KS 2.0 firmware update - can't

bbulkow

Hi!

I know I'm apparently the last person on the block to try the upgrade. I ride my KS18L for commuting, or, well, I did, about 3 to 4 times a week, and I just wasn't using the KS app, so still on 1.12. 12 was "just fine really", but I like the idea of silence, and I like the idea of more responsive, although I'm not crazy about losing range my commute never drops my wheel past 50% even though I don't charge higher than 80% unless I have to take the train to another city ( not much of that these days either ).

When I launch the app, and say "apply update", I get a blue spinning thing, and no progress indicator. It doesn't move in, well, forever ( longest I waited was probably 30 minutes ). I've tried starting and stopping ( android, using "kill" ), I've tried removing cache and storage from the app, I've tried rebooting the wheel.

Any tips? What's it supposed to look like when it starts?

( I've seen comments about bandwidth. I have plenty, and I could download the KS app from china in less than a minute, so the firewalls seem open )

Thanks in advance!

Edited by bbulkow
spelling
  • Like 1

Just about to try the upgrade again, and the KS app states I might want to update to 3.0 ( didn't say that yesterday ), and won't update the app either.

Anyone else seeing this?

Hey, at least my wheel still works! Just go out for a ride, Brian!

Read the thread, thanks. 

But thanks for the reminder to try EUC World.... WOW! A good app written by someone who knows what they are doing and isn't trying to make a social media platform! Updated the firmware in no time flat, redid the calibration, and I AM DONATING!

FYI, there is now ( as of yesterday ) a KingSong 3.3 version of the KS app, and it's somehow taken a huge step backward, even though it is a bigger download (80MB instead of 60MB as I remember?). Portions are not translated. Not that anyone should care any more because the EUC World app is so aweseome!

Edited by bbulkow
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bbulkow said:

Read the thread, thanks. 

But thanks for the reminder to try EUC World.... WOW! A good app written by someone who knows what they are doing and isn't trying to make a social media platform! Updated the firmware in no time flat, redid the calibration, and I AM DONATING!

FYI, there is now ( as of yesterday ) a KingSong 3.3 version of the KS app, and it's somehow taken a huge step backward, even though it is a bigger download (80MB instead of 60MB as I remember?). Portions are not translated. Not that anyone should care any more because the EUC World app is so aweseome!

On 4/3/2020 at 6:39 PM, bigwave said:

I would read this thread .....

Or, if your using Android ,use EUC World App. I have Apple so I use DarknessBot . The update took a couple minutes . Good Luck

Hi, I have a KS 18L with 1.10 firmware. I would like to upgrade to 2.0 firmware. I have an apple phone and use Darknessbot app. My issue is that it says its up to date but it only at 1.10. How did you update yours to 2.0 using Darnessbot? I don't see the Kingsong app in the app store. 

On 4/4/2020 at 7:23 PM, Shep said:

Hi, I have a KS 18L with 1.10 firmware. I would like to upgrade to 2.0 firmware. I have an apple phone and use Darknessbot app. My issue is that it says its up to date but it only at 1.10. How did you update yours to 2.0 using Darnessbot? I don't see the Kingsong app in the app store. 

You have to use EUC World. 

I'm an iPhone/Darkness bot user myself and it doesn't offer the 2.0 firmware. I had to use a friends android phone and download EUC Word to update the Kingsong. It's worth the trouble for the lack of whine alone. 

• Like 1

Yep, EUC World. Sorry, I'm not part of the Apple ecosystem. BTW, if you want the KingSong app ( which didn't work for me ) you have to go to KingSong website, it's not in the stores.

Glad to hear EUC world worked for you, I can't wait to get out and spend more time on my now silent wheel....

On 4/14/2020 at 3:08 PM, Roger Smith said:

i have a 18l and EUC world says my wheel is not supported to make the update, also the official app from kingsong says i have the latest FW yet I'm at 1.12 . Is there anything I can do ?

What you should do is at least avoid the new KS app. Your wheel’s serial number indicates that it is purchased from an unauthorized distribution channel (AliExpress or such), and the new app has or will soon have the ability to decrease the top speed down to 20km/h if connected to such a wheel. I don’t know how difficult the new hindrance will/would be to remove, or if you even can.

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

What you should do is at least avoid the new KS app. Your wheel’s serial number indicates that it is purchased from an unauthorized distribution channel (AliExpress or such), and the new app has or will soon have the ability to decrease the top speed down to 20km/h if connected to such a wheel. I don’t know how difficult the new hindrance will/would be to remove, or if you even can.

Wow ... I'm def not gonna spend 2k on a wheel like the 18l so they better not do this because I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't too, the day they actually use quality cells and make safe wheels that we can compare to a scooter then I'll spend this amount of money. 

I already tried to make the update with the new app but it just says 1.12 is the latest, now that I know this I won't ever use it again I guess ^^ , thanks ! 

That said, its strange that EUC world can't upgrade it either. Also tbh its a friend's wheel that he borrowed me, as I'm on a v10f myself. He got it in Sweden at a local shop  with a proper bill and taxes, so that's quite a scam if its an aliexpress resell. 

Edited by Roger Smith

1 hour ago, Roger Smith said:

they better not do this

KS sent an e-mail to official distributors earlier this year saying that they would.

That said, its strange that EUC world can't upgrade it either.

In order to have the functionality in the first place, both EUCW and DarknessBot authors had to agree not to enable the function on wheels that have the serial number marker they only put on wheels to be sold on domestic Chinese markets. Besides firmware updates, it prohibits calibration and speed settings on these third party apps.

He got it in Sweden at a local shop  with a proper bill and taxes, so that's quite a scam if its an aliexpress resell. 

Now that absolutely doesn't sound right. What's the fourth digit from the right (last letter) in the serial number?

2 hours ago, Roger Smith said:

0225 and then p004

From what I've been told, the letter P puts it in the range of the domestic China production wheel serial numbers. A local shop selling that wheel either got shipped a wrong wheel, or the serial number has been changed afterwards, or the shop deserves a bit of whoop-ass.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

From what I've been told, the letter P puts it in the range of the domestic China production wheel serial numbers. A local shop selling that wheel either got shipped a wrong wheel, or the serial number has been changed afterwards, or the shop deserves a bit of whoop-ass.

but how the domestics are upgrading their wheels ? I used a gps faker and vpn and it still doesn't work. 

The problem with local sellers is that, at least where I live (in paris), the prices are so ridiculously high that you rly can't buy anything there, a ks14 500wh is like 1200e which is 1300usd, a 18L is 2k euros or 2.2k USD, 2.5k euros for the XL version .. The fast charger that you find for 100usd at ewheels is sold up to 250euros ^^ (yes the price differ from a connector to another...).  If only it lasted but we all know it doesn't without loosing range and its safer not to keep such things more than a few years.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

but how the domestics are upgrading their wheels ? I used a gps faker and vpn and it still doesn't work.

In my understanding it also requires at least a KS account registered to China.

3 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

The problem with local sellers is that, at least where I live (in paris), the prices are so ridiculously high

I hear you. And this is why I think KS is a bit too eager in punishing it's customers. A blanket statement of "KS having some kind of fw blocking" is way too easy to remember and spread, even if it only affects Aliexpress wheels. There is great competion to choose if one is being unsecure of KS. An Aliexpress KS not sold is a KS not sold.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

In my understanding it also requires at least a KS account registered to China.

I hear you. And this is why I think KS is a bit too eager in punishing it's customers. A blanket statement of "KS having some kind of fw blocking" is way too easy to remember and spread, even if it only affects Aliexpress wheels. There is great competion to choose if one is being unsecure of KS. An Aliexpress KS not sold is a KS not sold.

I'll try to make an account that way then, gonna need a number generator etc, if it works I'll post the full DIY. 

21 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

I'll try to make an account that way then, gonna need a number generator etc, if it works I'll post the full DIY. 

IIRC someone was able to do it without spoofing the telephone number. Maybe by signing in with email instead of a phone number.

Just got a used KS16s yesterday. Was frustrated they pulled the KingSong App, since I couldn't really change the LED colors, etc. on with the Darknessbot app. Just tried the SoftTuner app on the iOS App Store and updated the firmware to 2.09. Wow the annoying humming sound while being powered on is now gone! I haven't ridden my KS yet with the updated firmware.