Airwheel x8 motor power rating?

RokasK

So I am planning to do a DIY build and replacement of my Airwheel X8 battery and I want to max out the capacity in the limited space. I don't want to risk pulling too much power out of the pack if I go full speed so I tried finding the power rating of the motor. Weirdly, that ended up being a very odd endeavor - the official webpage does not give that information anywhere (we'll see if they respond through a FB inquiry). Went through 3 google result pages and 1 instance said 400W,  6x 800W and 1x 1500W. 

I opened up the wheel itself, the battery pack says it has 18650NC1 which would make them Sony US18650NC1 with a rated 2900mAh capacity and 8amp max power draw rating. 3.7V x 8A x 16 cells/pack = 473.6W. 

I don't have any contextual information about other wheels, so this is why I write - do you think 800W is possible for this weak little wheel?

P.S. Oh yeah, the mandatory self lashing - I know the X8 is garbage, I know their BMS is not the greatest, I know there are more powerful wheels out there. Anything I miss?

Edited by RokasK

1 hour ago, RokasK said:

Anything I miss?

The mosfets are normally the weakest link. If one increases capacity by putting more cells in parallel, they can deliver more current and overheat/burn them.

The motor is normally one of the strongest parts and one does not really need to waste thoughts on it.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chriull said:

The mosfets are normally the weakest link. If one increases capacity by putting more cells in parallel, they can deliver more current and overheat/burn them.

The motor is normally one of the strongest parts and one does not really need to waste thoughts on it.

Knew I must have missed something :D

Thank you for the heads up. Nothing so drastic, just thinking of upgrading the batteries from 2900 to 3500 mAh but keeping their rating at the same 8A.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RokasK said:

I know there are more powerful wheels out there. Anything I miss?

@RokasK   Just a reminder.  DIY build and  nS1P leave NO room for error. One cold (or broken) solder joint and ... :facepalm:

There will be NO significant gain because of increased capacity. If your batteries are weak save your money and buy better stuff. At best if you are short of money buy a used better wheel...

You can buy a dirt cheap NB S2 that has two packs in parallel. This what is what I bought during my stay in Mexico.

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

Just now, pico said:

@RokasK   Just a reminder.  DIY build and  nS1P leave NO room for error. One cold (or broken) solder joint and ... :facepalm:

There will be NO significant gain because of increased capacity. If your batteries are weak save your money and buy better stuff. At best if you are short of money buy a used better wheel...

You can buy a dirt cheap NB S2 that has two packs in parallel. This what I bought during my stay in Mexico.

I get what you mean, playing with batteries is like pouring gasoline next to a candle. But I am a slow and careful rider and the wheel has satisfied my needs up until now, I just don't have too many reasons to ditch it (and the investment of buying it last year). I like using tools to make something that I need and that's why I'd rather invest the money in buying a spot welder, quality 18650 batteries, a charge doctor (if they still sell it) and other related toys. I still plan to ride out this summer on the the pack I have and maybe next winter take up the project, so still a lot of time for research.