Some Noobie Questions

Hi all!  I have a Ninebot E+ that I got on the cheap to learn on and I've been having a blast.  After hitting the speed limit rather effortlessly, I think it's time to upgrade to a "real" wheel.  I am glad I got a cheap one to learn on; I wasn't sure I would enjoy the hobby and didn't want to commit a lot of money.  But now it's time AND my wife has given me the green light.  :-D

So I've been watching videos, reading threads on here and reddit and generally just nerding out trying to pick a wheel.  I know from experience in other hobbies that, at this point, any of the ones I pick I will likely enjoy and I should probably just pull the trigger and have fun.  But I still have some lingering questions I hope you guys can answer.

Oh and for background, I have no plans to commute on it right now, it's mainly going to be for having fun messing around on the weekends, on streets and paved trails.  So I don't really value battery for range sake (though I understand that more range means less throttling on shorter rides).  And I don't plan on being much of a speed demon, so absolute speed isn't a priority either (though again, I understand that having more top speed makes it safer at lower speeds).  I'm basically looking for just a nice all-arounder.

Given that, it seems like the V10/F and KS-18L/XL are the two that I've seen most often recommended as "not the best at anything but does everything well and everyone just likes it".  The V8 gets some love but I have seen a lot of commentary that it gets outgrown quickly and I'm fine to skip that stepping stone.  The V10/F is a lot more in my budget, but there are occasional deals on the 18L/XL and I could be tempted to push my budget if I can find one (new or used) for under $1500.

My biggest question mark right now is actually the Gotway Tesla v2.  I know the Tesla is a relatively older model but the V2 refresh is pretty recent.  It's in the same price range as the V10/F but it has the motor and battery specs of the KS-18L.  How relevant is the Tesla v2 these days?  I see most people talking about the MSX and Nikola, Tesla seems forgotten.  On paper it seems like a good choice to add to my list.

Anyways, between the V10F, Tesla V2 and KS-18XL which would you recommend and why?  I'm leaning toward the KS-18XL overall but it's just a bit out of my budget and I don't want to get my heart set on something that I'll be depending on a sale or used one to be able to get.  That means, the V10F or Tesla v2 are the most realistic choices for me right now.

(Yeah, I overthink these things.  :D)

EDIT - Oh one more question:  it gets hot here in the summer.  Are any of these less dependable than the others in extreme heat (say 115 F)?

Edited by Stillhart
  • Like 1

Nice to see that you’ve already done your homework! Can’t choose wrong with that attitude.

I think the Tesla might’ve lost it’s spotlight mainly due to the ”old fashioned” narrow tire. It and the lower shell make it feel like a much smaller wheel than the V10(F), which is relatively close to the riding feel of the 18(X)L. While the motor on the Tesla should be as beast as on the others, I can imagine stability getting weaker quite soon when getting up to speed.

I don’t know what the current status is, but the V10F at least used to have an issue of overheating easily. Heavier rider or long inclines have been a reason to skip the V10, and your climate surely wouldn’t make the situation any better.

The 18XL is a very nice wheel and often the safest choice to serve the purpose. While at 193cm and 100kg I’d choose an 18” wheel every time (except for tricks and idling), much smaller riders could prefer a smaller wheel for other than travel oriented riding.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Nice to see that you’ve already done your homework! Can’t choose wrong with that attitude.

I think the Tesla might’ve lost it’s spotlight mainly due to the ”old fashioned” narrow tire. It and the lower shell make it feel like a much smaller wheel than the V10(F), which is relatively close to the riding feel of the 18(X)L. While the motor on the Tesla should be as beast as on the others, I can imagine stability getting weaker quite soon when getting up to speed.

I don’t know what the current status is, but the V10 at least used to have an issue of overheating easily. Heavier rider or long inclines have been a reason to skip the V10, and your climate surely wouldn’t make the situation any better.

The 18XL is a very nice wheel and often the safest choice to serve the purpose. While at 193cm and 100kg I’d choose an 18” wheel every time (except for tricks and idling), much smaller riders could prefer a smaller wheel for other than travel oriented riding.

Thanks, this is super helpful.  Regarding the heat and hills on the V10, my city isn't super hilly, but I do happen to live at the top of a small hill and I have been worried about that in the back of my mind.  I assumed getting a bigger motor would make it a non-issue, but perhaps I was wrong.  I'll have to do more research on this issue with the V10 and see if it still affects the V10F.

As to size and weight, I'm 6ft and 180lbs (182cm and 81kg) so I figure I'm fine for any of the wheels I was looking at. 

In your case I would suggest the KS18XL. It is the best quality wheel mentioned. Now if you just wanted the best all around dependable wheel? ........I would still suggest the KS18XL. Until you start frothing at the mouth about speed, or say you want to learn to dance while riding a wheel, I suggest the KS18XL. 

Me- :w00t2:MSX:w00t2:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stillhart said:

I'll have to do more research on this issue with the V10 and see if it still affects the V10F.

To correct myself, the issue was reported always on the V10F, and I’m only guessing the V10 would suffer from the same. The V10F is just much more popular than the V10.

A firmware update might have changed the overheat warning threshold. But even if it didn’t, a single hill should not be causing any issues, it should only be of consern if going up a hill for a minute or longer.

@Stillhart I purchase my first wheel (KS-18XL) in mid February which now has 550 km on it and a Gotway Mten3 67v in mid march which I've put almost a 100 km on it.

In both instances ,like you're self ,I asked members of the Forum their opinions on wheels which would be a good choice for someone my age and background. I started a thread 

It has some excellent information about the KS-18XL and a couple other wheels that were on my radar (Nikola Plus, KS16X). I did not inquire about Inmotion basically due to my weight (205 lbs) vs battery/motor size. The general consensus was the 18XL was the best choice and i'm 100% satisfied with my purchase.(from @Jason McNeil at EWheels). The Mten3 was something I researched and purchase the 67v/420w version on the recommendation and videos of @Marty Backe

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

In your case I would suggest the KS18XL. It is the best quality wheel mentioned. Now if you just wanted the best all around dependable wheel? ........I would still suggest the KS18XL. Until you start frothing at the mouth about speed, or say you want to learn to dance while riding a wheel, I suggest the KS18XL. 

Me- :w00t2:MSX:w00t2:

I can second the above statement about the 18XL totally. That speed thing is creeping up so my next thread will be about wheel number 3? :clap3:

Good luck with your purchase!

• Like 2

Man, it looks like the overheating issue on the V10F is something I really need to consider.  It's hot around here much more often than it's not, so I think I should probably go for something that's not prone to overheating.

Now it seems like the Tesla might be my best choice if I don't want to spend 18XL or 16X or MSX money.  Of course with the confirmation that they're no longer making the MSX, maybe I can snag an 84v cheap once they go on clearance.  I do worry about the reports of uncomfortable pedals tho.

Okay, another noob question here (sorry, didn't want to start a whole new thread):

I see that EUCO sells a 777 Wh version of the KS-16X for $500 cheaper than a normal one, and a battery for $500.  I'm guessing I can upgrade it later to a full 16X for basically the same price as a full 16X in total.  If so, I'd strongly consider getting one of these as well.  I realize the range on it will be pretty pitiful, especially with aggressive Kingsong throttling, but I don't really have any plans to go long distances with it just yet.  And if I find myself really dying for more battery, seems like a simple upgrade away.

Thoughts?

I did not know that a 777wh KS16X existed. If the wheel was made to be sold that way by Kingsong the throttling will occur at a higher battery level percentage  than the regular model. When you add batteries latter the wheel will still throttle at the higher battery percentage . This will cause the wheel to throttle for a very long percentage of the battery cycle. 

Say the original 16x throttles at 25%. This newer model probably throttles at 50%. When you add batteries it will still throttle at 50% unless the software is changed.

13 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Okay, another noob question here (sorry, didn't want to start a whole new thread)

Everyone: Please do make new topics if you want to! Don't feel you need to hold back. In doubt, it's always better if a new topic is created and information is visible for newer members (even if it is repeated, which isn't even bad in itself), than only having that information hidden in some long ass unrelated topic where nobody can find it later.

@Stillhart Rightly you already did create your own topic later :thumbup: - 16XS discussion can be continued there:

• Like 1