Msuper Pro after 430kms

Alexutlang

• Alexutlang changed the title to Msuper Pro after 430kms
5 hours ago, Alexutlang said:

Learned how to ride EUC Jan. 6, 2020 ... It’s very scary when it wobbles at 45 kph!...On my 2nd week with MSP I experience very minimal wobbles and reach 53 kph max speed with beeps...All my falls with MSP are below 10kph speed.

So far...

• Like 1

On 3/19/2020 at 4:49 PM, mike_bike_kite said:

So far...

All I can do is to gear up every time im riding my MSP. Hoping the next fall will not stop me from riding this beautiful machine. 

Thanks for the write up. I wonder what exactly is causing the wobbles, I generally assume a lack of wheel balancing but I'm not so sure it is simple as that. IE tire pressure or bearing dynamics or perhaps something else, or even a combination of factors which makes troubleshooting especially difficult.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roadpower said:

I wonder what exactly is causing the wobbles, I generally assume a lack of wheel balancing but I'm not so sure it is simple as that.

Many factors to a wobble, but the main one is leg muscles. An unexperienced rider can wobble on the most perfectly straight running and balanced wheel.

That’s not to say that a bumpy tire wouldn’t make things worse though.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, mrelwood said:

Many factors to a wobble, but the main one is leg muscles. An unexperienced rider can wobble on the most perfectly straight running and balanced wheel. That’s not to say that a bumpy tire wouldn’t make things worse though.

I'm beginning to suspect that wobbles might also be a natural characteristic of a EUC which as you indicate is either amplified or mitigated by the rider. This is very interesting stuff. I watched a video by U-Stride who is probably in a league of his own for competent riders who mentions wheel wobble during hard braking.

1 hour ago, Roadpower said:

I'm beginning to suspect that wobbles might also be a natural characteristic of a EUC which as you indicate is either amplified or mitigated by the rider.

In a way wobbling is inherent for every rolling circular object that is rounded at the edges (the shape of a motorcycle tire). When such an object rolls slowly enough, it will start to fall to the side, but the curved edge makes the object steer towards the fall. But the center of gravity tries to continue straight, flipping the fall to the other side. And so on.

The EUC behaves similarly, and has a lot more weight that tries to continue straight than just a rolling tire has. When a nervous rider is on top of a wheel that’s starting to do that, the rider’s tense legs together with ones natural self-preservation mechanisms amplify the process.

That’s how I understand it all at least. If I crouch at 40km/h, I will get a slight wobble in a few seconds, as my legs are tensing up to keep me in that pose. If I put both of my hands on top of one knee only, the resonating system is unsymmetrical and the wobble dies immediately. Leaning one leg at the wheel does the same thing.

Standing up dead straight also often diminishes the wobble, but don’t do that unless the road is perfectly flat, otherwise already a small bump can toss you off the pedals.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Roadpower said:

I'm beginning to suspect that wobbles might also be a natural characteristic of a EUC which as you indicate is either amplified or mitigated by the rider. This is very interesting stuff. I watched a video by U-Stride who is probably in a league of his own for competent riders who mentions wheel wobble during hard braking.

hmmm.. im of the belief that any side to side wobble is purely rider related.. its physically impossible unless you had an extremely poorly fit tire that an euc can wobble side to side on its own.. no matter how good of a rider anyone is, each wheel is different and if they havent ridden it before then its not going to react the same as what theyre used to and their muscles are trained for.. it can fall to the side obviously, yes.. but the motor goes forwards or backwards and there is one tire so it cant turn or go back and forth (left to right) only the rider can make it do that.. i have seen people with tens of thousands of km experience get bad wobbles on a new wheel there are many factors but inexperience (in general, or on that particular wheel) is always the main cause.. unless the rim is bent then yea is gonna be wonky lol

Edited by Rywokast
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

In a way wobbling is inherent for every rolling circular object that is rounded at the edges (the shape of a motorcycle tire). When such an object rolls slowly enough, it will start to fall to the side, but the curved edge makes the object steer towards the fall. But the center of gravity tries to continue straight, flipping the fall to the other side. And so on.

The EUC behaves similarly, and has a lot more weight that tries to continue straight than just a rolling tire has. When a nervous rider is on top of a wheel that’s starting to do that, the rider’s tense legs together with ones natural self-preservation mechanisms amplify the process.

That’s how I understand it all at least. If I crouch at 40km/h, I will get a slight wobble in a few seconds, as my legs are tensing up to keep me in that pose. If I put both of my hands on top of one knee only, the resonating system is unsymmetrical and the wobble dies immediately. Leaning one leg at the wheel does the same thing.

Standing up dead straight also often diminishes the wobble, but don’t do that unless the road is perfectly flat, otherwise already a small bump can toss you off the pedals.

Very interesting stuff there, I can see (or sense) how breaking resonance would eliminate a wobble. In engineering history the subject of resonance has come back many times as a source of trouble.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

hmmm.. im of the belief that any side to side wobble is purely rider related.. its physically impossible unless you had an extremely poorly fit tire that an euc can wobble side to side on its own.. no matter how good of a rider anyone is, each wheel is different and if they havent ridden it before then its not going to react the same as what theyre used to and their muscles are trained for.. it can fall to the side obviously, yes.. but the motor goes forwards or backwards and there is one tire so it cant turn or go back and forth (left to right) only the rider can make it do that.. i have seen people with tens of thousands of km experience get bad wobbles on a new wheel there are many factors but inexperience (in general, or on that particular wheel) is always the main cause.. unless the rim is bent then yea is gonna be wonky lol

I could get lost on this rabbit hole aspect of EUC's. :P I wonder if some riders innately default to a swaying style as a means to stay out of falling into a wobble. /ponder

13 hours ago, Roadpower said:

I could get lost on this rabbit hole aspect of EUC's. :P I wonder if some riders innately default to a swaying style as a means to stay out of falling into a wobble. /ponder

haha.. i do see a lot of people who constantly sway back and forth but i think its just a ride style nothing to do with wobbling

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, mrelwood said:

I was just looking to see if anyone else identified rider plus wheel as a resonating system when we get bad wobbles.

Interesting concept re: placing hands on the knee. I always figured accelerating or de-accelerating would move the wheel away from moving completely into its resonant frequency and throwing me off 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/24/2020 at 12:15 PM, Roadpower said:

I've been riding my MSP and My Z10 for approximately 6 months and almost the only time I get "Wobbles" is ; 1) If I forget to have one leg (my right) in contact with the wheel.

2) If I've been riding another wheel and then switch to another wheel.

Hit 64kph on my MSP Torque the other day, and loving it more every time I go out

• Like 1