16x Cut Off and Repair Questions

Oscapuss

Yeah I also found 1.06 a bit off immediately. 

No incline.  Was riding on a flat paved road.  Took awhile to gain the confidence again to ride at higher speeds (also dropped max to 40 until healed fully).  Right when I'm loving it again and feeling confident....cracked rim.  I feel like I'm stuck in the big lebowski.  "It's ah..a bummer man.  It's a real bummer!".

Think it was just a 1 in a 1000 unlucky angle when hitting the sidewalk.  Concrete was probably just cut ahead of paving and had a sharp 90 degree angle.  Rim just couldn't take it.

I agree I dont want to sink anything into it.  Hopefully it's still reasonably safe to ride.  It wobbles a bit now, but I can live with it as long as I don'tdie riding it.  I still love the 16x, so it's painful.  I don't have the heart to take tire off to look how bad crack is right now. 

For next wheel I am cautiously looking at the S18, but it's not really a great time to buy a new wheel.  I have a feeling the pain of early adoption will be high on these suspension wheels (that being said, if I had suspension my rim would be perfectly fine right now).  The buyers remorse of buying a non suspension wheel may also be a vengeful bitch once improved second gen suspension wheels are released in a year or two.

It's a dilemma. 

• Like 1

That really sucks man.
My 16X wobbles a bit too. I can still cruise easy at 45kmh and sometimes carefully push to 50kmh.
Sometimes I think about the wobble and sometimes I don't. At high speed it sort of disappears. Or probably turns into some high speed frequency wobble lol.
It doesn't really matter though.

I just got back from a 65km ride and I had 30% battery left and was still able to do 40kmh.
I was riding with a KalyNYC rider... he has the XL50 with the biggest battery.
So I guess I could look a the bright side there... the ride would have been over  after 60kmh on my MSX.
He was getting low on battery after the ride. Sure his board is faster than mine but if the road isn't perfect he will slow down a bit.

In the end no matter which wheel we buy we will be happy but always lust for other wheels.
I ordered a Nik+ with the biggest battery possible (2664Wh) just so that I hopefully stop thinking about wheels for a while.
And getting throttled, etc.
Still the 16X is an amazing and playful wheel.

• Like 1

Yeah the wobble isn't unbearable.  Definitely still manageable.  More the rim coming apart that is of concern, but I would think it would take serious impact directly on tre crack to do that.  Wobble seems to peak around 20-30 km/h.

How did you find the Nikola compared to 16x?  I think I saw one of your vids where you were riding one.  Looks like lots of nice places to ride in your area.

Have yet to try a gotway wheel.  They seem like a lot of fun to ride, and durable.  Fit and finish are kind of irrelevant at a certain point.  If you ride them as they should be ridden, eventually you beat the shit out of them whether you want to or not.  At which point durability is king.

Everytime I buy a new wheel i say to myself "ALRIGHT this is the one.  THIS one I keep pristine and never damage!".  Never happens.  Think it's just part of a riders journey to let that instinct go.  

After this crash and rebuild, I'll never bother again unless it is imperative to functionality. 

The Nikola is very similar to the MSX. Something between the 16X and MSX but more MSX than 16X.
Kingsong and Inmotion feel like electric unicycles. Gotway feel much more planted like motorcycles.

I tried FW 2.02 today on the 16X and it definitely feels more stable compared to FW 1.05. But in the end they are just different.

Haha yeah there is not much point in overdoing it trying to avoid damage. There will always be some damage here and there. Like you say if it doesn't affect functionality it's fine.
You should try peeling of the tire and looking at the crack. Do you know for sure that it's cracked? Some people have used JB weld. Still.. the tire and rim hold everything together so I don't see any problem. Maybe it would be another story if you went crazy at a skate park doing high drops... or maybe that would be a good thing. The 16X is crazy fun at skate parks.

I didn't get much as a kid... and worked hard to get what I have. Somehow this hade made it very difficult for me to enjoy my money and enjoy my stuff.

• Like 1