18L upgrades worth it?

GothamMike

How much would a new battery cost, if you can even buy one?

Likely it's cheaper and easier to sell the 18L and buy a new 18XL. Then you don't lose the value of the 18L battery (not sure who would buy that from you).

36 minutes ago, GothamMike said:

Is the firmware ready to support?

I'm sure @The Fat Unicyclist can answer that.

• Like 3

I guess it depends on how much range you need. If the existing battery suits your needs and you're not getting speed throttling then getting a larger battery will just cost money and make the wheel heavier. Unless you have issues with the current motor then I'd stick with it, it's supposed to be one of the most reliable motors out there. A nice improvement might be getting the XL pedals though.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2020 at 12:18 PM, GothamMike said:

Two upgrades for the 18L

-Battery Upgrade

-New Motor 2200

Are they worth it?

Is the firmware ready to support?

Battery Upgrade... NO, not worth it.

New motor... maybe but probably not as the 2kw is great(upgrading is more feasible if your current motor has an issue)

trolley handle... worth it once the old one breaks

Big pedals.... Worth it if you havent itsy bitsy chinese feet

Rollnz cover..worth it if you want comfort and protection

Second charger.. Worth it if you regularly find yourself waiting on a charge to finish.

Firmware for upgraded motors has been released

My 18L has big pedals, xl trolley and a cover. I also have a spare charger. I dont see any feasible upgrades beyond that. The 18L is what it is, and youll do better buying something else if it isnt fitting your requirements. I WOULD consider a battery upgrade IF my current pack was bad. But at $1000 for a pair of packs, I'd more likely turn the wheel into a parts wheel and shop for another or browse the newest tech offerings. The price of batteries makes these wheels a somewhat 'disposable' item and it saddens me...

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

I also have an 18L with the extra large pedals, improved trolley, and old 2000kw motor.  Riding 20-25 miles is more than enough for me, and having that second charger makes the smaller battery pack less of an issue for me.  

33 minutes ago, Waverider216 said:

I also have an 18L with the extra large pedals, improved trolley, and old 2000kw motor.  Riding 20-25 miles is more than enough for me, and having that second charger makes the smaller battery pack less of an issue for me.  

Big pedals, upgraded trolley, 2kw motor, rollnz cover, as good as itll get on this model.

Im watching mine charge on the single stock charger right now from near zilch and it gets to 95F. A faster charge wouldnt help me yet, as my legs need time to charge too. I think the slower you charge it, the easier it is on the batteries. I dunno, but waiting around for 5hr vs 10hrs is a moot point for me.  I also like to allow time for the batteries to cool from use, before pounding them with heat from charging. Maybe a waste of time, but until my legs beef up, it doesnt really matter.

Edited by ShanesPlanet