Newbie question

Michael Mckowen

You are doing pretty well.

I learnt successfully to go backward on worse than that (Airwheel X3!) Just be to ready to bail out.  Learn to milk the power...(no sudden changes) and pad your back and be ready to fall or dismount.

Learning on a small wheel for tricks is actually highly beneficial IMHO.

Practice, practice. For tricks this is NOT the wheel that makes the difference...

The rider is 99.5% ( I own 6 wheels and still practice on the X3!)

If you are eager to go at 48.68723mph just disregard all of the above!

Cheers!

Edited by pico
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, pico said:

You are doing pretty well.

I learnt successfully to go backward on worse than that (Airwheel X3!) Just be to ready to bail out.  Learn to milk the power...(no sudden changes) and pad your back and be ready to fall or dismount.

Learning on a small wheel for tricks is actually highly beneficial IMHO.

Practice, practice. For tricks this is NOT the wheel that makes the difference...

The rider is 99.5% ( I own 6 wheels and still practice on the X3!)

If you are eager to go at 48.68723mph just disregard all of the above!

Thanks, I don't need to go fast lol. I just wanted to know if going backwards was possible so I will keep practicing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael Mckowen said:

Thanks, I don't need to go fast lol. I just wanted to know if going backwards was possible so I will keep practicing.

The short answer is yes but: I would always practice with a full and warm battery AND I would definitely put some grip tape on those pedals! :)

• Like 1

I am wondering if the wheel may be holding me back on skills or should I just keep practicing on it?

Your doing very well! It is clear that you are interested in pushing the limits on what your IPS was designed for. While you sure can learn to reverse and do all kinds of tricks on your IPS, everything would be easier with a modern wheel better suited for the task. I think depending on wether your goal is just to spend time and have fun or to learn a lot of skills, that is or isn’t a good thing.

The most obvious differences between the IPS and modern wheels are both the sense and the actual amount of power. The IPS is very soft, and it takes a bit of time to ramp up the power even for very small bumps. And indeed for going from forward to reverse as well. Any modern wheel would feel like standing on railroad tracks going over those cliffs, or when switching to reverse. The difference is for sure bigger than you can even imagine.

While you can clearly have a lot of fun with the vintage IPS, you have already been able to pinpoint the aspects that you feel are lacking. It would be cool to see what your skills would develop into on a more modern wheel! The much larger range and top speed could also replace a bicycle or even a mc/car in a way that the IPS just can’t.

It’s a very different hobby to noodle around at the yard, or to travel 30 miles visiting the neighbouring city and peaking above 30mph, which is what my riding was today. Or to get all sweaty fighting obstacles on mountain bike trails and cliffs for two hours, which I will again do a lot when it gets warmer.

If you want more, you definitely deserve it! If you can budget for the cost, I’d say go for it. 

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Your doing very well! It is clear that you are interested in pushing the limits on what your IPS was designed for. While you sure can learn to reverse and do all kinds of tricks on your IPS, everything would be easier with a modern wheel better suited for the task. I think depending on wether your goal is just to spend time and have fun or to learn a lot of skills, that is or isn’t a good thing.

The most obvious differences between the IPS and modern wheels are both the sense and the actual amount of power. The IPS is very soft, and it takes a bit of time to ramp up the power even for very small bumps. And indeed for going from forward to reverse as well. Any modern wheel would feel like standing on railroad tracks going over those cliffs, or when switching to reverse. The difference is for sure bigger than you can even imagine.

While you can clearly have a lot of fun with the vintage IPS, you have already been able to pinpoint the aspects that you feel are lacking. It would be cool to see what your skills would develop into on a more modern wheel! The much larger range and top speed could also replace a bicycle or even a mc/car in a way that the IPS just can’t.

It’s a very different hobby to noodle around at the yard, or to travel 30 miles visiting the neighbouring city and peaking above 30mph, which is what my riding was today. Or to get all sweaty fighting obstacles on mountain bike trails and cliffs for two hours, which I will again do a lot when it gets warmer.

If you want more, you definitely deserve it! If you can budget for the cost, I’d say go for it. 

Thank you for your input its all very much appreciated. My uncle has the Inmotion v10 so that was the first wheel i ever tried although I haven't had much time on it, but I could feel the difference even as a beginner which is why I was asking about the IPS capabilities. 

• Like 1

Hello again,

Yesterday I learned to do a rolling mount I was pretty happy with that. I can now dismount with a bit more confidence as well. 

These are small things but it makes it much easier to ride when these are no longer things you worry about lol

Thanks again for everyone's opinion

• Like 1