Android Watch Suggestions with EUC World

Hey riders. I know there are a lot of threads on this but I was hoping to get a few specific opinions from y'all and not wade through a bunch of threads. 

While learning to ride the biggest need I have is to be able to check speed, battery, change songs, and read time quickly and safely. The phone is not safe for me and takes concentration off the road for too long. 

I just downloaded the EUC World app. I have an older Motorola Z2 Play (planning to upgrade to S10 later this year)

Looking to get a decent and cheaper <$200 smartwatch with EUC World connectivity.

I'd prefer a more active style. No metal bands for me.

Anyone have a watch they love or at least one that gets the job done for less than $200?

Samsung, FItBit, etc.

Cheers everyone and stay safe during this crazy time!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Elliot_Mess said:

I just downloaded the EUC World app. I have an older Motorola Z2 Play (planning to upgrade to S10 later this year)

Looking to get a decent and cheaper <$200 smartwatch with EUC World connectivity.

I think you should start with Pebble watch. It will give you most important, instant readouts like speed, battery level, temperature and time. More, it will also give you vibration alarms (like overspeed, overtemperature, overcurrent etc.) and one customizable action (on button press). Pebble is cheap, simple, and have monochrome display that offers great readability in right sun. Battery also last very long.

Of course you can also go for any Wear OS watch. It will cost more and will provide more features, but also will drain watch battery faster. Samsung watch support will be available very soon, with "pros" and "cons" similar to Wear OS watch app.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Seba said:

More, it will also give you vibration alarms (like overspeed, overtemperature, overcurrent etc.) and one customizable action (on button press)

Does this also apply to the Pebble classic? I just got one and can't figure out which button it is...

57 minutes ago, buell47 said:

We will not accept this! :furious:

:roflmao:

Haha :D The only problem is that OLED display is power-hungry, regardless if this is Wear OS, Tizen or any other device. This is why Pebble with its simple RTOS and STN LCD monochrome display wins in terms of runtime on single charge. But there is good news - I plan to implement most possible power-saving mode that won't sacrifice responsiveness.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

Does this also apply to the Pebble classic? I just got one and can't figure out which button it is...

Of course - right center button.

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

Haha :D The only problem is that OLED display is power-hungry, regardless if this is Wear OS, Tizen or any other device. This is why Pebble with its simple RTOS and STN LCD monochrome display wins in terms of runtime on single charge. But there is good news - I plan to implement most possible power-saving mode that won't sacrifice responsiveness.

If my battery is empty, I can charge the Galaxy Watch on a break with my Samsung Smartphone with "Wireless PowerShare", so it's not a problem at all if this is the only bad thing. 😊

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, buell47 said:

If my battery is empty, I can charge the Galaxy Watch on a break with my Samsung Smartphone with "Wireless PowerShare", so it's not a problem at all if this is the only bad thing. 😊

Or just pull out USB charge dock and connect it an EUC USB port, if you are so lucky to have this.

Otherwise a power bank in a backpack do not add much extra weight. 

13 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Or just pull out USB charge dock and connect it an EUC USB port, if you are so lucky to have this.

Otherwise a power bank in a backpack do not add much extra weight. 

Galaxy Watch has no charging port 😅

Of course I could take a USB cable and the docking station with me, but that's additional stuff. 

Edited by buell47

Well my charge dock is same size as the watch. But with a use cable. 

4 hours ago, WI_Hedgehog said:

The Pebble Watch is discontinued. Is that an issue?

I've seen the $50 watch mentioned in other threads from a while ago, but is it still a wise choice?

It's a bit outdated, but still usable, great battery life and a very good option for an EUC stats watch. I just received mine a few days ago, bought it on ebay for €22.50 :D

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

I did a quick search on Amazon for "wear os watch" and this came up.  $75 on sale, colors are fine, does everything I could want.  Seems like a solid pickup.  I'd grab one but I gotta wait a week or two before buying all my EUC stuff. 

I had one JUST like it. It was nice, but i learned that it wouldnt do much, without a companion device to power it. It arrived promptly, looked really nice and they accepted the return very easily. I bought it directly from fossil (i abhor amazon). Just be aware that 'wear os' is not the same as android. You probably already know this, I didnt...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 2

Plus one on the Pebble Time.  It has a screen that you can read in sunlight even with sunglasses.  $63.95, new on eBay. 

@Seba has a video on setting up the Pebble Time.

I started with a Mobvoi Ticwatch.  Nice watch but useless in sunlight.

Bruce

• Like 2

does it work by itself, or did you HAVE to have a phone to set it up? Can it download the eucw app on its own or can you sync it to a desktop computer to install the apps? At that price point, if it can run eucw out of the box with ONLY needing to go online via wifi for app install, it looks to be the ticket for sure! Does the gps on it seem to be solid? My lemfo seems to get around 6-10hrs of wifi/bt/gps with screen on bright for EUCW. My fossill was useless out of the box, as it required a phone and a qc(?) reader to even get it to operate other than built in fitness BS. I have been known to wear safety gear at times. Ive yet to ride my euc naked, that counts....

AzXXpurchaseRide.thumb.jpg.b24a34d8ad4eebb07511a454d61b37e7.jpg

Edited by ShanesPlanet

8 minutes ago, ShanesPlanet said:

does it work by itself,......

If you're asking about the Pebble Time it does require a cell phone to run the EUC app and provide GPS. You need to have both devices.

I think your solution with the Lemfo is the only device that functions as a standalone.

Bruce

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Stillhart said:

@travsformation thanks for the thorough post.  You touched on pretty much all my concerns.  When I'm ready to buy, I'll be looking into my options but I like your line of thinking. 

Glad it was helpful. I sometimes wonder if anyone actually reads these rambling of mine... :whistling:

Holy responses Batman!

Haha thanks everyone I really appreciate chiming in on my new thread. I do realize I'm contributing to the problem of thread black holes. B)

Looks like the Pebble is the way to go for cheap easy solution. Off to eBay!

Thanks for all the knowledge. This forum and community rocks.

• Like 1