lineslim

Hoverboard charging problem

Hi,

My hoverboard will not charge the battery - the charger LED stays green. The battery is almost new, and charges fine when the charger is directly attached to it (the yellow connector). I ran the hoverboard untill battery voltage was around 39.5V, but it still wont charge. I have battery voltage at the mainboard where the battery connects, and charger voltage (41V) at the connector on the mainboard coming from the charger inlet. Somehow the voltage is not let through the mainboard to the battery. There are no error blinks on the mainboard (only nine when turned upside down) and the howerboard works just fine when riding it. It will not power up with only charger attached (battery disconnected). WIth battery and charger disconnected I have about 15V where the battery connects to the mainboard (and at the yellow battery connector towards the mainboard). When shorting the on/off switch this voltage drops slowly and rises again when the short is removed. Guess it is some of the capacitors holding charge. I have tried recalibrating without any change.

Any ideas on what causes this error? Any suspect mainboard components? I would really appreciate some advice!

I have pictures but did not see how to insert them, I will try and insert afterwards

Get a voltmeter...read the output of charger...got the voltage??? Then you need to start tearing down vehicle....could be broken wire to blown inline fuse or bad battery bank...

Batteries for these things are cheap...but if bad, don't throw away only one bad cell will render it 'useless', you can use for other projects...

·        Always plug the battery charger into the electric scooter, bike, or go kart before plugging into wall outlet. When charging is complete unplug charger from wall outlet before unplugging from scooter or bike.

·        To get the most life out of your batteries recharge them as soon as possible after every ride, even very small rides. Leaving a scooter battery in a partially discharged state lowers the useful life of the battery.

·        When an electric scooter, bike, or go kart is in storage or not being used frequently recharge the batteries at least every 30 days.

·        The Amperage of the battery charger may be decreased for longer battery life, or increased for a quicker recharge time. (see charging rate chart below)

·        To preserve the life of the batteries use a slow rate battery charger whenever possible. If a scooter is driven for more than one battery cycle per day then using a smaller battery charger overnight, and a larger battery charger during the day is the best solution.

• When replacing electric scooter or bike batteries replace all of the batteries at the same time and with the same brand of batteries.

5 hours ago, Terry Michael said:

·        To get the most life out of your batteries recharge them as soon as possible after every ride, even very small rides. Leaving a scooter battery in a partially discharged state lowers the useful life of the battery.

What's the argument behind this? I could not see any reason for this advice?

·        When an electric scooter, bike, or go kart is in storage or not being used frequently recharge the batteries at least every 30 days.

One should constantly charge only, if the device is draining battery (even if turned off)! Which would be a bit of a design fault - but getting batteries to empty is the worst to happen.

The best would be storage just at about 50%-60% state of charge.