Tesla 84v Controller

7 hours ago, zoomr said:

What is the maximum continuous current that this controller can handle? The MOSFETs are labeled as 100v, but I can't find any information about the controllers ability to handle current.

The maximum current this controller can handle depends on the cooling situation (the heatsink in the wheel is the limit) - so mostly on ambient temperature and driving speed (air speed for cooling).

Afair @Marty Backe has set his (motor) current alarms with wheellog/EUC World for GW wheels somewhere about ~80A. If they beep to often/frequently he releases burden - so i'd assume this currents are in the range of what the controller cannot take continously.

Depending on the enviromental situation some 50-60 (?70) A could maybe reached continously?

To get some "real" numbers for your wheel log some long hill climbing tracks with EUC World (or similar) and watch the temperature. Best to have some track with quite constant incline one can drive at quite constant speed so a constant burden can be achieved (no de/accelerations).

Although the temperature is measured ?somewhere on the mainboard? and not on the heatsink directly beside the mosfets it shows with some delay the controller burden. Once the temperature is not settling at some value (below overheat alarm) the current is above the the maximum continous current the controller can handle.

The MOSFET's datasheet show some maximum current for the current of (?way?) above 200A. But this is only guaranteed if one can cool the junction temperature to 25°C with this burden which is practically (as good as) impossible.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

The MOSFET's datasheet show some maximum current for the current of (?way?) above 200A. But this is only guaranteed if one can cool the junction temperature to 25°C with this burden which is practically (as good as) impossible.

Probably some short duration impulse.

38 minutes ago, xorbe said:

Probably some short duration impulse.

Normally also this is given - like in the datasheet of the HY3010P: 

I DM - Pulsed Drain Current - 380 A

I D   - Continous Drain Current - Tc = 25°C   100A

- Tc = 100°C 74 A

And at the diagram section normally a "Safe Operation Area" diagram is given for more details...

PS.: Here (and afair in most other datasheets?) it's the case temperature and not the junction temperature given for some max continous current. So it's a "bit easier" to achieve the cooling...

20 hours ago, Chriull said:

Depending on the enviromental situation some 50-60 (?70) A could maybe reached continously?

My core question is determining if a higher current cell like a Sony VTC6 might be advantageous over the Gotway standard Sanyo 18650GA in terms of both safety and usable capacity due to the lower resistance/voltage drop.

My use case would be a Gotway Tesla 84v 1020Wh, 1900?/2000?W motor, shooting for average speed around 20mph and no more than 25mph.

Based on the following info, it would seem that at a 10W continuous discharge/cell (800W total for the Tesla 84v 1020Wh) that usable capacity (down to 3.4v or ~10%) is approximately equal. Presumably the VTC6 would retain more usable capacity at >10W discharge/cell. 

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh (Red) UK.html

https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sony US18650VTC6 3000mAh (Green) UK.html

IMG_6618.jpg?csf=1&e=ktTej1