Traveling the Wrong Way in Narrow Bike Lanes

Lillian

Has anyone noticed this? 

There are new bike lanes in Manhattan, and I was excited to see them crop up over the past winter season. 

They were relatively empty the further West (like 11th Ave), but the warmer it gets, the more they've filled up with people traveling the wrong way.

Yesterday, I saw a man on a moped with a passenger use the bike lane!! :mellow: Today, I saw a delivery rider on an electric bike traveling extremely fast the wrong way up the bike lane. I recorded pedestrians overtaking the lane (also the wrong way).

This type of stuff makes me, a less street savvy rider, want to walk my EUC home after work when it's crowded. 

Any thoughts on this?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

There are new bike lanes in Manhattan, and I was excited to see them crop up over the past winter season. 

Are there ‘Bike Lane’ signs posted?  Better yet ‘No Pedestrians Allowed’! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Are there ‘Bike Lane’ signs posted?  Better yet ‘No Pedestrians Allowed’! 

There are bikes painted in the lanes, and green denotes bike lanes. Although technically, that excludes PEVs too. 

See here:

Edited by Lillian

6 minutes ago, Bob Eisenman said:

image-1.jpg

Wow!

24 minutes ago, /Dev/Null said:

In Chicago this is never enforced.  NEVER.  I pretty much just avoid the bike lane if anyone is in it.

I think I might too.

"Questions about Sidewalks

If you have a question about sidewalks in New York City, or would like to comment on the services of DOT's sidewalk inspectors or private contractors, please click here to submit your inquiries or concerns. You can also visit 311 Online or write to:
Sidewalk Program
New York City Department of Transportation
55 Water Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10041"

https://www1.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/infrastructure/sidewalkintro.shtml

• Like 1

In my experience, at least where I live (70K inhabitant town near Barcelona, Spain), bike lanes are completely disregarded by pedestrians and viewed as "quaint, painted extensions of the sidewalk" :efee612b4b:

I normally ride on the road, as I feel (ironically) safer, but in more congested areas or where drivers regularly almost double the speed limit, I do ride in bike lanes, although I can see why riding on the road could be intimidating in NYC (I don't know if I'd dare to do so myself).

I've been meaning edit together a few clips demonstrating what trying to cross my city on a bike lane is like, but never get r'ound to it. Maybe I'll overcome my laziness and share it here

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bob Eisenman said:

image-1.jpg

What do people expect when you combine the most dense city in the US with the least efficient form of transportation?

Those bicyclists and pedestrians are just fighting for the crumbs left over from the drivers taking all ten cookies.

• Like 2

Well different countries different laws. 

I grew up in Denmark using my bike going everywhere. Cars were too expensive (new cars were taxed 180%) for me and I didn't get my drivers licence until I were about 23years old. 

Long story a bit shorted, we had lots of bikes in traffic so cars and pedestrian knew to look out for us. 

Then moving to Sweden 12 years ago, I could afford a car (no new registration tax at all). Also here they were not used to bikes in traffic. So the city have bike lanes but not many and not used that much. 

In the past 5-6 years traffic has been transforming. First congratulations charges zones, then public transport got mot experience and then government made an payback scheme to get more car drivers on bike or rather ebikes. And now we got seneral escooters rentals too. 

So this is what happened. First we saw more bike lane appear. But they are way to narrow as not all streets had this consideration in their design. Also nearly all on them are 2 way on both sides of the road/Street. And some on their ebikes ride like it is a race track. 

So here is the point. People go as fast as they think they can. But others around the them do not share their confidence (both in own and others around them) if you then add an EUC rider into this then it becomes even more chaotic. 

By traffic law EUC are treated as a bike, but only allowed to go 20kmh. Ebikes can assist riders upto 25kmh. So this create a conflight. Speedlimit on bike lanes are 30kmh. So this 3 tier speed thing keeps making hold on their right and none consider what is reasonable under the circumstances and with weather and congestion. 

Now you add people with headphones and dogs on long retractable leaches.... 

And I hear people want to go faster yet on their EUC... 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Unventor said:

here is the point. People go as fast as they think they can. But others around them do not share their confidence (both in own and others around them) if you then add an EUC rider into this then it becomes even more chaotic. 

We could change urban traffic laws so that people pulling out in front of others would have the right of way. 

• 4 weeks later...