Jump to content

V10/V10F overheating?


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a V10 or V10F as my first "real" wheel.  I live in a climate where it will regularly get up to 115F in the summer and I live on top of a small hill.  I was told the V10 had overheating issues in the past and therefore wasn't recommended for hot or hilly areas (or larger riders, which I'm not). 

Is it true the V10 had overheating issues?  Does it still?  What about the V10F?

Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t believe anything was ever really done about the problem other than except the limitations.They overheat with larger or more aggressive riders. If you are a smaller rider they seem to be awesome.  Well? Other than the waterproofing ..... and the cheep batteries. You can seal them up but the poor design only delays the water from getting in.  The ergonomics and ride are actually quite awesome. 
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RockyTop said:

Other than the waterproofing ..... and the cheep batteries. You can seal them up but the poor design only delays the water from getting in.

The water problem was really only on the first batch and was fixed. Now one of the best in this regard, double sealing. And the cheap batteries are on the V10, not V10F. 

About the overheating: I used to own V10F and got it to overheat once or twice in a year. Only when riding up a long hill at top speed. Yes it happens, but it’s not an everyday problem. I weigh 75 kg and the one time I remember was on a hot day. So you might encounter it but probably rarely. And if it does happen, you just turn it off and then on again and continue riding. The wheel is protecting itself from damage. 

I would not recommend buying a V10. If you like this series go for the V10F. Also, you might want to wait for the end of the week as Inmotion is introducing a new wheel this week. In the V10F price range the other options for you are Kingsong 18L or Tesla. But if you can spend more, I would recommend to go for the 2000$ price range of wheels. 

Edited by UniVehje
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Is it true the V10 had overheating issues?  Does it still?  What about the V10F?

 

 

14 hours ago, RockyTop said:

They overheat with larger or more aggressive riders. If you are a smaller rider they seem to be awesome.

This seems to be the state after the reports - by now it's quiet. Can't remember overheating reports lately?

Afaik the main difference between the V10(F) and "normal" wheels is, that they measure the temperature at the heatsink near the Mosfets. The other wheels measure somewhere at the mainboard.

So the V10(F) gets much faster and more reliable temperature readings of the burdened Mosfets. Could be they set the temperature threshold a bit to conservative with the first firmware versions.

With the other wheels the burdened mosfets on the heatsink have to heat up the air and then "slowly" the temperature rise arrives at the mainboard. So burden/overheat peaks take longer to be detected (in ?some/many? cases too late...) and it should take longer for the temperature to settle again...

 

Edited by Chriull
Link to post
Share on other sites

i have a regular v10 and iv NEVER overheated it, iiv had it around 5 months so its a fairly new model  but im certainly not some small kid, im a 38yr old adult around 6.4ft tall and weighing around 14 stone who everyday rides a mixture of regular roads/paths and trails/woods terrain (hills included)

Link to post
Share on other sites

So I'm getting really mixed responses.  It seems like it's still potentially an issue?  I'm not super heavy (175lbs) but I live somewhere hot and on top of a hill.  It sounds like it might be best to avoid the v10.

I wonder why no single v10 video I've watched mentions it.  Everyone seems to love it based on videos.  Same with the KS-16X... but come on here and apparently the 16X is super dangerous and you should avoid it unless you're a daredevil who doesn't mind the occasional faceplant.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to trust with all this conflicting information.  It's kind of frustrating.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Stillhart said:

I wonder why no single v10 video I've watched mentions it.  Everyone seems to love it based on videos.  Same with the KS-16X... but come on here and apparently the 16X is super dangerous and you should avoid it unless you're a daredevil who doesn't mind the occasional faceplant.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what to trust with all this conflicting information.  It's kind of frustrating.

That’s how these forums work. People come to talk about problems. If they’re happy they just ride. :)

Also, if the wheel is very popular the problems get mentioned more even if the rate is very low. 

Also remember that you will not find a wheel that doesn’t have some problem mentioned here. E.g. 16X has been selling at 600/month rate and there have been a couple of extreme riders who have experienced problems at high speeds on early versions. And V10F is overloading very rarely and it’s really not a big problem if it happens. You will most likely never experience that at your weight. I rode 4000 km on mine and I remember having it only once. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

With the V10F I rode it up to Lake Tahoe, Squaw Valley during the summer. It went about half way and got overheated, rest for a few minutes and kept going. That's the way the V10F is. I think KingSong 16x might not have overheating issues or might be more tolerant to warm environment since it does have a built-in fan for cooling. So I would pick KS16X because it is a stronger wheel--more torque, more power, more range. I think any wheel depending on the distance it has to climb...eventually might get overheated.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Stillhart said:

What about the V10F?

Thanks!

I have 1400Km on my V10F i RMA because my fan fail to cooling. They fix this. Anyway with cooling working and little hill or long no step incline i hit 80+ celsius fast. Many times v10f just overheat and stop balancing. You need wait some minutes to colldown. This is not fail V10F i am just too heavy and my use this EUC just make V10F no good for me.

This not mean V10F is bad i like how ride how light is how practical in public transportation is how smooth ride is. Is excelent FIRST wheel soon you realize like me is just not enouch. Save money and buy 16X limit it on 42km/h max and enjoy. Buy what you want here is JPG where you can see how bad handle heat in hills terrain( V10F hit 80-100 celsius in day temperature 6 celsius same route my 16X handle on 45 celsius on top of the hill) Gigantic diference and imagine V10 no have fan !. Again for city use V10F is amazing and is waterproof king on euc market. This tour is on 16x https://euc.world/tour/584404302845254 you can see how easy climb this hudge step hill under 50 celsius like nothing.

783755317_inmotionv10freklamace.thumb.jpg.5d7ef0934bd94fd84fbe4b6106056d77.jpg 

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Stillhart Why consider the V10(F) if it's got a reputation for overheating and you live in a desert on the top of a hill? What sort of range are you after? Are you going to be riding on roads or trails? Are you a speed demon or happy to go steady?

 

Edited by mike_bike_kite
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

@Stillhart Why consider the V10(F) if it's got a reputation for overheating and you live in a desert on the top of a hill? What sort of range are you after? Are you going to be riding on roads or trails? Are you a speed demon or happy to go steady?

 

Well I was considering it before I knew it had a reputation for overheating.  I have a thread in the "which wheel to choose" section with more details on my situation.  But basically I was looking at the V10 because of its reputation for everyone loving it.  Until yesterday, I hadn't heard that it could overheat.  I wish more (ANY!) Youtubers would have mentioned it.

I really don't want to spend 16x/18XL money if I don't have to since this is really just going to be a hobby toy for me. 

 

@DjPanJan Thanks for all the great info.  This helps a lot.

Edited by Stillhart
Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem is you've only stated one wheel you want. Why not state what you want it for? how much you'd like to spend?  distance you want to travel? on road/off road? do you think you'll ride fast or steadily? do you need to lift it up stairs? do you want to walk it through crowded places? Then people can provide some suggestions. 

Also, Inmotion is likely to announce some new wheels this week so there's a chance something new might come up or older models like the V10F might become cheaper (if you're still keen on that). It's also worth looking on places like aliexpress and gearbest to see if you can find cheaper prices that are more in range (obviously you'll lose out on the support of a local dealer that way). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

The problem is you've only stated one wheel you want. Why not state what you want it for? how much you'd like to spend?  distance you want to travel? on road/off road? do you think you'll ride fast or steadily? do you need to lift it up stairs? do you want to walk it through crowded places? Then people can provide some suggestions. 

Also, Inmotion is likely to announce some new wheels this week so there's a chance something new might come up or older models like the V10F might become cheaper (if you're still keen on that). It's also worth looking on places like aliexpress and gearbest to see if you can find cheaper prices that are more in range (obviously you'll lose out on the support of a local dealer that way). 

 

Sorry, I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying not to fill up this thread with information that I already put in the other thread (much of what you are asking is in the other thread). 

https://forum.electricunicycle.org/topic/17742-some-noobie-questions/

 

17 minutes ago, Zeno74 said:

I’ve been using the v10f for over 1 year, no issues at all! I’m 77 kg, I mainly commute but it’s a well balanced wheel and in my opinion safe!

 

I live in an area where it's 115F for a few months during the summer.  Have you ridden in those kinds of temperatures?

Edited by Stillhart
Link to post
Share on other sites

I had V10 since end of 2018. I'm 100kg and commuting is the main use for the wheel.

Last summer it overheated couple of times when trying to do crazy steep hills, but thas no issue, just reboot and walk awhile.

Waterproofing is fine, no issues in winter or summer rains.

One overpower happened when tried max acceleration to steep hill in low battery, wheellog showed that the battery sagged to 0%..

Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think that something as simple as an EUC seems to be, it would be easy to pick one out. Sorry not the case. The V10 is awesome in its own ways. It has high pedals, it is lite and affordable. If you are smaller or less aggressive than the wheel is a good option. 
 

The manufacturer of the V10 put the money in the parts that you see. The heart of the wheel is not as robust as the Gotway and Kingsong wheels. Kingsong is usually the best all around wheel. Gotway pushes the limits on speed and power and tends to skip some of the more refined areas. The Inmotion is less expensive for a reason. 
 

I would put the KS16X in the Gotway territory. The KS 16x is a nice wheel but I am not sure that the less aggressive riders use its potential. A less aggressive rider might be set back by the ride characteristics. Skill level makes a difference.
 

Notes:

1) As said this is the place people come to complain and a more common wheel will get more complaints. 

2) I don’t think many of us realize how aggressive or laid back others are. Some people are getting paced by Jazzy chairs while others are trying to keep up with dirt bikes on the trails. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had my v10f since it’s release. I’ve ridden the the 💩 out of this wheel and have never had it overheat. I’m sure if you were trying to overheat it you could. For the price it’s a great wheel.
I get about 34 miles of usable range, no better or worse than other 1000w wheels. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

I don’t think many of us realize how aggressive or laid back others are.

Exactly. This is what requires skill, experience, foretelling and luck to pick the right wheel from YT reviews.

Once I got well familiar with my MSX, I used to call myself an ”aggressive and fast” rider. I don’t call myself that anymore, after seeing what some (mostly Russian) people do on their wheels...

Edited by mrelwood
Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW, I don't intend to be aggressive.  I expect I'll come to appreciate max speed the more I ride but for now I'm too out of shape and I have small kids to worry about so I expect to keep it under 25mph for the most part.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m an 18 year old, 60 kg, put 3000 km on my V10f since last spring. Absolutely love the thing. Yea I know I’m lightweight, but taking this to school everyday isn’t necessarily easy for the wheel when I’m carrying calculus and physics books. I’ve actually got an overload once, and I realized certain patterns as too why. If you brake and accelerate repeatedly, that works up the motor significantly. Also, if you go up and down hills repeatedly, you might get an overload. Notice I said overload, not overheat. After the overload, I powered off and on, was good to go. The wheel is not programmed to audibly tell you it’s overheating, it only says overload. If it’s hot out, just take a 5 min break. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Epic53 said:

I’m an 18 year old, 60 kg, put 3000 km on my V10f since last spring. Absolutely love the thing. Yea I know I’m lightweight, but taking this to school everyday isn’t necessarily easy for the wheel when I’m carrying calculus and physics books. I’ve actually got an overload once, and I realized certain patterns as too why. If you brake and accelerate repeatedly, that works up the motor significantly. Also, if you go up and down hills repeatedly, you might get an overload. Notice I said overload, not overheat. After the overload, I powered off and on, was good to go. The wheel is not programmed to audibly tell you it’s overheating, it only says overload. If it’s hot out, just take a 5 min break. 

Thanks, that's very helpful. 

Based on this and other stuff I've read, unfortunately, I don't think the V10F is going to work for my needs.  RIP my wallet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...