel since all buildings have elevators but you can usually just leave orders at the front desk) and the surrounding areas. Don't know what services are in Canada but I multi app with Grubhub and doordash and am very picky about what orders I accept. I try to keep them under 2-3 miles and will take multiples if they are going the same way. 

I have a cinchable roll top insulated backpack that can hold up to 4 separate large orders but can be cinched smaller so it doesn't act like a wind sail when it's not full (those big box bags don't work well on a wheel and trying to get in and out of restaurants while trolleying the wheel especially with restaurants with one door and then another door behind it entrances). It's big enough that I can turn it sideways and put pizzas in it I just have to hold it with my hands while riding then (looks ridiculous but it works lol). I also have a grubhub hand bag in a netting on the bottom if I need it. I keep a chain bike lock in the pocket of the bag in case I ever need it but use it very very rarely and only for a couple minutes. 

I go faster than traffic on the Sherman and don't have to sit in congested traffic when it's busy at rush hour. I stick to the middle of lanes 99% of the time and take up the whole thing. Extremely cautious about bike lanes though they're death traps here nobody looks when getting out of cars and they're basically just the shoulder. I definitely make more money on my wheel than when using my car and don't have to pay for gas either..or worry about parking/red light tickets 😉

On average I make about $180 (USD) a day. On busy football days I can make up to $250 a day. Pay attention to sporting events they will be your money maker days. That and Friday/Sunday. Saturdays are OK too but people like to go out then instead of ordering in. Rainy days are good too if you don't mind getting wet. 

Gear is absolutely necessary. Full face helmet, wrist guards, knee and shin and a reflective motorcycle jacket with armor are what I'd consider the minimum if you plan on riding at (or faster than) traffic speeds. Always assume nobody sees you and nobody uses a turn signal so gotta be on it all the time. I ride with one earbud in so I can get navigation and still hear traffic. 

Let me know if you have questions. I'm pretty comfortable with it at this point 👍

20200927_131445-01.jpeg

• 6 months later...