How hot is too hot!

scap

I love trail riding on mountain bike trails. Near my home there are lots of steep ups and down and since using EUC world and having it blurt out info about the trip I now realize just how hot my wheels are getting. I have two wheels a V10F and a MSX 100V. I was riding the V10F and heard EUC World say 93C and I was like that can't be right so I pulled over and sure enough it was that hot. I had to stop for 30 minutes just to get the wheel to come back down to 50C. I though the temp might not be reported right so I used the inmotion app and it really was that hot. Guess I got lucky and didn't burn the board up cause I don't think it it suppose to get that hot. What REALLY surprised me is that there didn't appear to be a thermal alarm on the V10F. The MSX does better on the trail and I have a 65C alarm set up but about halfway through the trail near my home it goes off and I have to stop or walk for 5 minutes before continuing on. This happens multiple times after that and i would be nice if EUC world had a alarm silence feature that would silence an on going alarm until it went back below the threshold. Sometimes I finish riding to the top of the incline I am on before getting off and it takes a bit for the alarm to go down 1 or 2 C to shut it off. I ride both my wheels with the pedals in the firmest setting (don't know if that matters) and I am a heavier rider 100Kg. 

I guess I don't need overheat hill. I have overheat trail. How hot do you guys let your wheels get to? 

• Like 1

I havent managed to run mine anywhere near that hot, but it is still wintertime. I'd bet its a thing that varies by device quite a bit. I'll be following to see what other people say...

Edited by ShanesPlanet

I thought the V10F was supposed to have a much lower overheat limit than where you got it up to. Not sure what to think about that, shouldn’t be possible.

Temperature, current and power readings are not at all comparable between different wheel models. The sensors are located that much differently. MSX reporting temps 30 degrees lower than the V10F doesn’t make the Mosfets that much cooler, if at all.

Back in the day I did reach similiar temps with the Lhotz regularly, and I know the Mosfets can still happily function. Don’t remember the actual thermal limit though.

3 hours ago, scap said:

I was riding the V10F and heard EUC World say 93C and I was like that can't be right so I pulled over and sure enough it was that hot.

Afair the V10 measures temperature for the alarm at the heatsink near the mosfets. But they reported still the air temperature in the app, because the heatsink temperatures seemed too high for the users?

Most/all other wheels measure just somewhere the air tempurature.

So the values are absolutely not comparable...

On 3/16/2020 at 2:10 AM, scap said:

I had to stop for 30 minutes just to get the wheel to come back down to 50C.

You can ride downhill in a very smooth manner and quickly reduce the temperature. The air circulating through a wheel is faster than a unpowered sitting wheel, but a powered sitting wheel with fans inside it will also reduce the temperature.

Personally, when I see the temperature go above 80 c or so, or the fans turn on, or if it's just a long hill, I just walk the wheel for a few minutes. I've been stranded like you for thirty minutes or so, because once the wheel gets that hot it takes so long to come down, and you can't ride the wheel when it puts itself in max tiltback mode.

• Like 1

This is a good tip. Instead of waiting, ride the wheel in a no-high-stress scenario (e.g. downhill or just normal flat riding at moderate speed), if you can. The wind will cool it much faster than waiting for a still wheel to cool takes.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

Unfortunately these hills are constant up and down there is no flat or long downhill. I did a test last night just holding on to something and going back and forth. The inmotion app displays the motherboard temp while euc world uses the mosfet temp. Also I found that the wheel has thermal protection at 95C on the mosfets so I was really close when I rode. I am wondering if there are any easy mods I could do to improve the cooling. It seems like the way the wheel is built there is very little if any fresh air getting into the motherboard area. The motherboard area has a gasket and is water tight. We are relying on the heatsink which only really cools the mosfet. After an hour of riding the trails the motherboard temp is so high that the heatsink isn't enough to cool anything and it take a long time (30 minutes) in my case to cool down.