Lacroix/Kaly/etc. electric skateboards vs EUCs in terms of raw fun

StevenTammen

11 hours ago, AtlasP said:

Of the wheels I own and/or have ridden extensively:

• The smaller 16" x ~2/2.1" wheels, like the V8 and KS16S, are both light and extremely agile even at their highest speeds (although which are only ~17/21 mph respectively).
  • The larger 2.5"-wide wheels, like the V10F and KS18XL, are both a bit heavier and so ride like they have a bit more mass (a little slower to speed up and slow down), but still turn pretty great well into the low-to-mid 20s mph. (I haven't really ridden the KS18XL-specifically too close to its max 30 mph.)
  • I have around 500 miles on my 100v Nikola with its ~17" x 3" tire, and I have a love-hate relationship with it. I love the top speed, but I hate most everything else about it, in particular revolving around how it turns/handles (or doesn't, as the case may be). It's great for going fast in a straight line, but it just doesn't fscking want to turn once you get into the mid-20s mph and higher. (So in the teens mph it turns great, but there's some point in the low-to-mid 20s mph where turning just becomes impossible and it's like a light switch, not gradual.) I'm pretty convinced the 3" wide tire is the culprit, as it feels like what everyone complained about the 4.1" Z10.
    • Ultimately, if you want 100v speeds, you're stuck with a 3" tire. But if you're going to stay in the 20s mph or lower, I strongly prefer the 2.5" tire on something like the KS18XL. (So for example while I'd take a 100v Nikola over a (84v) KS18XL due to its speed, otherwise I'd take a (84v) KS18XL over an 84v Nikola any day of the week--specifically due to handling/turning related to so-called "gyro effect".)

Some context: I'm 5'9" and ~150 lbs, so a rider who's built differently than me might have a very different experience.

So it would be fair to say the gyro effect is more like "seriously resists turning" rather than "makes it a bit harder to turn?" (I.e., not gimmicky/low-impact, but a large overall effect?)

1 minute ago, StevenTammen said:

So it would be fair to say the gyro effect is more like "seriously resists turning" rather than "makes it a bit harder to turn?" (I.e., not gimmicky/low-impact, but a large overall effect?)

It depends what you mean by "turning". To be clear, all of these wheels can easily turn enough to stay on a mild-to-medium-windy path with no trouble, it's not that they literally resist any turning. It's more about how sharply you can turn and how much you have to slow down to do it. (Whereas on for example on a bicycle if you lean in enough you can take a pretty sharp turn without having to slow down as much. Narrower EUC tires are more like a bicycle in that regard, whereas wider EUC tires require you to slow down more--proportional to the sharpness of the turn.)

As to answering your literal question, the answer is probably somewhere in between, and people seem to disagree wildly. I'm not sure if the disagreement is due to differing amounts of acclimatization, or differing riding environments/riding styles, or perhaps a person's size/weight (maybe a lighter person like myself is more subject to gyro effect due to the weight ratio of the wheel to my own body, whereas a heavier person has an easier time counteracting it?), etc.

My son has a OW Pint. The other day we went for a "quick ride". I say that only because he had very little range. We mad it  about 5 miles out and had to return home.

I let him take my 16X out after our ride, he quickly decided he needs an EUC. I was like, "No kidding".

Edited by AngryJackPCB
Fix spelling
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

I traveling 36 miles an hour on my electric skateboard when I hit a rock.
I slid on the helmet for 10+ feet, breaking my collar bone clean in half. If I had not been wearing my helmet, I have no doubt I would be dead as an impact on the pavement at 36 miles an hour would have shattered bones and tearing...