Foil surfing - videos

Bob Eisenman

I found the foil surfboard kind of interesting to watch...very fast..no wake

20200318153543-IMG-0839-2.jpg

The ability to foil surf independent of an external sail (or motor) was news to me. Here are four interesting videos I found on YouTube that use foil surfboards and waves (as power):

foil starts at 1:03 in the first video

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

I think @bigwaveon here actually teaches kite foiling. That last surfing video looks quite hypnotic (the music helps). It does look like some sort of sport you'd see on Star Trek. I suppose EUC's come into the same category. When the guy is pumping the board up and down is he accelerating over flat water? how long can you realistically keep that up ie could you go back to where the waves start without paddling?

13 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

I think @bigwaveon here actually teaches kite foiling. That last surfing video looks quite hypnotic (the music helps). It does look like some sort of sport you'd see on Star Trek. I suppose EUC's come into the same category. When the guy is pumping the board up and down is he accelerating over flat water? how long can you realistically keep that up ie could you go back to where the waves start without paddling?

@mike_bike_kite, Kite Foiling is the main sport I am involved with. I sell Kite/Windsurf Equipment as well. That surfing video features Keahi de Aboitiz who is one of the top watermen in the sport today. Pumping the foil is mostly dependent on your fitness level. It is quite a workout. Foiling is an amazing feeling. Sometimes, to an observer it might not look to exciting but the feeling that the rider gets is very special.