Slime is the most known innertube puncture preventative, but which do you go by (if any)

someguy152

So I decided to investigate a bit by going to a source I have some confidence in. After seeing a comparison and show of what the products do I've come to the opinion that I don't want to put these into a tire. I think a rider is ultimately better off by being ready to properly fix or replace a tire after a cab ride home.

Also I know from professional experience that you are generally well served by not trying to get every last mile out of a tire, when they get worn down to 40% or less you should be thinking about changing that tire. Especially if you are depending on the vehicle as commuter transportation or as a straight up work vehicle. A thinned thread is just that much more vulnerable to punctures.

Edited by Roadpower
Rewrite

Yeah I can appreciate not having access to a cab or a ride in the event of a break down so you will have to plan in a way that meets your needs. I wonder why someone would ride on a flat though, especially a EUC where you should be able to feel it immediately. I know from motorcycle riding that a low or flat tire condition jumps right out at you. I think a large part the reason why I personally don't like the idea of using Slime is that I live and work in NYC, worse comes to worse it is generally super easy for me to get on a train or a bus or even call a Uber. So for me Slime just becomes another complication.

:)

By some strange coincidence I just put slime into my 16S yesterday. The air in my tyre was always needing topping up once a week and hopefully now it will hold better. I was prepared that the job might take me some time but the whole job was done in under 5 mins. I bought the smallest Slime which was is designed to do a pair of bicycle inner tubes. I used about half. Cost under £10. 

Contrast this with the puncture I got in my tubed Royal Enfield motorbike. The rear tyre went flat almost instantly - I wouldn't like to try that on an EUC at speed. It also meant I had the choice of calling a pick up truck or riding it the few miles left to my house and risk damaging the rear rim. In the end I just put all my weight on the handle bars and road as carefully as I could. Changing the inner tube still turned out to be a pain though not as much of a pain as it can be on an EUC, I'll soon be putting Slime in the rear tube of the bike.

• Like 1

Changing the tire is also more of a PITA on a EUC, I prefer dealing with the slime mess rarely than with a clean tube more often. It also makes topping up less frequent.

i use Decathlon brand because it was available in stores, can’t say about performance.

Edited by null

48 minutes ago, scotchtape said:

I use ride-on balancer and sealant.

So many stories of how crappy slime is, don't know it became so popular on EUCs but someone did good marketing...

Slime dries out, why would you put that stuff in...

Another recent thread addresses this. I recall reading that slime DOESNT dry out in a tube, as theres no where for it to leave nor anyway for the transfer of air. For it to dry out, the moisture would have to escape, and a tires is a sealed unit (aside from when filling).

Edited by ShanesPlanet
  • Like 1

Slime is nasty, but fix-a-flat is deadly. Never had much luck out of using slime, maybe someday I'll try again. For now.. fingers crossed the mten factory 'slime' will work IF it needs to.

Sounds like you have a valve stem leak or puncture. If it IS filled with slime and still leaks, i fear its a moot point about if the slime hardens or not. Try spraying the tire down with dish soap and water and find the leak.

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I've switched from Slime to White Lightning Tube Armor which is supposedly longer lasting. I've had Slime fail on me before, but the gash was over 2.5 inches wide and I don't think anything could've survived it, otherwise it's plugged up many small holes caused by goathead thorns. My opinion, after all my research, is that anything with Kevlar is currently good stuff. 

Edited by tihoa
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 6:47 PM, ShanesPlanet said:

Slime is nasty, but fix-a-flat is deadly. Never had much luck out of using slime, maybe someday I'll try again. For now.. fingers crossed the mten factory 'slime' will work IF it needs to.

That's my experience as well. I have taken to buying eBike tires for my EUCs.

The Continental Contact Plus that I've have just bought for my KS16S isn't quite like any bicycle tire I've seen. It has several Kevlar belts to stop punctures, and it's specific to class 3 eBikes. I think it'd be rather hard to pedal this tire if you mounted it on a bicycle.

Edited by LanghamP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...