Going to the park to ride in the time of COVID-19

GothamMike

1 hour ago, AlanR said:

Currently, Western Australian laws stipulate that electric scooters must travel at 10km/h or less, and “must not be used on footpaths and paths designed for shared use by pedestrians and bicycles.” Any unlicensed electric scooters may only be used on private property [13].  Other States have different laws. However, I have ridden around the city without Police ever having stopped me.   Average speed ~15 kph.  A commercial Segway hire company takes tourists around the city [Perth] footpaths!!!   I have not ridden this year due to the virus - hospitals are getting full with virus patients!

10 kph??????????? why even bother thats basically walking speed.. do they give you a ticket for jogging? who is biking at 10 kph?

55 minutes ago, AlanR said:

@RywokastExactly, ignorant officials don't bother to familiarise themselves with the facts before legislating.  It happens in all areas.

its despicable.. we are well into the 21st century, there are a lot of laws put into place by stuffy ignorant officials that badly need revising.. in all areas not just PEVs

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 3:20 AM, mrelwood said:

Not according to the Finnish law either. They are electrically assisted vehicles (or ”personal transportation devices”), just like e-bikes and e-wheelchairs.

Just like a station wagon without backseats can be a van, or moped cars (looks like a car but is registered as a moped), vehicles aren’t always classified as one would expect.

It's an Electric-Assisted Unicycle  EAUC! You still need to balance and steer! EUAC!

• Like 2

On 4/8/2020 at 4:03 AM, mike_bike_kite said:

It's a vehicle and it only has a motor to move it so, yes, it's a motorised vehicle. If you ride sensibly and don't annoy the cyclists then I'm sure you'll get fewer issues. 

I beg to differ, the cyclist around here are very rude. They speed past people without warning or saying anything.

I have music playing but not loudly, warn people I'm about to pass and on what side, slow down to pass, thank them, and say have a nice day.

The cyclists don't even reply or wave if you way or say hi when walking or biking. Totally rude!

• Like 2

I totally believe that bicycles and PLEVs can ride safely together in bicycle lanes but you have to understand their point of view. More cyclists are killed in Florida than any other US state. I'm guessing that they're killed by motor vehicles so they've been given a special lane to protect them. Then they come across you riding in their lane with a "motorised vehicle". Most folk I meet on bicycles tend to smile though I'll admit a few do laugh. We do have a few folk on the forum from Florida but I haven't heard them complain about cyclists. Maybe video you ride and let others comment?

There was this thread about some new law in Florida.

Some laws on the books are never enforced. I've seen bicyclists riding over 35mph in 15mph limit zones all the time, but never get cited. The number of bicyclists in proportion to EUC riders is incomparable. Going to the park is actually very pleasant these days with COVID happening..fewer people, people staying away from me and others... I am enjoying riding my EUC romantically. Those who are scared of the virus should continuing to stay home, those of us who are brave, life as usual....keep riding!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, mike_bike_kite said:

America is top of the charts for virus deaths. Glad to see you're doing your bit and to keep her up there.

Some thoughts are best left unsaid.

Bruce

• Like 2

On 3/22/2020 at 1:53 PM, xorbe said:

There are lots of pedal-assist bikes (ie, e-bikes) on the bike paths these days ... point that out to them.

That's the problem it's pedal assisted!!! Government see that as a big difference between electrified bikes!!! Some only allowing pedal-assist bikes... Why is pedal and petrol almost alike????😝

• Like 2

Sorry @scubadragosan, I think it's because every country has different rules on how how to stay safe and it's easy to apply our own local rules to those in other countries. I'm unfortunately in one of the high risk groups so I haven't been on my wheel for about a month now, in fact I haven't even been outside the house in 2 weeks. That makes me a little cranky.

Hover-bud and I did 5 miles Friday until the sun set.

Technically the State Parks are on lockdown, some people are revolting against the government orders, $5,000 fine. It was cold, 43F = 6C and bitter/strong/cold winds.

If someone has the virus and dies of a heart attack they are reporting a virus-related death, so the numbers here are very skewed. Hospitals sent home regular patients expecting many virus patients, and are now laying off staff due to so few people to care for (almost no virus patients at all, and the number of new infections is declining).

Having survived 17 reportedly near-world ending events, odds are in my favor I will survive this one also.

• Like 2

The last thing we all need is to politicize this forum. Let's all agree that we all have different opinions and beliefs about what is or isn't going on.

We can just stick to talking about the things we all love, EUCs!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AngryJackPCB said:

different opinions and beliefs about what is or isn't going on

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/robert-eisenman-362a572_sothis-morning-i-read-through-the-nature-activity-6647668736910245889-CErz

The virus has proteins which look like spikes on the surface of the assembled viral particle. The spike protein has a strong affinity for binding to a protein molecule expressed on the surface of human cell lung tissue.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763803

The amino acids at the contact points of viral binding to the lung molecule (ACE angiotensin converting converting enzyme) match the virus AA sequence found in bats and pangolin. In addition the virus has (later in it's jump to humans) developed an additional sequence which effects the rate of the spike/ACE complex to fuse with the lung cell membranes and initiate viral reproduction inside the lung cells. Social distancing is designed at reducing the probability that a COVID-19 disease causing virus (exhaled) from someone nearby binds to your lung cells when you breath in.

Disease coronavirus disease (COVID-19)

Virus severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

Doctors and nurses can fill you in about the effect of this viral infection on lungs and the ability of an infected person to survive in worst cases where a ventilator becomes needed.

Edited by Bob Eisenman
  • Like 1

When I am riding my EUC, the least I am concerned with is COVID. Car accidents related deaths 3,287 deaths a day. Riding EUC 24/7 and most likely you won't have to worry about COVID at all.... Keep riding!

Edited by scubadragosan
  • Like 3

Lots of invulnerable supermen in this thread. They forget that social distancing isn't just for them but for everyone, including the people with no insurance and the people with compromised immune systems.

• Like 1

RE: "America is top of the charts for virus deaths."

It's funny, when the US wins something in the Olympics, everyone says "it's not fair, the US is massive, like a large portion of Europe combined".

But with any kind of problem/social ill like covid deaths, then everyone wants to say things like "oh look, the US is top of the charts for virus deaths". Let's start combining even just a couple European countries to see how the stats play out:

• Just Italy and Spain combined have around 25% more covid deaths than the whole of the US.
  • Just the UK and Spain combined have around the same amount of covid deaths than the whole of the US.

..despite these country combinations having a fraction of the population of the US.

Edited by AtlasP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stillhart said:

Lots of invulnerable supermen in this thread. They forget that social distancing isn't just for them but for everyone, including the people with no insurance and the people with compromised immune systems.

Those people can do what is right for them, by all means; I don't know their health concerns and most likely couldn't care for them properly if I did. I have a life to lead, and I'm not getting any younger.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

@Bob Eisenman  Medical supplies from China... I hope it's a different China that supplied Spain, Netherlands and Czechia.

On Saturday, the Dutch health ministry announced it had recalled 600,000 face masks. The equipment had arrived from a Chinese manufacturer on 21 March, and had already been distributed to front-line medical teams.

Dutch officials said that the masks did not fit and that their filters did not work as intended, even though they had a quality certificate

"The rest of the shipment was immediately put on hold and has not been distributed,” a statement read. “Now it has been decided not to use any of this shipment.”

• Like 1

On 4/14/2020 at 5:45 PM, WI_Hedgehog said:

Those people can do what is right for them, by all means; I don't know their health concerns and most likely couldn't care for them properly if I did. I have a life to lead, and I'm not getting any younger.

:cheers:    I refuse to live in fear. I refuse to hide from life. I refuse to give a rats ass. My time will come and I've been ready for a while now. If people are worried, stay home. They shouldnt project personal worry onto how I live my life.  Just be ready, as this is bound to happen again and again and again. Allowing covid fears to shape politics, now THAT does scare me. I worry more for the economy and the remaining 95%.

Edited by ShanesPlanet
preachy bullshit
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, atdlzpae said:

The aircraft was hired by a Canadian company to make the delivery. Apparently China hosts many Canadian employees as well.😁😉🧐😷

"We decided to rent ourselves an Antonov and fill it with equipment that the government needs,”

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/mobile/largest-cargo-plane-touches-down-with-covid-19-supplies-in-quebec-1.4922002

The aircrafts refueling in Anchorage , AK is what caught my attention. Sort of the opposite of US fighter jets intercepting Russian bombers flying too close to Alaska, if you catch my thinking.

• Like 1