Videos for an old newbie.

HuskerDawg

Hey Folks-

About 3 total hours into my training on riding my KS18L. Progress is great. I can now ride the length of my yard which is about 50'. I am certain I could ride now on the streets but I am being cautious to not get over confident. I am having some difficulty in taking off. Seems I can't get the wheel to go forward rapidly to hop on. I am practicing in grass so that doesn't help that part. I did manage to start on my own in the driveway and then out onto the lawn. It wont be long.......

I did have a question about the videos I see on here. I have some buddies demanding videos of me riding. (they dont believe me when I tell them I'll be riding soon) As my introduction thread stated, I am 55 yrs old. 

Anyway, I notice on almost all the videos, you can't see the selfie sticks. What app are you guys using or is that an editing trick? I assume a lot of them are filmed with cell phones? 

Thanks for all the info and help so far. Much appreciated and I am enjoying the hell out of this new found hobby. I'd like to make some great videos like I see on here.

38 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

Anyway, I notice on almost all the videos, you can't see the selfie sticks. What app are you guys using or is that an editing trick?

The Insta 360 family of cameras has this "magic" (computational) selfie-stick removal.

It's a fantastic effect. Such a small idea, making such a huge improvement in the video. Brilliant. Like having a personal camera drone.

Not sure if any other cameras or software exist that do that.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

Thanks Meep, I see they are costly too and are not getting high reviews. 

I don't know what reviews you are looking at, but the Insta 360 X is widely considered the best 360 camera available. GoPro also makes one that auto-magically removes the selfie stick.

• Like 2

Amazon reviews, of course. Amazon is the only place to buy things these days isn't it? :) I like to see above 90% on anything I purchase if I am in doubt. Otherwise if I want it I dont care what others think of the quality. I'll check the GoPro's out too. 

Insta and gopro can both be purchased directly from manufacturer, without having to feed the evil amazon empire. Insta360 out of china is currently on hold because of viral issues.  I have a gopro enroute. I am pretty sure i am going to be shocked at how much more processing these 360 cams are going to take. The REAL question is, do you have a phone or computer to handle them? If you dont NEED 360 video, there are lots of options for a lot less with a lot less workflow/processing involved.  Even an old ass gopro or camera phone can probably make good vids. I think its mostly about content and HOW you use the stuff. I am not much for either. Good luck!

• Like 1

Exactly right SP. I have to decide whether or not I'd even use a 360 very often. The other consideration for me just learning these wheels, is crash effect LOL. 

Probably not a good idea for me to rush the video thing. Having money on the end of stick while trying not to crash might be an unwanted and unsafe distraction. :)

Last thing I'd need is a bruised ego, broken elbow, and a ruined $1000 iPhone............

• Like 2

i have fun carrying an old outdated gopro 3 in my hand.  Its small, fits in the pocket, simple and i find it less worrysome than a selfie stick.  It has no stabilization, you can see how videos with and without, differ. Best thing about the cheaper gopro is i am not too scared to break it as ebay $100 would replace it.  It works especially fine to set up on a tripod. Having a stick in my hand does detract from the wholesome riding experience a little. It doesnt make me MUCH worse a rider, but it IS a distraction.  The worry of what will happen with a $500 gopro on a cheap stick, is real. Put your phone up on a tripod and film yourself zooming by. Just that alone will baffle your friends. Our HUGE video thread has so much to watch, you can direct them to it.. plenty of old crusty guys in there too!:whistling:

Edited by ShanesPlanet

Well this kind follow the thread so here goes. 

How long a stick you need to get a good perspective on the insta360 one R. 

I were thinking mounting on a stick on a side pocket of my backpack. So it will slightly behind and above me. 

I don't fancy to ride with a stick in my hand

24 minutes ago, HuskerDawg said:

I have to decide whether or not I'd even use a 360 very often.

Don't see these 360 cameras as 360 cameras, that does them a great injustice. See them as regular action cameras that magically film exactly what you would have wanted to film in hindsight. Because you can freely adjust the field of view later, as often as you like, in any way you like (just some editing work required choosing the perspective). That's their real strength - not some 360 gimmicky stuff.

Why would anybody still use a regular action camera now that 360 cams exist? They're brilliant. That's how I see them.

So ask yourself how often you would use a general purpose action camera.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

I see the 360 as a way to catch 1080p footage but not have to aim anywhere. It seems that it comes at a cost. Similar action cameras take better low light pictures, have more clarity and require less processing power in most cases. If i were to know the action is in front of me, or wanted to film events, i dont think a 360 cam would be a better choice. However, we ride around and want to film 360, not knowing what may be of interest later. FOr this, the 360 cam wins hands down. Maybe Im wrong, but it seems the 360 doesnt replace a good action cam and a good action cam cant replace a 360. Of course, a 360 CAN do flat action, and a flat action cam can't do 360. Horses for courses? Please correct me if im wrong in this.

• Like 2

The benefit of 360 filming is you can fix a bad position of the camera to some degree.

Yes you can't fix it to film you from lower angle if you placed it high. But you can fix the view angle of where the camera is 'pointing'.

I have not a 360 camera myself. But I think that is why I would buy a 360 camera over an ordinary action cam. 

But we shall see. It depends what wheels are coming out if I might look at a new camera.

In that case the insta360 one R hold most interest as I view it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/15/2020 at 6:58 PM, Unventor said:

Well this kind follow the thread so here goes. 

How long a stick you need to get a good perspective on the insta360 one R. 

I were thinking mounting on a stick on a side pocket of my backpack. So it will slightly behind and above me. 

I don't fancy to ride with a stick in my hand

i fuond that a short selfie stick is pretty decent IF you dont mind lifting your arms. You cant rest it on your shoulder tho, as its too close to your head to get much forward angles. The short stick I use is the gopro tripod/stick, its 22" long. For the awesome video that looks like a drone flying and to be able to park it on your shoulder comfortably, I use the 'el grande' gopro stick. its about 38" long. With arm raised and long stick, the camera lenses make it seem REALLY high up there, REALLY HIGH)I do prefer the longer stick for recording, but the shorter with tripod is less to carry and has a tripod. The longer gopro stick has to be modded to be invisible, as it has a stupid ball joint on it...dumbasses!  In the future, Ill carry both, as i have empty pockets and a tripod angle view is very handy.  Most of my videos to date, are with a shorter stick, but i really do think the viewer would prefer the longer. Im currently trying to upload an HOUR long ride with the gopro Max and tripod/selfie stick. If i could have only one stick, it probably would be the short/tripod. Half price with gopro coverage, its worth the $30, not sure more tho(impressed by the feel/quality of it for sure). If you wanted just one stick and wanted to stick it in a pocket and not carry it, it'll have to be a long one to get over your head.  I too am looking into using the longer via pocket or simple belt loop.  Regardless of brand, get something not TOO flimsy, and be prepared to need different tools for different angles.

Edited by ShanesPlanet