Ninebot mini confusion

Cranium

Ninebot has announced their mini which is not an electric unicycle but I figured I would bring it up anyhow. :)

http://www.ninebot.com/ninebot/ninebot-mini/index.html

I did a search to buy one (potentially for my son in college) instead of the Ninebot One E+ that I just bought because I like it too much and don't want to give it to him.  lol.   I'm thinking that the mini may be better with a backpack of books and laptop than the EU.  I also like that it has 10" wheels rather than the smaller scooter wheels the others have and I like the steering as well because it simplifies the construction of the unit.    But I would like to hear what others think about this as well.  I would get whichever would be better for him getting around on campus.

The confusion I have is with the other company Xiaomi.  They are apparently investors in development of this with Ninebot but it appears they have their own version that I stumbled across on Alibaba.  I was about to order one today (11.11 sale has it at $480 shipped) but then noticed differences.  In the press releases, it seems they are one in the same but just different names (same motor power, battery, distance rating, etc) but the Xiaomi device doesn't appear to have an adjustable leg rod.  I also didn't see Bluetooth remote control capabilities noted in the descriptions.  So to me, the press has it all wrong.  They are two distinctly separate products with similarities but with the Ninebot mini being an upscale version with some unique additions.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Xiaomi-Ninebot-Self-balancing-Scooter-mini-Car-Two-Unicycle-Wheels-700W-16km-h-22km-Long-Mileage/32505217409.html

Just my 2c: Backpacks on EUCs are not a problem, if he can walk with the backpack on his back, he can ride the uni as well. And unicycles look way cooler than twowheel scooters of any kind. ^_^ but I might be biased as a 9B1 owner...

The one you saw on Aliexpress is actually supposed to be sold only for China market.

While those on official Ninebot website are for International Worldwide market, called Ninebot Mini Pro.

And AFAIK is not released for public market yet.

Price is already back up from $480 to $565.  Not going to buy the Xiaomi one from Alibaba because there is no longer any price advantage and the features are a bit lacking compared to the Ninebot Mini Pro.  

z3n, you are right that the Mini Pro isn't available yet even though the release date was 11/1.

Jag_Rip, I agree the Ninebot One shouldn't be a problem but I would prefer to give him a choice of which works better for him.  If he doesn't find the EU easy and convenient to use, I will have wasted my money (but would then have a spare).  

Xiaomi version is now available on bangggod.com for $485. It says for USA only.

http://www.banggood.com/Original-Xiaomi-Ninebot-700W-Balance-Stand-up-Electric-Scooter-p-1006840.html

Personally I would like to have 9bot EUC as well as Xiaomi mini. That way you can swap units with your son depending on mood. Besides it's a show off for the kid to have more than one practical toy ( not really a toy but just saying). Who knows, he could influence other kids to follow him. my 2 cents.

I like your thinking Planetapi.  LOL

I will wait for the Ninebot mini though for the extra features.  I love the remote control feature and am wondering if I could mount a tablet and Skype it as a remote telepresence bot. :)  Of course it would have a very short range being bluetooth.

1808yzqsw7h3ojpg.jpg

• 1 month later...

I have only seen the Asian mini Ninebot version being sold in the US, no one selling the Pro version anywhere, but the problem really is the cheaper version is being sold at Pro version price....so sad, even Ninebot American distributor is not carrying it, yet....

Having ridden Both Unicycles AND Hoverboards, there are pluses and minuses on each.  I had a 10" pneumatic Tire Hoverboard (wouldn't recommend smaller).

The Hoverboard is SUPER easy to handle at medium (8mph and below), slow, reversed, and stopped speeds.  My 78 Year Old Mother rode it!  At High speed, the Unicycle beats the pants off of it.  If he's in stop and go traffic on campus, the Hoverboard would be a better choice.  If riding indoors, the Hoverboard is a better choice. I ride the NineBot in the house, but it's a lot more challenging.  If he's traveling across campus, or in a hurry, then the Unicycle is better.  If he's going up and down Wheel Chair Ramps or large cracks, the Unicycle is better.  

I've ridden my Hoverboard over 6 miles and enjoyed it very much.  It's a bit slower, and at high speed a bit dangerous, but to get around obstacles/people at slow or medium speed, it cannot be beat (but NO bumps over about 1" tall).  You can also stand on it in crowds and it does not get out of control at all.

I already sold my Hoverboard to help finance my NineBot, and now I'm thinking I'll probably sell my TG F3 Unicycle and get another Hoverboard because it's fantastic indoors.

Having both is a perfect marriage.  Don't tell my wife. :huh:

I can see that the Hoverboard is much easier to maneuver at slow speeds. However in crowded and slow speed situations I increasingly find the width of my unicycle to be a limiting factor. Did you never experience width to be an issue with the Hoverboard? 

Me personally, no.  It is only slightly wider than my shoulders, 25" as opposed to 21".  I can see how it might be an issue for some at times though.  It was just so easy to maneuver, I never found it constricting.  I was even able to get through spaces just over 1 foot wide by wobbling back and forth through it.  I know you can do that on an EUC, but it's SO Simple on the Hoverboard.  You get to where you don't even think about how to ride it. It just DOES what you are doing.  It's strange, but also cool when it happens.

The only real issues I had were Some Wheelchair Ramps, 1" or larger Bumps, Inclines over 15 degrees (Some Wheelchair Ramps), Carrying if the Battery Died.  It's a bear to carry compared to EUC's that have handles or especially Trolley Handles.  It appears the Mini Pro has a longer Battery Life and more power, so a few of those issues seem to be resolved.

I agree, the more relevant factors are sufficient power (500W seem to suffice for me) and wheel size (I am yet undecided whether 14" suffices, and I can't imagine to go below 12").

The "Hover"board (mine has 10inch inflatable tyres) is indeed a solid one. And it is exactly as @SuperSport has put it... good and bad.

However, the Ninebot Mini is a different beast. My wife has ridden on both and she says the Mini isn't as fun to ride nor as maneuverable. This makes a lot of sense because the steering mechanism is completely different!

So go Ninebot Mini for comfort and stability but go for a normal "hover"board if you need the maneuverability.

2 minutes ago, playdad said:

However, the Ninebot Mini is a different beast. My wife has ridden on both and she says the Mini isn't as fun to ride nor as maneuverable. This makes a lot of sense because the steering mechanism is completely different!

So it steers like the Segway by using the Bar to steer?  I didn't realize that.  I never thought I'd like that method after having ridden the twisting Hoverboard steering method.  Mine was simply easy and reacted just like your brain/body wants it to.  After about an hour, there's no more thinking, just moving.

The bar seems to be in the way, and takes more body motion to make it work.

44 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

So it steers like the Segway by using the Bar to steer?  I didn't realize that.  I never thought I'd like that method after having ridden the twisting Hoverboard steering method.  Mine was simply easy and reacted just like your brain/body wants it to.  After about an hour, there's no more thinking, just moving.

The bar seems to be in the way, and takes more body motion to make it work.

Yup, 9bot mini requires the use of the steering bar but with your legs. It's definitely much more natural on the normal hovers with the feet! Kind of like skiing!

4 minutes ago, playdad said:

Yup, 9bot mini requires the use of the steering bar but with your legs. It's definitely much more natural on the normal hovers with the feet! Kind of like skiing!

Yeah, I found the foot control completely natural after a couple minutes.

I think with the swegways, EUs and even the NB mini are natural to use after just a short period of time.  It just takes some adjustments of your brain to change what you normally do while you walk.

For all of these devices, you have to rewire your brain to not react in the way it is used to.  It reminds me of a flinching game when I was a teenager.  Someone would feign a punch to you and if you flinched, they would get to actually punch you.  Once you played enough, you learned to turn off your flinch reflex.

With the Mini it appears that the height of the lean steering lever will be pretty important.  The higher up you have it, the more sensitive it will become.

8 minutes ago, Cranium said:

With the Mini it appears that the height of the lean steering lever will be pretty important.  The higher up you have it, the more sensitive it will become.

The Higher Up it goes, the more sensitive I will become... :unsure:  Too high, and I don't think I'll want to ride it anymore... :o

11 minutes ago, SuperSport said:

The Higher Up it goes, the more sensitive I will become... :unsure:  Too high, and I don't think I'll want to ride it anymore... :o

Maybe you could learn to steer it without even having to lean!  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanx lordd! And we can now officially call the mini Pro - the 'Thousandbuck'...

Would take a mini anyday over 'hoverthing', more sturdy built, that joint is the weak link that people have broke by stepping on it. My understanding is the Pro has a 800 w motor, 360 wh battery and regular a 500 w, 240 wh battery... Still don't have complete or right specs yet, though..

• 3 weeks later...

Archived